NGD: Gypsy Jazz Machine

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by will_shred, Sep 13, 2017.

1. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

This isn't actually an NGD, I've had the guitar for about a month now, but I just decided to post it now. The guitar plays like a dream and sounds wonderful*. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, considering that most selmer copies are insanely expensive, at least the ones that really capture the authentic selmer sound. These days I mostly play gypsy jazz, I haven't touched my electrics very much. I can't upload pics because photobucket sucks, SSO says the file size is too large, and imgur is blocked. So here are some google drive links.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Y9JChtaockUUtadWp0YWt3aDQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Y9JChtaockRGxFLVVxYWlqUGs/view?usp=sharing

*After an extensive setup and fret job.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Happy NGD!

I love these types of guitars, but actually never owned one. My first Django album was actually one of the ones where he went electric.

Are you comfortable disclosing any more information about this axe? Make/model, how/where it was obtained? Does it have an adjustable truss rod? Does the cat butt in the photo improve bottom end resonance? Etc.

3. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Lol yeah my bad, its an Altamira M01-D antique. I was going to go with the more expensive M-20D, but I talked to a luthier who specializes in Selmer copies and he said that the laminated rosewood back and sides would actually be better than solid wood for the kind of sound these guitars are supposed to have. The stiffer construction gives it more midrange bite and volume, plus the original selmers (which now go between $20,000-$40,000) are made from laminate. I went for the antique because I really like how the oil finish looks and feels. Purchased from Djangobooks. This guitar ran me $1400 in total, which is a fairly good price for a quality selmer copy considering most of them are at least $2000. The otherall build quality is very good, all the joints are very clean, no excess glue between pieces of wood, the binding is perfect, ect. It needed a neck adjustment, fret job, and bridge adjustment upon arrival though. I'm told that this is normal for this brand.

The cat butt improves the low end resonance in the mix, but I think it might have a bit too much bottom end.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    bostjan likes this.