NGD...Godin Belmont...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by BlackSG91, Jun 9, 2018.

1. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Well I've seen this guitar sitting in the pawn shop for a few weeks and I finally pulled the trigger on this second-hand Godin Belmont guitar. Mine according to the serial # I assume is a 2014. They are called now the Richmond Belmont under the Godin name and are made in their newest factory in Richmond, Quebec, Canada. The Richmond series has other models like the Dorchester and Empire guitars. The Belmont has genuine Seymour Duncan pick ups in it and a Bigsby vibrato unit which looks really cool and has that vintage vibe to it. I made a deal at the pawn shop and got the guitar for $525 NO tax! It came with a very well padded soft-shell case.

I cleaned it up thoroughly when I got home with it. I took off the old strings and cleaned the rosewood fret board with soap and water and let dry. Then I applied a few coats of FB lemon oil and let it soak in between applications. It's very well-conditioned now and I also polished the frets with Brasso. I took off the Bigsby & pick guard and cleaned the body up very well with guitar polish. I took the neck off to see if the neck pocket was clean which it was and then I used plumbers tape to wrap around the neck screws for a tighter fit. I put on a fresh new set of Ernie Ball Slinky strings (10-46) and tuned it up. I then loosened the neck screws a quarter turn so the string tension would pull in the neck more for better contact and then I re-tightened the screws nice and snug. This guitar really rings in sound and has great sustain.

Here are some specs on the guitar. The scale length of the fret board is 24.75". The body is made of solid mahogany for great resonance. The neck is also made of mahogany with a rosewood FB. The colour of the body is called Laurentian white with a 3-ply black pick guard. The pick ups include 2 Seymour Duncan Lipstick Tube single-coils and a Duncan '59 in the bridge position. The tonal diversity on this guitar is fabulous. I get all the vintage tones I need out of all these pick ups. The shaping of the neck uses Godin's Ergocut shaping technique which feels ultra comfortable in my left hand. The fret board radius is 12" for easier bending of the strings. The guitar is equipped with a Bigsby B-5 Vibrato unit and a bridge with roller-saddles which is a bonus in tuning stability & less chance of string breakage.

Here's some pictures from Imgur below and the guitar sort of is like a cross between a Gibson SG and a Fender Stratocaster. It has bevelling on the inner horns front & back with a belly cut like a Strat. Half the top of the body is arched a bit and the curves on this guitar have very good ergonomics to it. The guitar has Schaller strap lock buttons on the body which is another bonus and not having to worry about your guitar falling off the strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a video review on the Belmont which shows off it's wonderful tones.

;>)/

2. fps

fps Kit

Sounds so sweet!

BlackSG91 likes this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Cool guitar!
    Godin guitars are phenomenal for the price, especially when you buy them in Canada.

AxeHappy and BlackSG91 like this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Godin makes wonderful guitars. I just got a new Montreal Premiere, and it is a really excellent instrument.

AxeHappy, BlackSG91 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Beauty guitar, I had a Godin SDxt years ago foolishly traded it for an amp because I had no real amp at the time, that's the one gear trade/sell I regret.

Well I miss some other gear but that had to be sold for life reasons so no point being sad about that, always love Godins though, often browse around kijiji hoping one of the ones with the floyd will pop up.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

No americans replying yet? :lol:

Godin makes great instruments, but their neck profile isn't for me :(.

AxeHappy and BlackSG91 like this.
  7. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

HNGD! It took me about 10 years to get my first Godin and now I own two (xTSA and Redline Nemesis) and neither of those can be beaten in term of quality or playability for the price I paid for (well technically I traded a Chinese Hagstrom Viking Baritone for the xTSA but I still feel like I was on the better part of the trade).

Anyway, I'll check the video when I'll be back home on Thursday, really interested in hearing yours in action.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  8. BlackSG91

I just noticed the pictures of my guitar don't show up now...got the pics from Imgur. Has anyone else experienced this problem and maybe suggest another image hosting website? At least the guitar in the video looks just like mine.

;>)/

9. Vostre Roy

Yeah IMGUR has blocked SSO as it does not comply with their policy. I usually uses Google Pictures and everything is fine and dandy. Linking directly from Facebook is also a good option, beside that its getting harder and harder to find a proper image hosting website

BlackSG91 and AxeHappy like this.
  10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

I own a Godin, fantastic guitar. Needs a hair more attention to the fret area, but it’s very solid.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  11. BlackSG91

Thanks for all your replies and it looks like some of you had good experiences with Godin guitars. I have Google Photos like Vostre Roy mentioned so I'll try to post some pictures of my guitar. If anyone can't or can see them let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;>)/

Vostre Roy likes this.
  12. Vostre Roy

They show just fine, awesome looking guitar and that Bigsby suits it very well, give it a nice little vintage vibe.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  13. BlackSG91

Hey thanks for the compliment...much appreciated my friend. It looks like the pictures only show up when I'm signed into Google Photos and when I'm signed out the pictures don't show for some reason. I'll have to figure something out on which is the best image hosting site for posting pics on this forum. Well here are some Google Images of the guitar (not mine but basically the same exact) that should show indefinitely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;>)/

14. silverabyss

silverabyss

I like Godins, nice score OP

BlackSG91 likes this.