NGD Flaxwood Custom

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by newmountain, Feb 13, 2018.

1. newmountain

newmountain SS.org Regular

Just out of the box - A Flaxwood Custom w Dimarzio Air Norton & ToneZone
    Schaller locking tuners, Schaller LP trem..looks nice
    2.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      89.7 KB
      Views:
    Pablo, blacai, AxeHappy and 8 others like this.
  2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Very nice!

I like that color! Does it look 'pearly' in real life?

HNGD

3. newmountain

newmountain SS.org Regular

Yes, it is pearly

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Congrats! I've had a Flaxwood Rautia for quite a few years and been very happy with it.

5. NickS

NickS Carvinite

HNGD! Looks great. Could just be the way the pics look, but the neck looks really wide, what is the radius and nut width?

vilk likes this.
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It looks like that because the body and headstock are quite small. The body is maybe a tad smaller than a Strat and the headstock a bit shorter too. I don't know if they've changed the neck dimensions on newer models but on mine the nut width is 42 or 43mm (didn't have a caliper for measuring properly) and radius is probably something like 12".

7. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Finally someone else who likes Flaxwood guitars! I played a Rautia in a local music store like 8-9 years ago and to this day its still one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. I should really pick one of these up at some point...

USMarine75 likes this.
  8. odibrom

odibrom .

Nice, I'm surprised these don't pop up more often in SSO...

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They were all the rage for about a minute. Especially when Zimbloth did some astro-turfing for them when The Axe Palace started selling them.

Bigfan, USMarine75 and odibrom like this.
  10. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Looks sweet HNGD man!

11. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

Congratulations on picking up an absolutely brilliant piece of kit - I hope it will serve you well and inspire you for years to come!

I think the reason why Flaxwood hasn't really caught on in the mainstream is threefold:

1) Price. Flaxwood guitars are rather expensive instruments and don't seem to hold their value too well on the used market... at least not as well as the more obvious and traditional counterparts in their respective price brackets.

2) Alternative materials. Guitarists in general are traditionalists, so you are really aiming your product at progressive, forward thinking guitarists, that couldn't care less about tradition, which leads neatly to...

3) Design. I know taste is the very essence of subjectivity... However, to me Flaxwood's design is somewhere between traditional and naive - which seems rather odd for such a tech based guitar builder... that must sell its instruments to non-conformist guitar buyers.

My experience with Flaxwood is limited to two instruments that I tried within months of each other a few years back. However, both instruments left a decidedly good impression. Both guitars were really well built and sounded excellent, combining fullness and clarity to just about perfection.

Yet, I'll never buy one! Why, you ask? Well, I'm a shallow bastard and just don't like how they look! Moreover, to underpin my shallowness, even though I was won over by both tone and playability, I simply can't bring myself to part with a kidney for an instrument that I find aesthetically challenging when there are so many excellent and beautiful instruments out there that I haven't bought yet.

With that said, if you dig the design and don't care about resale value, you really owe it to yourself to give a Flaxwood a serious spin - they are excellent instruments.

Cheers

Eske

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    odibrom likes this.
  12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

To me the design is pretty conservative with nothing off or particularly exciting about it. Just a PRS-inspired shape.

USMarine75 likes this.
  13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I've never seen one in that color before. What a score!

I have a green Rautia that I absolutely love. First time I tried one was at Axepalace (as Max noted) and I was impressed, but they were too expensive for an impulse buy (IIRC $2499?). I ended up randomly finding one for sale for such an absolutely ridiculous price and immediately drove 4 hours to go pick it up. The crazy story was that a shop had repossessed a guitar the buyer didn't make payments on (???) and for some reason he was short some of the cash, so he gave the store his Flaxwood to make up the difference. It was a high end acoustic only place and he had no idea what to do with the Flaxwood, so he just sold it off (to me) on the cheap!

Anywho, the marble green is cool, but that pearl is amazing!

14. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

my biggest gripe with the likes of Flaxwood, Switch, and the like (and formerly with Aristides) has been the lack of 24 fret and trem options - As if the plastic guitars having a full two octaves is what would alienate the traditionalists.

Still, very jealous.

15. USMarine75

FWIW... For strat, tele, jazz, fusion, and blues tones (and anyone else that likes the mellow neck sound), getting the neck pickup far enough away with standard scale length (24.75", 25", 25.5"), means they usually require a 21 or 22 fret guitar to get the pickup properly located.

Then there's the proper location of the pickup with respect to harmonic overtones. Per EVH:

"Then I started experimenting with the distance where the pickup was placed and the way it reacts with the string. I use my finger as a gauge. It’s like this. [Ed plays harmonics on the low E string, working his way up the neck from the nut to the saddle.] There’s harmonic in the root. That’s where you want the pole piece centered. I’ve checked other guitars and they just stick the pickups anywhere. That can cause all these dissonant overtones that make you go, “Shit! Where the hell did that come from?” Not many people know that. The pickup obviously picks up the sound from the strings. If it’s underneath a dissonant harmonic, it’s going to sound dissonant."

Conversely, there's comfort. 21/22 frets on a 25.5" have greater spacing than 24 crammed into the same length. So for horizontal stretch personally I prefer 24, especially since I do a lot of lengthy legato stretches myself. So I have a bunch of different guitars depending on my mood and style I'm going for. And I get where it would be nice to have that option. But a lot of these companies have a certain segment of the market they're after, and Flaxwood is obviously targeting the modern-vintage crowd that wants something rooted in the classics (like a Gibson or Collings), but flashier (like a Suhr or Anderson).

All that said, they're bolt on necks... how hard can it be from a factory point to make a 22 and a 24? The only body change should be the different neck pickup route? Seems like a small change to make to add a customer base. Especially when they already offer the more modern looking Aija with EMGs:

http://www.flaxwood.com/models/emg-h+emg-t+aija/
    [​IMG]

I personally think this might have sold better (a la Aristides) if they had 24 frets, 7-string, and maybe OFR as options? Because they play and sound fantastic... and the flaxwood material should have been a hit with this more eco-friendly generation.

16. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

Never change, guy.

17. USMarine75

eh?

18. McBrain

McBrain SS.org Regular

I may just be misunderstandig you, but you do know that the distance between the frets have to be matched with the string/scale length right? The frets on a 25.5" scale guitar would be spaced exactly the same even if you had 30 frets. You would just have more frets.

They would also need to change the cutaway if they want to keep the great access to the last two frets. To avoid too much fretboard overhang, a different neck pocket would probably also be a good idea. An alternative would be to move the neck further away from the body, by using the original neck pocket but with a 24 fret neck without overhang, then the neck pocket and cutaway would still work, but then they would have to move the bridge, bridge pickup and all the controls along with the neck. This could however change the balance of the guitar making it neck heavy (probably not a problem with the Aija model) and then they would have to move the strap buttons or make the upper horn longer.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

To me, the Flaxwood stuff is decidedly less attractive than a PRS. However, that was pretty much my point: Flaxwood is packaging high tech innovation as blandly as humanly possible to cater to traditionalists... that will end up buying Fenders and Gibsons anyway!

20. USMarine75

It was 3am lol. Yeah now that I think about it that's why the neck pickup has to move in is to accommodate for the extra frets, since the scale is the same and the location of the 12th fret has to be the same.

It's probably why you never see Pondman trying to buy my custom built guitars... :lol:

Bigfan and McBrain like this.