NGD - First 8 String, Schecter Content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vyn, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

So through a rather convoluted trade deal I ended up with this 2015 Schecter Blackjack SLS. I think I'll keep it because it's nice to have as an option, and it's a really nice guitar, very well finished and acoustically sounds great. I'm not a fan of the stock AHB-1 Blackouts, they are definately going.

I was surprised at just how easy it was to play - the neck profile is really comfortable and it never feels like I'm fighting it in anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs for those interested located here:
    https://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/blackjack-sls-c-8-ex-a-detail

mlp187, StevenC, Randy and 9 others like this.
  2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Congratulations and while these were really well received when they came out, interested has somewhat shifted from these with all the great guitars that have come out over the years. I had the 6 string version in blue and my only complain was that the neck was a bit narrow which I assume won't be a problem for you lol!

I only let that one go as an opportunity for another guitar came up which I couldn't pass by. It's one of those guitars that I would not mind getting another one if I can in the future. The blackouts are not bad if the guitar is in standard tuning and doesn't have too many strings but for an 8 string they must be way too hot.

Vyn likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

HNGD
    schecter makes damn good production 8 strings. enjoy it.

Vyn likes this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats! Loved these original series SLS guitars, especially when they axed the skull inlay.

GunpointMetal and Vyn like this.
  5. Vyn

I've got it in F at the moment. For 6 string material it actually don't sound too bad however by the time you get past the low Bb on the 7th it just turns to mud. Looking at a set of soapbar mount Black Winters for it, will see how they go. Actually feel almost a little bit like a novice again - it took me years to work out what gauges I preferred for the 7th string, pickups, string heights etc when I started playing 7s, now I have to do all that again xD

Edika likes this.
  6. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

This is just a "fact of life" with 8 strings. Those lower strings are always going to sound noticeably duller and less resonant than the conventionally spaced six. Basically, you're going to have to make a sonic compromise between them.

Vyn likes this.
  7. Vyn

The dullness/darkness of the 8th isn't the problem, it's the lack of definition which I think is pick-up related. I'm running a light-ish gauge at the moment for the F (70) as opposed to what was on it (80) and it's improved somewhat slightly.

8. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

IMHO the 8th string just has its own timbre. The 7th can be great for tight chugging metal riffs, but I’m not sure that’s naturally what you’ll get from the 8th string. I tend to use it for things almost like what you’d use a synth for, but not really tight riffing like the top 7 strings.

I use a 68 I think.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  9. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 Agile INTERCEPTOR PRO 828

The 8th string is strictly for the 00-xxx0-00-x0-x0-xx0-00’s..... and so on