NGD: First 8 String - Satin Blue Carvin DC800

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Frostbite, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Every once and a while I'll check Guitar Centers used stock of Carvins. I got my TL-60 that way for a hell of a price and craftsmanship wise it's still my most well made guitar that I own. I checked about a week ago and saw a deal for a DC800 for 700 that was just too good to pass up. Blue is my favorite color for guitars and I've been looking for an excuse to get an 8 string for a while. I've played a few 8 strings before but the vast majority of them were budget models that had pick ups that couldn't handle the lowest string properly. I bought this with the intention of just returning it if it didn't do anything for me. That decision has now becomes significantly harder since this guitar is fantastically made to the point where I don't think I could possibly let this go. The fretwork is fantastic, the body is in great condition (some wear on the body just from play near the high strings and a few dents along the edge but nothing that stands out), and the pick ups surprised me since I don't normally care for Carvin stock pick ups of any kind but these sound fairly good. Low string is fairly clear. Still going to replace them at some point but I feel that these are good enough for a while.

Specs from what I can gather
    -27 inch scale
    -1 piece maple neck-through with ebony fretboard
    -Body wings made of tree wood (not a solid idea of what it is. Maybe Ash by the look of the grain?)
    -Hipshot 8 String bridge (first guitar with a hipshot bridge and it's really nice as everyone says)
    -Sperzel black locking tuners
    -3 way toggle switch with volume and tone
    -Carvin A-80 pickups

Picture time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My lame attempt at an "artsy" shot
    [​IMG]

2. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

Nice one. 8 strings is a different world altogether. I have a similar guitar.

Frostbite likes this.
  3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Congrats and it looks marvelous. It does seem like swamp ash for the body wings!

Frostbite likes this.
  4. Frostbite

It really is. I still get lost a bit sometimes when I look down at the fret board. I will say though, the neck shape on this is really nice. It's pretty flat on the back while have just a bit more chunk compared to something like an RG8 which makes it perfect for me

5. Frostbite

Thanks for the confirmation my dude!

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oooof dayumn this looks nice.
    any planned mods?

Frostbite likes this.
  7. Frostbite

In the future at some point. I want to either put Fishmans in it or a BKP of some kind. If I go BKP I'm gonna change out the 3 way switch to a 5 way to get some coil tapped tones. May also just remove the tone pot if I got BKP and move the volume to the tone position since I find tone pots pointless for my play style

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Here here
    they are completely useless and just remove a certain amount of output from the signal.
    I either remove mine altogether or put in something like a killswitch button or EQ knob option etc.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Neon pink is the most metal color ever

Ftfy
    Nice score OP, carvin makes quite nice guitars, especially if you can score a well specced one used. The wings are definitely ash.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh ok, so you use the Tone?. Cool.
    What style are you into and how do you personally use it ?

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Neon pink is the most metal color ever

I play a little bit of everything, but lately it's mostly sludge/doom/blues or death metal. Most of my guitars/pickups are kind of bright so the tone knob actually helps attenuate the high end a bit and give me more useful lead/overdriven tones. I know why some guys like single pickup guitars or no tone knob but it doesn't mean that they're useless for other people.

12. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

I was looking HARD at that one, the price was really good, I was just skeptical since it was GC, and they don't refund shipping anymore. Hope it's everything you wanted.

13. Frostbite

Thanks man. Part of the reason I jumped on it was cause I knew it was a good deal. I just figured that if it's 20 or so bucks for shipping I don't mind spending that to see if it's worth it

14. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez SS.org Regular

Pretty pretty.

15. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

Simple, yet beautiful at the same time. HNGD!

16. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

*Sees ‘Carvin’ logo*

Congrats on your saddles not being literally all screwed up!

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah yeah I had completely forgotten about this.
    Why the hell do they angle the saddles so much on their guitars? Like what is that actual reasoning behind doing that? haha

18. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Jeff found out some of the CNC programming for the Aries needed to be redone, but told everyone to just compensate by raising the Hipshot OEM saddles until it was within action QC spec, instead. This resulted in the unique situation of surprised buyers being unable to set action higher than spec.

Then, once buyers received their guitars and complained, the official word was that the guitars were perfect; and customers were informed they would be blacklisted from all future purchases if they utilized the company’s longstanding no-questions-asked return policy. Kiesel even went so far as to notify at least two customers that 1), their guitars were already being shipped back to them without the option for a refund, 2) that they’d had no right to waste the company’s time by returning perfect instruments; and 3) that they were no longer eligible for a refund; and could “resell the guitar for profit” if they wanted their money back.

Jeff Kiesel himself posted that last bit as an official response to a complaint thread on this site shortly before he and all Kiesel/Carvin-associated members were banned. He was aware that Carvin/Kiesel instruments historically held low resale value.

I’m assuming/hoping that they eventually sorted out the bridge issue.

But anyway, happy NGD.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    lewis likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

wow....god some business owners are toooo precious. What a douche haha

20. Frostbite

There is a reason I only buy Carvin's from GC with their 45 day return policy lmao