NGD - ESP LTD M1007 Multiscale - Questionable paint and fret job..

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Frey, Jul 8, 2018.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

The top is fine to me. It looks more like angel step flamed maple, which I'm not as personally into, but there's more figuring in yours than the stock pic:
    [​IMG]
    Even with veneers the figuring will be inconsistent.
    But yeah, if you aren't comfortable going over the frets, I'd just swap it out if possible. Clearly just a rough grind on those and no crown/polish at all. Rough tooling and I'm sure you're feeling it. I tend to assume some fret work might happen on low-to-mid tier guitars, but that one seems to have gone completely of the QC radar.
    Considering you aren't happy with the fan, I'd just send it back. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Frey likes this.
  2. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Top is ok, nothing ugly or even just "bad" imho. Frets are a let down tho
    Meranthi, Luan, Nato wood or something like that, like usually happens in WMI korean guitars.

Frey and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Roger that good sir.

- Totally agree about the top. I guess one thing I've learned about myself is that I like a consistent flame haha. Color variation is also indeed a subjective "issue" but the thing that's bothering me that I can't seem to capture in pics is how brown it is. Still just a preference thing but I was counting on a more black/grey aesthetic.

- The more I look at the frets and compare them with the SH7 I just got, the more I realize these were definitely neglected. I'm glad you agree as I am always worried about falling into nit-picking territory although bad fretwork is probably always a safe complaint. I'm waiting to see how the seller wants to handle the situation and I'll proceed from there.

- Yes this is a Korean-make
    - The purple heart is nice although I think it looks a lot cooler on walnut or other dark necks personally. Another gripe of mine is that there's a 2-3inch section on one of the stripes where I can really feel the stripe. I'm not sure how wood strips are put into necks but it seems like another small error in workmanship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is of Korean make my good man.

Certainly subjective, and certainly inconsistencies are understandable but I'm just not into this one personally. I just don't think I've ever seen one look like this in my life although I've never just searched around for flamed maple tops. Never even owned one until recently.

I am surprised just how much the frets are bothering me. I've had my 1527s longer than any of my other nickel-fretted guitars and the frets have definitely worn a bit but still feel fine. These are just so unpleasant every time I play the unwound strings. Lemons happen but having purchased 3 $1200+ LTDs in the last month (and falling in love with one), the QC has not impressed me.

I'd like to agree with you on just sending her back since the fan isn't jiving with me (and it's damn likely) but depending what the seller wants to do, I'd be willing to give her a shot with some properly polished/crowned frets. I just think that I'm so irked by the feel that I'm feeling more sour about the other stuff.

I do wonder about the woods. The fact that they literally listed it as "Lightweight Mahogany" lead me to be optimistic but I wonder how in fact they have a consistent supply of magically lighter mahogany lol. I actually wonder about the fretboard too. Google shows a pretty wide variety for Massacar Ebony but this board sure looks identical to all my rosewoods.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I agree, purple heart really shines aesthetically when it's paired with darker woods--not very much with maple.

If you can feel the purple-heart strip i'd say that's a sign that the guitar should be returned. Moreover, for me, the frets being the way you describe, that guitar would be sent back as fast as I could ship it.

Flappydoodle and Frey like this.
  5. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

If I ever pull the trigger on a Kiesel, I'm definitely going for that Walnut/Single Purple Heart stripe!

Just because I'm on a real mission to improve my guitar knowledge lately, is feeling that wood stripe an especially bad sign? In any case it is pretty likely that she will be going back, just waiting to hear from the seller which will hopefully be tomorrow.

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I am no expert, but I've never felt a transition from wood-to-wood on a guitar (in any price range). Sounds like it wasn't sanded flush with the other pieces of wood. I would say that's bad.

Flappydoodle and Frey like this.
  7. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Good Mahogany can indeed be light, when chosen properly.

See, for example, Music Man's Albert Lee HH series. I've had 3, all very light and super resonant sounding.
    My Waghorn, KxK and Mermet are all made of Mahogany and are lightweight (the Mermet is headless to be fair, but I have another Swamp-Ash headless which is heavy as **** with the same hardware).

Shame about these issues on your axe :( I thought these looked amazing when they were first released to the public.