NGD - ESP LTD M1007 Multiscale - Questionable paint and fret job..

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Frey, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

A fond hello to everyone. On my current journey to really hammer down what kind specs I like in a guitar, I have added to the mix an LTD M1007 Multiscale.

Unfortunately this one has been a bit bitter sweet thus far. I really expected to like this one more but I have a few qualms. Namely:

- The number one issue is the frets. I haven't really ever bought a guitar with frets that were this unpolished/poorly crowned. You can feel and even hear the unwound strings grinding against the frets. They are basically all visibly in poor shape.
    - That coloring of the top/veneer is pretty poorly done and ugly imo

It's a little hard for me to evaluate everything else with the frets bothering me every time I pick it up but so far my thoughts are:

- The fan is actually somewhat uncomfortable with the 5th fret being parallel. From about fret 15 and up things get pretty uncomfortable. I guess 25.5-27 with the parallel at 7 is the magic combination for me.
    - The guitar is extremely light, especially considering it's mahogany. It is listed on their site as having a "Lightweight Mahogany" body and they weren't kidding. I'd chalk this up as a good thing.
    - The guitar does sound very good. I prefer the Pegasus over the Nazgul and I haven't liked the last few Mahogany guitars I've played but this one sounds very nice. It's the first time I've played the Nazgul in Mahogany and I think they pair well.

Am I the only one that thinks the finish is bad?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was having trouble getting my camera to focus on the frets but they're almost all in this bad of shape or worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Had high hopes for these. They aren’t cheap.

I’m of the opinion that 90 percent of new guitars need a setup and some minor fretwork to be optimal. But if the guitar seems like they didn’t give a crap at all that’s no good.

The top is lacking for sure. Not a great job on the bottom of the guitar but that’s also a little subjective.

How light is it? They didn’t list that guitar as being chambered if it’s super light I have my doubts that it’s actual mahogany.

Real talk. How are your side dots.

Frey likes this.
  3. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

I like the top/finish the way it is, but that color is way off from what is pictured on official ESP website. Those frets are really bad though.

Frey likes this.
  4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I think the finish is okay, but the top they used should’ve been in the “solid paint” pile. That fret work is atrocious too.

Frey likes this.
  5. geetar_geek79

geetar_geek79 SS.org Regular

The finish looks fine for me, but the frets do look rough. Seems like it should only need polishing, maybe leveling at worse. I actually like how that guitar looks.

Frey likes this.
  6. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I really did too. I also agree, especially after purchasing several guitars in a short span, that at least that % of guitars will need some work. These frets are the worst I've ever got out of the box on a new guitar though. I bought an NK awhile back for lols and the frets were in better shape.

Fully agree that the top is subjective and since it's a veneer it doesn't matter as much I guess but just comparing it to say my KM7 MKii it looks pretty bad. I've never seen a flame maple so blotchy before.

I really need to get a scale but just going by feel it is alarmingly light. Feels lighter than my RG1527s and probably any of my other 7s honestly. I have my concerns over the would type myself. I've never seen a company list something as "Lightweight wood" before either.

The side dots are actually pretty well done. Funny you mention it because I've noticed a lot of very poorly done side dots recently. The dots on the SH7 I just got weren't superb.

7. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Yes I know it's pretty subjective. I liked it more at first but it's starting to bother me more. It also looks much more brown in person. I don't know a thing about finishing guitars but it seems like maybe they just didn't use a lot of paint/stain which is also why it's so blotchy. The frets are indeed unacceptable to me, especially at this price point. I never knew how badly frets in this shape feel to play.

I'm not understanding you when you say "solid paint" pile brother.

I really did like it more at first but I think I was just trying to put the blinders on. I like to think I'm not a total slave to other people's opinions but every one of my guitar friends that saw it immediately commented on the finish and that probably did get in my head. It doesn't look like the site pic at all and as I mentioned before, it's actually more brown in person.

I've never had frets like this so I'm pretty ignorant of the subject. I hope it's as easy of a fix as you suppose, they feel really bad at the moment! Once that's resolved I just have to see if I can jive with this particular fan.

8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I was trying to say: that particular piece of wood makes a very ugly top and should have been used on a guitar that was getting a solid paint color.

Frey likes this.
  9. Defmelonn

Defmelonn SS.org Regular

Id return it and get another. Seems like you got the 1 in 1000 lemon esp. Those frets should be pretty close to immaculate condition on a 1000 ltd.

Frey likes this.
  10. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Did they level the frets but forget to crown them?

Frey likes this.
  11. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

I' ve noticed in recent years that, the big problem with new guitars is the frets themself. They are to soft. The number of Ibanez Premiums i' ve seen with completely destroyed frets after only a couple of years...

Frey and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

With the top, keep in mind it is not just a thin veneer: it has some real thickness to it. But at this price point, I wouldn’t expect much better figuring than that.

The frets do look a bit odd. Are they level? If so, maybe just tape off the frets and polish with 0000 steel wool or micro cloth stuff?

Bummer to hear that the fan seems uncomfortable. I like the looks of these and the 1008MS, but the odd parallel fret has me gun shy.

Frey likes this.
  13. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I understand now good sir. Definitely agree then haha

I think you're right. I've bought 3 in the last month, KS7, SH7, and this one, and while I didn't like the KS7 for other reasons the frets were perfect. The SH7 which I still have has immaculate frets also.

They seem level so I guess so :shrug:

This may be why everyone is getting obsessed with stainless steel frets. I'm starting to get an aversion to nickel myself although some of my favorite guitars still have them, namely my Charvels and ol' 1527s. It's my understanding that it's a negligible cost to use SS frets so I don't get why it's not the standard.

Ah I thought that a "drop top" (as listed on their site) was the same thing as a veneer. I'm not sure if I agree with you though, I've seen plenty of great looking tops at this price point or even less. My KM7 looks a hell of a lot better and it's a little cheaper.

[​IMG]

The frets do seem level to me and I'm still figuring out what to do about the need of a polish. I'm seeing what the seller has to say and I'll take it from there.

I was really hyped about these too because I think the specs and price are the best for a multiscale at the moment. I'm guessing you've played other multiscale? If you've played anything more extreme than the usual 25.5-27, parallel 7th fret, you probably wouldn't find this too bad. Also depends how much time you spend past the 15th fret.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. diagrammatiks

I was really looking at these too...
    what made you pick this over the schecter Multiscale?
    neck through is like +1 million bonus points in my book.

Frey likes this.
  15. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Pretty sure KM is a paper thin veneer; that LTD has something like an 1/8”or 1/16” bent top.

16. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

tbh i kinda like that top. shame about the frets though

xzacx and Frey like this.
  17. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I actually didn't know Schecter had a multiscale. Prior to a recent purchase of a KM7 MKii I always really hated Schecter so I haven't put them on my radar at all. There's looks really nice actually but on paper I probably still would have chosen the LTD for the fretboard radius (I've found 20" is too flat for me) and the passive pups. I still don't know what my preferred neck construction is.. But neck through still rings as a much higher quality feature in my ears. I'll have to give some strong consideration to one of those bad boys..

Now I ask because I really don't know, are veneers just that much easier to make aesthetically pleasing?

It has character at the very least :shrug:

18. diagrammatiks

veneers are cheaper at the very least. they can make multiple good looking tops from the same thick piece of wood.

19. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Dang, sorry to hear about the issues on this guitar.

-The top looks fine to me, even though there are a bunch of washed out (non-flame) sections, but this is mostly a personal preference thing--some people might like that better than a more consistent flame. Sure, the color is a bit lighter but it still looks fine to me. I've seen a lot of darkness/lightness variation on the newer LTD Deluxes. Even checking out sweetwater in-stock EC-1000's you'll see one's that are, for example, a dark green and a light green. I actually really like the finish on the headstock.

-The frets look pretty bad (from what I can tell) and are in my opinion unacceptable, especially on a "Deluxe" model. I'd get the seller to reimburse you for the cost of some fretwork by a qualified tech, especially if they aren't crowned.

Question #1 This is a Korean-make right?
    Question #2 How do you like (visually) the purple heart? Any pics?

Frey likes this.
  20. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

Is this one of the new Indonesian models?

Frey likes this.