NGD: ESP LTD EC-Black Metal

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Zombie13, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

Very nice guitar. Been tempted myself to pick up a M model but maybe I have too many single hum guitars.

Single hum guitars are where it's at. I think in total I have six or seven single hum guitars, maybe more. I lose count of guitars. I like the simplicity of single a single hum and have already start thinking of doing a single hum/no volume setup. I gravitate towards rhythm playing and Malcom Young made a pretty good career out of playing a single hum guitar.

Ivars V, I play music and Blytheryn like this.
  2. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I haven't used the tone knob since my 2nd guitar in 2005. Always liked just using the bridge pickup and altering the tone of the amp, instead of fiddling with switches or knobs, :)

I play music and lewis like this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

completely agree. Tone is a waste of time. Plus, pickups sound better with no tone knob in the circuit anyway. More push and more bite.

For metal, its worthless. Even for cleans Ive never used on. I mostly plan killswitch replacements in my guitars that have 2 knob holes

Ivars V and I play music like this.
  4. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Haha I wouldn't say that's the same - mayo will expire, whereas you may go months and not use the pickup then play a song or want to learn something that requires a neck pickup. It's just nice to have there to broaden possibilities.

Fair point about Malcolm, I think Scott Ian was the same?

I disagree tone knob is a waste of time, you can get loads of sounds by utilising it. I'd probably say more people use a tone knob than a Killswitch.

Each to their own though, everyone prefers different stuff ey

5. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Although in hindsight regarding my first point, I don't suppose people are looking for huge tonal options or will use the guitar for a variety of genres when it's marketed as a black metal guitar

6. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

Yes, Scott Ian is the same somewhat. He seems to switch between single hum and double hum guitars. I know in one rig rundown he says he prefers single hum guitars but with his current Jackson signature he prefers the tone of the double hum guitar.