NGD Agile Intrepid Pro 27"-30" Fanned 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by NickLAudio, Aug 10, 2017.

1. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

Hey guys! Got a new axe finally after selling most of my guitars away. Long over due and I couldn't be happier. This thing is large, gets low, plays fast, and only fits in a bass guitar case haha. The fan has helped me increase minor arpeggio speed but I've lost some major arpeggio speed. Minor sounds more interesting to me so I'm cool with it. Practice practice practice right? The active pickups almost sound passive in nature, which was a major factor as I don't particularly like active pickup tone. Perhaps being bladed is why I like the tone of them? As for size, this is the biggest guitar I've ever played and surprisingly, it feels very comfortable. Thanks for checking it out!

Scale Length: 27"-30"
    Body: Mahogany
    Neck: 5pc Neckthrough
    FretBoard: Ebony
    Pickups: Cephus 8 Active
    Bridge: Cephus Ind.

String guages...
    __62
    __52
    __42
    __30
    __17
    __13
    __10

Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Compared to bass gtr and 6 string...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

WOW!

That looks amazing!

Any plans on posting a clip or ten?

What tuning are you using?

I just love that look, so sleek. How is the build quality?

3. NickLAudio

Thanks man! Before the string change, from factory I dropped the low B to A and ran standard drop tuning (A-E-A-D-G-B-E). After putting the heavies on, string tension was way high (expected it) so I tuned down to drop G (G-D-G-C-F-A-D), adjusted truss rod/saddle height to get the action perfect and the tension became perfect. No flop at all and if I wanted, could go lower still without flop. Crazy.

Build quality actually surprised me knowing it came from Korea, I think that's where Agile comes from anyways? Guitar is a steal for the price I think. Everything is beautiful on it. Only thing I had to do was wipe some access dried glue from the side of the nut but no big deal.

Im actually working on a batch of original songs and plan to use my new DSLR for some playthrough videos. I do audio/video editing for a living so I'm stoked to get this thing on camera. Stay tuned!

4. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Those pups are passive, the active ones have the rectangular housing.

The guitar is beautiful and the Pendulum 82728 I used to have was one of the best "bang-for-the-buck" guitars I have ever had or seen. Agile really know how to make great guitars, they only need a solid QC.

Anyway, first time I realize the Intrepid is SO HUGE... definitely is a "bass guitar" body.

Enjoy!

5. NickLAudio

Thanks!

About the pickups...they look passive, they sound mostly passive, but the description online says active and there is absolutely 100% a battery in the back of this guitar. I thought they were passive too when I ordered and upon arrival, there it was, a battery compartment. I was kind of mad, like what the hell man I hate actives. I went online and sure enough, the listing said active, just didn't see it.

The good thing is they sound awesome. They have that nice "springy" tone like passives do when muting, and a tiny bit of digital "bite" like actives do. I'm convinced it's some hybrid Frankenstein pickup haha

I'm at work now but I'll open her up when I get home and take some pics.

Maybe somebody can shed some more light on these pickups?

Zhysick likes this.
  6. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

And is there a battery in that compartment?

Is the first "angled cepheus blade pup" that is active... maybe is just a preamp in the guitar instead of "real active" pups?

Maybe is just the first run with the new active "passive looking" cepheus...

Sorry for my mistake! But all the other "blade cepheus" you find in the rondo web are passive so I assumed. My bad.

I'm glad you are enjoying the pups. The "normal" active Cepheus were pretty nice

7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

HNGD!

I've thought about picking up one of these (or a 6 string variant with the same scales) to tune down to Drop D or Drop B. Nice finish btw.

And on topic of the body having bass proportions, doesn't Rondo use the same bodies for the Defiant basses?

8. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

AFAIK that's what EMGs would look like without their covers on so I'm not surprised they're actives. Interesting guitar, kind of like a Fender Bass VI but for metal.

9. NickLAudio

Took a pic of the battery and wiring. Power and ground go to pups/pup selector/and pots respectively. I think I may have the first production run of Cepheus 8 *uncovered* actives. Sounds good to me haha because they sound great.

As far as the body being the same as the Defiant's, it is. Not sure about being identical in size but my cousin actually just got a Defiant fanned 6 string bass and it's the same body for sure. I played it and within 24 hours I bought the Intrepid because I liked the fan so much. I'll bring mine over to compare, i'm interested to see how close in size they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bostjan likes this.
  10. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Not to take this too off topic, but when did your cousin order the Defiant 63437? They haven't been posted on the site for a while iirc and I've been moderately keeping up.

11. NickLAudio

It was on the site maybe a day or two. They took it off literally same day he ordered so must have only been one or two in stock. Thing is sweet. Has the passive blade pups, plays and sounds great.

[​IMG]

Masoo2 likes this.
  12. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Christ that is a massive scale length!

HNGD! Looks great!

13. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

Intrepids are sick

14. Corusal

Corusal SS.org Regular

Looks sick! That's a perfect mix of red and purple right there! :D

15. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I've been wanting to get a 62730 and tune it: FCGDAE (all 5ths down from F1)