Next two builds 2017, 10 string fanned ERG'S

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by IGC, Aug 23, 2017.

1. IGC

IGC OCDG

In late 2014 I decided to get into guitar making. I am also into Conkilin style fanned fret ERG's etc...Not that these will be comparable to Conklin but anyhew...
    Without further ado I bring SS.ORG my next two and probably last two guitar build attempts for 2017. And probably further, this guitar making after work is kickin my A$$. Even weekend warrior style.

So I mentioned in my last first 9 string ERG build thread "more cool grains" for my next builds these are going to be nice maple tops, IMO.

[​IMG]

Basic layout of goods.
    laminated curly wallnut/maple/poplar necks
    ash wings (non swamp)
    Probably some nice maple tops
    dual action/ dual truss rods
    gaboon ebony fretboards

[​IMG]

Making router template below
    [​IMG]

ended up a little sort on the wings so I added some extra, below
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

planing, above

you can sort of see the layout below
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will post better close ups of the necks after I sand them, there is lots of squeeze out so not so cool up close but lotta nice curly wallnut and maple goin on!

Head stocks going to be strait with 15 degree scarfs. Thinking about Extrteme fanning for the frets.

2. IGC

IGC OCDG

I sanded a lot of the glue squeeze out away revealing some nice wood grains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

Had to log in to let you know how good these look man. My next personal build was going to be bolt on but you've changed my mind. Recent pics don't work though

IGC likes this.
  4. IGC

IGC OCDG

Thanks, they're comin along.

Thanks for letting me know about the pics, ...an issue I was having with another post. What to do now is the question...

Is your avatar a self built guitar?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  5. IGC

IGC OCDG

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Very cool! What are the scale lengths? And are you building for yourself, or to sell, or what?

IGC likes this.
  7. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

Necks are looking great, they look kinda thin for neck through blanks but guessing thats because they're so wide.

avatar is mine yeah, a build for a friend.

IGC likes this.
  8. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

Holloway has his wallet out :p

Hollowway and IGC like this.
  9. IGC

IGC OCDG

Thanks! Im thinking about 31 by 26 inch and maybe going with a strait to just slightly back fanned nut line. I found that forward fanning is very comfortable and natural feeling on higher frets. But no more than one inch of back fan on lower frets, at least for my hand . Hence the strait nut line idea.
    Currently I am building for myselfe as a hobby. But we'll see how they turn out. I have no reservations about offing these for a reasonable deal. :yesway:

Thanks!
    That top on your avatar build is sooooo craycray! Looks like buckeye?

The thicknesses are currently .75 inch and after the fretboards are glued on closer to one inch. My schecter hellraiser neck is .938 thick and thats like a log in my hand. So with two dual action 18 inch trussies that are rock solid, I should be golden :D.
    Still trying to figure out exactly how im going to put everything together, body and all. Usually the neck thru is thicker down thru the body but mine is the same. Decisions decisions:scratch:

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

These should be crazy! Awesome. 31-26 sounds like a really nice scale. Are you sure about that nut though? Is this from experience - have you played one with such a fanned bridge?
    I have a 24.75-29.25 9 string with the straight fret at the 8th. The bridge and nut both aren't far off 45 degrees. I don't have a problem with the nut personally. I do agree the upper frets aren't too much of a concern for me. However the bridge is one area that I feel can start to become a problem with big fans.
    I just want to mention it incase you are going purely by a fretboard template and not thinking about how the bridge might feel with almost 5 inches skew entirely at the bridge - for me it would be way too much.

Anyway, can't wait to see these come along!

IGC likes this.
  11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

:lol: Anything over 8 strings and my wallet comes out like quick draw McGraw.

But the 31-26 sounds cool. I want to get a 10 that’s 33” or even 34” on the low side, because it’s just so hard to achieve a decent G#0 at 30”.

IGC likes this.
  12. IGC

IGC OCDG

Hope they turn out crazy awesome, I'm gonna try to be careful and take my time.

I have not tried or seen a guitar with such an extreme forward fanning. This would be all experimental, endeavour to persevere! :D
    But nothing is written in stone yet, all ideation at this point.

Thanks for the experienced input with the extreme fanned frettadge!

[​IMG]
    FYI red dotted lines are for strait nut line, black will be 1" backfan...

[​IMG]
    higher register above
    lower register below, Extreme forward fanning seems ok on the full scale layout. Seems like the only apparent draw back might be
    rubbing with palm of the lower strings whilst trying to play the higher?
    [​IMG]

Heres the builds sharing link if the photos aren't working:
    https://goo.gl/photos/v6gpMMqBZfQS2tQw5

33" or 34 " to 26 " Multi ?

geoffstgermaine likes this.
  13. IGC

IGC OCDG

Thread update:
    There has been a change in plans for fretboard material. Instead of using gaboon ebony, I will be using some of this nice curly birds eye maple. I think it will better compliment the neck, body and top woods.

[​IMG]

geoffstgermaine likes this.