Newer Randall RG80 / RG1503

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ArtDecade, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

I haven't played one of these in years and years. Does anyone know if the new Randalls have that same vibe as the older ones? I'm looking more of an 80s rock (Dokken/Europe/etc) kinda sound rather than the higher-gain Pantera sound.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It might be closer to the Pantera sound. Not exactly; it won't be scooped and buzzy as ...., but everything I've heard of them makes them seem close to the Randall Warhead, which isn't surprising since the lead designer of that amp also worked on the modern RG series.

It could possibly get there, though. It seems to have that RG mojo, just with more gain on tap and some hint of the Warhead tone.

3. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred The Truth Is Out There

It can get some really good tones and a very wide variety of tones. It can absolutely nail those 80's tones! And almost any tone your going for. The EQ is very sensitive imo so playing with them can make some dramatic changes in the sound.

4. necropsy

necropsy SS.org Regular

I have a RG1503 - and i love it to death

ill make you some demo stuff if you want

its the best solid state iv ever owned - infact i like it better then alot of my tube amps cus its so CONSISTANT -and tube amps are not

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  5. necropsy

necropsy SS.org Regular

Also the Scoop button - is amazing for death metal

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  6. riffdude

riffdude SS.org Regular

I played the RG1503 and I have to say this thing is amazing. I really enjoyed playing it and now I'm thinking about getting one of these. :)

I've done a video with this amp for you. Check it out. Hope you enjoy it like I do

7. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

A friend of mine have the RG 80. Pretty good piece for Hard rock/heavy but need a boost/drive pedal for modern stuff.

8. riffdude

riffdude SS.org Regular

The RG1503 works great for that without boost. But with it will be insane

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

They have a ton of gain on tap. But they seem to be a bit undefined and muddy. Def need a boost of sorts to tighten things up. They seem to have a similar vibe to the classic RG100ES, with a bit more of an aggressive vibe similar to the Randall Warhead.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

They have a ton of gain on tap. But they seem to be a bit undefined and muddy. Def need a boost of sorts to tighten things up. They seem to have a similar vibe to the classic RG100ES, with a bit more of an aggressive vibe similar to the Randall Warhead.

11. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

The RG100ES has a different sound than the new RG for sure. I had a 1987 RG100ES and currently own a RG1503; the newer RG1503 is killer for death metal, 80s metal or anything you throw at it. Yes it has that wonderful scoop switch (turns channel 3 into full meltdown mode) but doesn't do the same thing as an EQ in the effects loop, of course. Is channel 3 worth it? Yes; I cannot live without it.
    So as you can see I vastly prefer the new RG, I could never get the '87 to sound as aggressive as the RG1503. However don't be fooled, it also has lots of smooth mid-range just like the older RG. Channel 2 is where I go for those metal tones OP mentioned but you can boost it to sound like old Malevolent Creation (RGs were used on "Retribution") or boost it with a MT2 for Crowbar sound.

The older RG is cool but you will need to know a good amp tech to fix it or clean it up because filter caps get old and the amp gets noisy as it ages. You can get the same sound in the new one easily; and expand on it even more. The new RG is much more flexible and precise to dial in than the old one.

Keep in mind of course these amps need boosts at all if you want to get any heavier sounds out of them, because they actually (IMO) don't have that much gain on tap.

Does it sound more like the Warhead than the older RG? The Warhead can sound like anything because of all those EQs. Warhead's gain channel was supposedly approved by Dimebag to be more in-your-face and meaner (marketing?) and it still needs a boost (v2 had this feature added.) The Warhead is definitely supposed to be in the same lineage as the other RG amps, as a matter of fact the Warhead has "RG150" printed on one of its boards inside. Apparently these were made for a while:

You may also be interested in the RG Classic, RG Century, T2 and other 2 channel Randall amps... hope you find what you're looking for. I sold my Valvestate 8200 for the RG1503 and I do not regret it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  12. riffdude

riffdude SS.org Regular

You are absolutely right man! This amp is so versatile. I never played an amp like this. It is so easy to dial in a tone that you like. I love the simplicity of this thing. 3 channels, 1 eq, master, scoop, bright switch and that's it. I don't need the reverb on it or the line in and headphone out. But these are nice features. When I look at the pricing it's a no brainer. I would love this head with only 2 channels and without the fancy stuff. Channel 1 and 3, that's it. No headphone stuff but with an parametric eq.

13. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Oh, hey. I started this thread!