New Tosin Abasi signature in the works - Abasi Guitars w/Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Damn, this is SUPER cool. I really dig the mutated abasi/tele headstock design. Stuff like this makes me hopeful about the customization options they're offering.

2. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

As I understand it, they'll build just about whatever you want as long as it fits the guitar shape and you can pay for it.

3. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Maybe it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but did they ever discuss an entry level or import version of this same style?

4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Paging AliExpress to thread.

thesnowdog likes this.
  5. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

hehe yeah those on aliexpress have some cool simple headstocks too, looks similar to the ole slipner or however you spell it from nevborn,

6. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Skip to 15 min to get to the part most related to this discussion.

8. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Good video.

What is the neck shape like on these? I remember something about them being asymmetrical... is that to say that it is going to be thicker on the treble side and thinner on the bass (or vice-versa)? Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread.

9. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

They aren’t asymmetrical like the necks Tosin was experimenting with. (The final Japan prototypes didn’t have that either)

The necks are slim and fast. The 6 string is a little more flat-backed, then the 7 and 8 are each progressively more sloped on the shoulders.

musicaldeath and AxeHappy like this.
  10. WearYourWounds666

WearYourWounds666 SS.org Regular

I’ve been following this thread for a while, and planned on buying a multi 8 and 7 as I REALLY love the design, but wanted to see a few reviews before pulling the trigger. The Japanese builds completely turned me off, and the more I read, the less likely I am to buy. Everything seems so shady, and nothing adds up.

In January you claimed to have all “first versions” of these guitars complete, but in your video(31:23ish) you say “everything we did was done for the very first time”. So which is it? Did you build a few protos first?(if so, where are they?) or did you offer us the world with ridiculously quick delivery times, without actually verifying any of these options?

Also, you claimed the Japanese rushed this order... are you NOT the one that gives delivery times? In the video you claim there were a lot of Floyd orders, why give that option, commit to a delivery time and more importantly take money before ever testing said options?

I also see a new Telecaster build(looks great!) What about customs? HAS ANYONE HERE SEEN THEIR CUSTOM? Any progress pics? If you’re so backed up with orders(and we’ve yet to see a custom)why is this Telecaster being done?

Lucy got some splainin to do

Seems like a load of baiting bullshit at this point.

11. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

So these guitars delivered to Japan are considered "prototypes"?

The question isn't intended as a gotcha I'm just curious on your perspective.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

as far as I can take from all this, the guitars in Japan were

-Japanese people come to shop
    -"we want teh guitars"
    -"but they are not 100% ready yet"
    -"Looks good to me, we want them now"
    -"but...."
    -"now"
    -"ok then...... are you sure because..."
    -"people wont mind, we need them now, we leave tomorrow"
    -"there you go then"

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I think he means Ibanezes

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Those weren't made in Japan. They had LACS markings.

StevenC likes this.
  15. frank falbo

No, StevenC is right. I was referring to the prototypes that were made at Fujigen, not the LACS guitars. Sorry for sparking confusion by using the term “Japan prototypes”. I meant toward the end of the prototyping with Ibanez they had already gone with a symmetrical profile.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    AxeHappy, StevenC and thesnowdog like this.
  16. frank falbo

As we went into NAMM, we had the 6/7/8 multiscale designs drawn, and all the basic CNC toolpaths for all the main cuts. This means that for those models you could put wood in the machine on spoiler board, and perform a cut “one at a time” after aligning the XYZ coordinates. When the orders flooded in, the process had to pivot to making the jigs for higher production quantities. You use the term “verifying” and that’s not something that comes into play here. I’ve been making guitars for many years. When it comes to programming the CNC there’s nothing to “verify” per se. I know what to draw, we draw it, then we program it. When I say things were being done for the first time, on the multiscales I mean that we were making the jigs as well as cutting the parts. On the Floyd models, we had the 6 string Floyd at NAMM, but the 7 & 8 were added to the list of R&D items, and adds time.

Again, there’s not really anything to “test”. I’ve made many guitars with Floyd Rose and other trems over the years. There’s nothing to test, only draw and cut, and draw and cut jigs and fixtures for production quantities instead of small batches or one-offs. Sometimes when designing things for other manufacturers you get into what we call “bit offsets” where they have a cutter that is smaller than the diameter because it’s been resharpened. But when drawing for our own machine we already know our bit diameters.

Good question. R&D and production don’t necessarily compete for the same resources. Falbo Designs is both an R&D and manufacturing operation, and I’ve been head of various product development teams by vocation. R&D doesn’t stop if production is overloaded.

As for how it relates to the customs, we are in direct communication with the people who have placed custom orders and many of them have received progress pics directly. I just sent some last night in fact. Some of the photos we’ve shared on socials are of customs, although it would be hard to tell if it’s just a Wenge neck or something. Sometimes they show up on Falbo social media too. Generally if I post a photo of some amazing piece of wood, it was from a custom. The Wenge topped, Ash back 8 string on IG was a custom, completed and delivered.

tl:dr If we had a small amount of orders at the outset of NAMM then my first 3 months of production would have looked a lot different; performing body and neck cuts as one-offs on spoiler board, while making dedicated fixtures and jigs in parallel as we scaled up.

17. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Guy with three posts parachuting in to flame Frank, nice

rochesterbox, goobaba, narad and 8 others like this.
  18. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Cool, thanks for the info!

After watching the video and going back to look at the now infamous neck joint, I see your point, especially when you show how the neck gets set so deep into the body. Thanks for sharing all that, it was a good watch, and for me at least, lays that whole issue to rest (but that's just like, my opinion... lol).

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I know this is not sound reasoning for motivating purchases, but the more WearYourWounds666 posts, the more I want to order one.

goobaba, jemfloral, Lemons and 3 others like this.
  20. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Really enjoyed watching the Levi Clay interview. Can't wait for the next picture of a build to show up and the resulting 3 pages picking apart paint lines!

AxeHappy likes this.