New Tosin Abasi signature in the works - Abasi Guitars w/Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

you technically still are a millennial if Im not wrong. Problem is not the bashing. Problem is that people think "millennials" means the current 15-20 yer olds or something like that, msot of the time they use it to reffer to the younger generation than they are, the name gets trown around that much that not many people know that they are referring to their own generation.

I think it stupid to put people in labels of generations specially when they consist of roughly 10 years periods. I have 4/8/10 years difference with all my brothers, Im not even close to be like them. At the end of it the whole thing is the classic "back in my day" stupidity.

Either way, Abasi guitars eh?... prety cool stuff so far

gienek likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

See Frank, these are your customers. Still want to make guitars now?

3. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

If they pay for the guitars? Then yeah, I’m pretty equal opportunity in that regard.

Come get me when someone starts talking about the dalbergias, or fret size, or titebond or something I can actually help with.

AxeHappy, TheDandy, Vyn and 10 others like this.
  4. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Is this a West African tree or a venereal disease?

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

any other pics of the headless version yet?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dalbergias

jemfloral and technomancer like this.
  6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea man, people are just killing time until you post a headless design.

In the meantime though, I don't know if anyone posted this but thought it was a pretty cool the purple/natural play off each other:

[​IMG]

I think the black "sci-fi"-y pickups look a bit off with the naturalness of the rest of the guitar here. Any chance you'd do some matching wood covers? Could you route for the non-soapbar route slant 8s?

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

The choice of woods looks very strange with the gold hardware. At the same time, I'm not sure if chrome or black would make a difference.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

It wouldn't make much of a difference if the hardware color was changed. The contrast between all the blonde maple/ash against purpleheart just doesn't work visually imo. a solid or trans black finish with black hardware would keep the focus on the purpleheart board and look pretty cool.

Albake21 likes this.
  9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I have the complete opposite opinion, so chalk this one up to pure subjectivity.

My own take is that it's not the gold hardware itself that doesn't jive with the above scheme, but that with the pickups being black plastic, you've got basically 4 not-necessarily-complementary things going on. Definitely seen plenty of purple heart board, maple _burl_ tops with gold hardware that have been great, but they've also had bobbins that were either purpleheart or maple burl.

AxeHappy and thesnowdog like this.
  10. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I'd really like to see one of these with passive pickups, I feel like Tosin's previous sig pickups would work well (visually).

Randy likes this.
  11. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Ok. So I see Titebond mentioned repeatedly in reference to guitars. Is it that genuinely superior to other glues are just more guitar lore?

And let’s really light this motha’...

Frank, what’s your opinion on tone wood for solidbody guitars?

XD

theicon2125 likes this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Serious question for Frank: What is the headless hardware? That's the only thing I've cared about since the announcement of headless guitars, and the picture of the ball ends at the nut has only increased my interest.

13. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

Frank, any neck reinforcements? How profile is compared to TAM ibby neck?

14. frank falbo

Titebond 1 is just the "right" glue for many guitar applications. Not all of course, but for most of the joints, most of the temperature inversions the guitar may endure throughout life....most of this, most of that....That said, most of the reasons that Titebond 2 and 3 exist; their strengths and weaknesses are also not relevant to guitar making.

Remove "tone" from the sentence, as it's superfluous, and my opinion on wood for solidbody guitars is that it has a significant impact on the way the guitar string vibrates, as well as the bio-feedback loop between the player, the guitar, and the amplification that is pushing sound pressure into the air (if there is one) which, in turn, does impact the plugged in sound as well as the unplugged sound. Also forgive me, you've asked for my opinion, but I have accidentally included some facts. ;)

15. frank falbo

The standard Tosin necks are very slim and fast, for 6/7/8, with an alternative neck profile for the 6 available that's more round and classic in nature, with some of the tricks that I put into the Falbo electric necks.

We are not using the kind of reinforcements that you have to remove wood to insert, such as titanium or graphite rods. But its an interesting word to use only because I'd say that we self-reinforce the neck by the way I arrange the grain. We're primarily using 2-piece necks where, I invert the grain pattern on the treble side vs. the bass side. The result is a neck that looks sort of "bookmatched" but the real benefit is that anything that the wood on the treble side would want to do (migration over time and circumstance) is equally opposed (and therefore controlled) by the wood on the bass side. It's like a self-balancing, self-correcting neck. It doesn't impact the need for a truss rod, it takes adjustments just like any other neck, it just resists doing anything "weird" or asymmetrical.

Another side benefit (and I'm fine if people want to consider this nebulous or are skeptic, I don't say this to be "salesy"...) is that the necks themselves have a more harmonious response to vibration, because the density, inherent tension, and grain direction are equal/opposite.

16. frank falbo

Unfortunately I still have to keep that confidential at this time. I apologize.

AxeHappy and jemfloral like this.
  17. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Custom Title

Before anyone responds to these claims, try to remember that Mr. Falbo put them forward because he was asked, and not because he’s eager to engage in rigorous debate with the quality of mind one would find at sevenstring.org (the 21st century-successor to bowling alleys).

I disagree with much of the above, but my disagreement affects nothing and nobody. I’m hoping (in one hand) that people will communicate from a place of respect for the fact that a guy as busy as Frank is is here indulging us at all.

theicon2125 and Kyle Jordan like this.
  18. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Thanks, dad.

AxeHappy, Randy and A-Branger like this.
  19. frank falbo

Yeah I’m joking a little about saying certain things are factual, but there are indeed fact based reasons for some of the stuff I said. I’ve personally had the luxury of being a part of much of the R&D first hand.

But take the split/inverted grain neck for example. I can hit the raw board like a marimba and listen/record how it behaves vibrationally. Then I can split that same board, and join it in my symmetrical and inverted grain pattern, and then it’s “more” of what luthiers want to hear when they hit the neck blank like a marimba.

At the same time I concede to the point that there will be players to whom this information is meaningless.

AxeHappy, Dineley, jemfloral and 2 others like this.
  20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Correct building techniques >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Neck Reinforcements

I've had two guitars with Titanium neck reinforcements and they still bent and moved during seasonal changes, one warping, while I've two customs built guitars by a very experienced builder that are just wood and a truss rod and absolutely rock solid. In nearly 2 years I haven't touched the truss rod or saddles once and the setup/action is still the exact same. Correct timbers, drying and construction methods are what counts, one of these are wrong and the neck will still be prone to shifts regardless of whatever fancy reinforcements a company is boasting.

Cheers for that! I wouldn't worry about rounding numbers off since Ibanez rounded their 27.25" multscale to 27.2" on spec sheets. For the 7 27.2" works and the 6 could be 26.9". Theres no reason to list any more numbers since intonating is going to change them anyway. Having the individual scale lengths listed will help people trying to figure out custom string gauges.

You mentioned earlier that this forum seems a bit more critical and nitpicky. A few reasons for that is a lot of us are very experienced when it comes to hi-end guitars and the fine details, more so than any guitar forum I've been on. Also we've had a lot of cowboy builders who've ran off with peoples money. I can raise my hand to both of those, having had a builder run off with my money and on the complete opposite end I'm a happy owner of my own stradivarius guitar. We mean well but we are just looking out for each other.

AxeHappy, Winspear, lilstryer and 5 others like this.