New Tosin Abasi signature in the works - Abasi Guitars w/Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Edited my previous post a bit. I have played one of his acoustics - my Grandfather has one and it is a fantastic instrument. I just mean on my part, I move slow on these purchases. The last few times I jumped in first and/or pre-ordered (looking at EA...) it was a waste of money. Not saying this would be, but I tend not to get in on the ground floor too often.

Hollowway and ElysianGuitars like this.
  2. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

To be fair, this is different to normal as it's a guitar company and not just a sig guitar. If all they offer is one variant, then it'd be pretty foolish to start a company. Hopefully there is a decent amount of variety. Even just offering six and seven string variants would be neat.

3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

You can spend +5k€ in the Caparison apple horn 8 :)

4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I inadvertently did this because I was just broke as a kid so couldn't hop on every trend, but it worries me how meme'd to death almost every aspect of guitar has become with fad stuff. People just want to get their hands on new stuff cause it's fun, but often don't wait and see or shop around for better stuff.

I know they sound good, but I am waiting on the Fishman meme to play out. We've seen this before, when some new brand of something (strings, pickups, bridges, whatever) sweeps all the online forums and no one has anything bad to say, then a few years later it's all irrelevant in the wake of the new meme. This can be seen first hand on here, people selling their EMG 81/85 sets a few years back for 57/66, or hopping to SD Blackouts, now they're going to Fishman. For passives it was always "Selling my x to get some Bareknuckles" then a few months later jumping ship from BKP to something (currently Fishman).

At least these forums make gear affordable cause you almost never have to buy anything new, just look in the FS section lmao

Edika and musicaldeath like this.
  5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

At least this version actually has connection between the upper body and the neck, the Ibanez version didn't even have bolts there.

lewis and Mathemagician like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

Gearwhores gonna gearwhore yo

Noisy Humbucker likes this.
  7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Just because the audience is fickle doesn't mean the product is. But I can definitely feel how annoying that is, especially because I got caught up with it early on in my gear lifetime.

I remember the Blackhawk rage, and then the Juggernauts came out and everyone jumped ship the second they came out. I actually made a comment on here at some point where Misha really outlined how much he enjoyed those. And it isn't even what he meant, but people have this nature of assuming that the previous entry or preferred product is somehow inferior to the newer one.

In some cases products can be that, but when you're in the subjective realm of pickups and tone preference it doesn't apply IMO. I still have like 3 pairs of Blackhawks waiting for a guitar to install them in, but I enjoy those every bit as I remembered when I had first gotten a pair. But I also have Dimarzio Gravity Storms and a custom wound set that kill, Suhr SSH+/SSV in a couple of guitars, BKP Nailbombs, and Blackwater Neodymium Moderns. All useful and unique in their own way for different situations.

That being said the Fishman pickups are actually pretty amazing, and deliver on what they set out to do. Does that mean everyone should just switch to them? No not really, you might enjoy them more but I doubt anyone here has tried every single Dimarzio/SD/Bareknuckle/Fishman/etc and can 100% say that it is their be all end all pickup. Just try them and if you like them good, and if not then that's fine as well.

That also is definitely a good point, having so many people bandwagon makes the used market flourish so every can save a few bucks down the line :lol:

8. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

All the chocolate and Cheetos dust fingerprints on “like new, barely played, awesome perfect only selling toward custom build” gear gets old after a while, though.

9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I mean, you could just not get the filthy ones lol.

That being said, I got a 7620 used for $400 and just cleaned the grime off, and it plays like factory new.

10. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

The cynicism and sarcasm that your posts are always drenched is so refreshing, never stop!!!

Edika, Mathemagician and Hollowway like this.
  11. marcwormjim

Now you’re speaking my language.

musicaldeath, Dineley and Hollowway like this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

13. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

AxeHappy and Masoo2 like this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Flamed at that

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

Chokey Chicken likes this.
  16. marcwormjim

I want to see NGD updates from every owner whose purpleheart boards turned brown. Even if you’re bumping the thread of the guy who sold it to the guy who sold it to you.

Hollowway, r33per, Edika and 7 others like this.
  17. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

That’s part of the reason it won’t have a purple sunburst finish. But there are plenty of tricks to maintaining the purple in purpleheart, many which defy common thoughts about oxidation and ultraviolet light.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So, uh, what way will it be finished and is it for Tosin or for sale?

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

^^ You should send it to Steven -- he's like the Tosin Abasi of Northern Ireland.

Edika, Lorcan Ward and StevenC like this.
  20. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Send it to me. I'm the Tosin Abasi of my home office!