New to replacing pickups. Any tips for a novice?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by JustinRhoads1980, Jul 7, 2018.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

So after much consideration for my Jackson USA I have decided to buy a SD Black Winter set to find a better sounding pickup for the guitar and If it doesn't work I have a whole list of alternatives to try.

[​IMG]
    I know that:
    • you need to tin the iron
    • cover the surface of your guitar with towels in case solder drips
    • Refer to diagrams when rewiring the pickups
    • Another thing is for the excess wire since there is no Push/Pull pots to use shrink wrap instead of electric tape since it gets all yucky.
    I am not doing anything significant other than replacing the pickups which from what I have gathered is just desolder the older pickup connections, and wire 2 connections from my pickup (hot and ground) and you are done.

So hopefully I have the idea of what I need to do, but is there any advice that you guys would like to give me? Also asides from YT, is there any other source online that teaches you how to start learning how to do other wiring such as P/P pots and other stuff like that? Diagrams I already have sources for, but I wouldn't mind reading up and learning how to do more complicated things.

Thanks guys, any advice/tips is appreciated!

IGC likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

1. tin iron
    2. pre-tin the wires (it'll make the wire glob onto the switch faster since there's solder on both items). A little goes a long way.
    3. follow diagrams, then solder accordingly. Have a moist sponge on hand to help clean the iron tip between solders. It'll help the iron conduct heat properly since the solder doesn't get caked on over time.
    4. shrink wrap is fine if you don't plan on using the other wires, but there's nothing wrong with electrical tape ime. hell even scotch tape will work if you don't mind it looking ghetto.

-If you plan on doing this more, invest in a soldering iron where you can control the temperature (cheap ones can be had for 20$ and will last you for quite a while if you don't solder much)
    -Don't bother with flux.
    -when wiring from pot to pot or such, use solid core wire (easier to hold in place ime).
    - if you're replacing pots/whatever, give the back of the pot a quick sand with some sandpaper, it'll make it easier to get the solder to adhere

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  3. JesperX

JesperX SS.org Regular

Make sure you have the right diagram for the switch layout and coil combinations you want if you’ve got a 5 way or a push/pull coil split. Duncan in particular has some strange switch layouts on their 5 way diagrams imo.

If you want the same wiring just with the new pickups, just cross reference the wire colors between brands and wire it up the same. Take a nice before pic.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  4. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Yeah I already know about taking pictures of stuff before I screw around with anything. Plus in my list of pickups to try I have some actives and after I go through a few passive sets and if I don't like em and I try actives and wanna go back to passive, I wanna know how it was laid out instead of trying to figure out from a diagram when a picture is more useful.

Hm interesting. I have a cheap $20 kit, I am interested in this, but I don't think I will be doing it often tbh

Anyways a lot of the stuff I did know except for pre tinning the wires, the sanding, the solid core wire, and the flux.

Would any solid core wire do if I needed it? And I just bought some extra solder and the solder says it has 1.8% flux whatever that means.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

as long as the solid core wire is insulated, yeah, you'd be fine.
    Like I said, don't worry about flux. You don't need it as long as you pre-tin your wires/pots/whatever.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

don't over heat the pot. first time I put a set in I over heat the back of the pot and fried it

but then I just bought a new one and learnt how to put it in myself. the good news is no components in your guitar are really expensive or hard to replace