New speaker for Peavey Bandit 112

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by groph, Oct 16, 2011.

1. groph

groph SS.org Regular

A speaker upgrade is always nice, and since I'll probably be keeping my Bandit around for a while longer it would be awesome to get rid of that god-awful stock speaker it comes with.

I've tried a Celestion Seventy 80 in it and the tone was really livened up. I remember the bass and highs being a bit squishier and kind of more tube-like. The stock speaker sounds pretty flat in comparison. I just want the amp to be a bit warmer and sparklier, I guess, but probably not djenty sparkle.

I don't want to spend any more than $80-$100 on a speaker since this isn't an expensive amp and I'm not looking for any tonal holy grail. I'm not particularly familiar with Eminence speakers, but they appear to be very nicely priced. The Swamp Thang seems to be kind of nice. I'm not partial to any particular brand, so here are my criteria:

- Going in an 80 watt, open back solid state combo at 8 ohms
    - Under $100
    - 12"
    - Don't care about the brand
    - Warmer tone. Smooth, chimey highs and warmer bass. I like growly mids.

I guess the tone should be generally "American" since it's metal that is being played. I use a Jackson DKMGT with an EMG 85 in the bridge.

EDIT: Judging by clips that I'm hearing, I like a bit of speaker breakup.

2. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

I just put a swamp thang in my 6505+ combo, and it sounds great, lots of low mids and nice warm highs, tons of bass, but by no means flubby, I liken it to a celestion vintage 30 without that horrid mid spike, and warmer with more bass, but keeping the v30 definition and tightness. (sorry,that was probably a terrible analogy)
    anyways, tone wise the swamp thang seems to be what you're looking for. I'd also give the governor, Texas heat, Man o war and legend v128 a look as lots of people like those for metal too. one problem you might have is that nearly all emi speakers are rated pretty high wattage wise (the swamp thang and Texas heat amongst others are 150w a piece!) so you are unlikely to get that cone breakup you are looking for. celestion classic lead 80's are also worth a look as they are about the right wattage (never, ever go below the amps wattage rating with a speaker, unless you never want to play it loud, although unlike tube amps, having a speaker with the same wattage should be just fine)
    and are a fairly popular choice for high gain. personally, I'd have a look at the eminence site and check out all the models they do, and if you cant decide we can help you pick based on what kind of tone you're going for.

3. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

i've yet to find a rock/metal application where the celestion vintage 30 doesnt excel. it delivers lots of clarity due to its voicing. i'd go for that - otherwise an eminence or WGS clone of the same speaker should be damn close for a bit less :)