New Spawn film

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by KnightBrolaire, Jan 8, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Neon pink is the most metal color ever

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-spawn-movie-spawn-wont-speak-main-character/
    So basically Spawn is going to be the boogeyman of the film, and he's not even the main character and won't speak at all. Mcfarlane basically said "Think Jaws, but with Spawn as the shark". I'm a huge fan of the comics and the HBO animated series (hell even the live action movie isn't too bad), but this doesn't seem like the best play imo. Between that and the edgelord talk that Mcfarlane was making about the film being a very hard R-rating, this seems ripe for disaster.

A-Branger and Demiurge like this.
  2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It's an interesting idea to explore. For instance, Batman is a nocturnal vigilante who's supposed to have an aura of terror and mystery about him in Gotham. While his reputation is brought up in the comics and movies, it's not something readers or moviegoers fully appreciate because we also get to see Batman's secret identity, his origin, and even his own self-doubts. The "who or what the fuck is doing this?" factor is kind of gone. For a less-prominent character, there is that opportunity to take that angle.

However, superhero movies carry with them expectations in terms of easy narratives, sequel potential, and money money money. So, definitely, electing to go this path where the titular character is kept back like this is a huge risk. Whether it's a brave or stupid risk is up for debate.

3. KnightBrolaire

They've literally done this type of thing with spawn in the comics, so it definitely works, but I don't know if it's the right move for a feature length film. It can definitely work, provided it's in the hands of a competent director. Spawn has been somewhat culturally irrelevant since the late 90s (along with my favorite character of all time, Lobo) so going this route for a first film in a series is pretty ballsy.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

although the idea its cool. Think about "IT" and the screen time the clown got and still be THE character of the movie.

but yeah problem comes with the "superhero" part of the equation. Where people would just read that, associate the superhero/comic part of it with every mayor blockbuster film released since IronMan, and then complain that "hes too scary for a superhero" and why hes not the lead role, or why we dont see him, blah blah

in the good hands it can be awesome, but I do agree its a mayor risk and it could/will backfire.

and to be honest I do also watched the animated series when Iw as a kid and watched the movie. I WANT to see him, not to be treaded as a "shark" with 5 min of total screen time

5. KnightBrolaire

yeah but with IT, making pennywise into the boogeyman is the whole point. Doing it with spawn will be a bit harder since he's an anti-hero. It's going to be hard to empathize with characters in the spawn universe since nearly all of them are pieces of shit (excluding spawn's wife/daughter). It can be done (like the new Punisher series did with billy the beaut/Jigsaw, who was never a likable character in the comics imo) but I won't hold my breath.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh exactly. It can be done, but yeah like I said, problem comes with the "superhero" part of it. Like they could make the approach of making him a scary/un-known figure, but it also beats the point of his story and how he "defends" the world .

the idea might be good, but its gonna backfire pretty bad imo. Or at the very elast be a great movie that leaves you a constant "but I wanna see more of him"

7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The one person that can ruin this movie is Todd MacFarlane himself.

I haven't properly followed the development this new Spawn film is going through, but based on MacFarlane's history with well, everything, it could certainly be another terrible attempt of putting the one IP he has left into film. If he however gets a team that genuinely cares for the property and write an actual compelling story, then maybe it'd be good.

We shall see.