New Rock Portfolio Mix - Having trouble with balancing

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by schwiz, Jan 12, 2018.

1. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I've been probably overthinking and over mixing this entire track, so I would like to get another set of ears on it. My issues with the balancing are probably due to having to automate a lot of the bus volumes as the takes for each section of guitar are not consistent volume-wise. I did my best to compress and limit the guitars to keep the volumes more consistent, but I couldn't take that any further without smashing the living shit out of them. There's automation on all the guitar tracks and I would like to find out if something jumps out of your speakers and donkey punches you in the face... and if so, I'll tame it. I think I have the sub balanced correctly but I'm actually leaning towards adding more of the sub bass in - like around 100hz or so.

Lastly, I generally struggle with mastering EQ. When I get to the point of mastering, I tend to leave all the EQ as is, and if there is something noticeably off, I go back to the mix and fix it. I don't have any post EQ on this track. So if something sticks out on that front, please call it out.

Anyways, I'm planning to use this song for my porfolio, so I'd like to get it right. :)

https://soundcloud.com/schwizbeats/model-decoy-hearts-in-atlantis-jes-schwartz-mix-master

Thanks!!

2. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

link says: 'track not found'.

3. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Sorry about that. I ended up taking it down due to finding a rather large error. Let's just say make sure you know what sample and bit rates you're supposed to be working with PRIOR to exporting the mixdown. :/