New Preamp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by fps, Mar 11, 2018.

Which bang for the buck preamp should I go for?

1. Audient ID22

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Something else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fps

fps Kit

My Presonus Firestudio is no longer compatible with my computer. I have a Macbook Pro with Logic.
    I would like something with 2-4 channels that offers slightly higher quality than the Presonus without breaking the bank - this wasn't a planned purchase.
    I was looking at the Audient ID22 - has anyone used one of these? How would I add more preamps to it if I was looking to expand my input/output options for recording?
    Does anyone else have some affordable bang for the buck recommendations?

At the moment, this will mostly be for recording a variety of guitars either mic'd up or through a POD HD500, and also for room mics for recording jamming with friends and as a Bass DI.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

What you are looking for is an interface, not just a preamp, just incase you end up getting a preamp that isn't an interface too!
    The Audient looks ideal.
    You could expand it with a Focusrite Octopre (which IS just a preamp) using the ADAT input which accepts 8 digital channels :)

3. fps

fps Kit

Sorry you're absolutely right, an interface. Ah, do I can use the ADAT on the Audient, and those can each go to a separate channel? And there are several preamps which do this? Perfect!

Winspear likes this.
  4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yup, ADAT is an 8 channel digital connection :)
    The Audient ID22 will give you 10 inputs in the DAW, preamp 1, preamp 2, and ADAT 1-8.
    The 8 preamps of something like the Octopre are converted to digital and connected from Octopre optical output to ID22 optical input making the 8 ADAT channels

fps likes this.