New pickups for my RGA321f?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Allealex, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:34 AM.

1. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

Yes, yet another "Need nu PUs 4 my gitars gimme advice!!!11!!1!", sorry guys!

Anyway, I think I'm getting tired of the Aftermath in my Ibby RGA321f, I found it to be a tad tighter than I need, and it's also a bit shrill for lead playing IMHO.

I mostly play ( or at least I try to) prog metal, something in between Haunted Shores and new-ish Intervals stuff

I'm looking for the most versatile pickups as possible, I mainly play in E standard/drop D so I don't need ultra tight bass response, also I've been trying to improve my lead playing lately, so I would like to keep away from "djent-eq" pickups with tons of high-mids and treble (for example BKP Aftermath, SD Nazgul, DiMarzio D-Activator) because I really do not like that kind of eq for lead playing.

Also, nice split-coils tone would be MUCH appreciated :D

I was thinking about an Alnico-Nailbom set from BKP but I'm not 100% sure.

Let me know what you guys think about it, any kind of help is appreciated! :)

2. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Bkp coldsweat might be more up your style. One of my facorite set ive played is the SD custom5/jazz combo. Its like a pushed paf (moderate output) very clear. Not ice picky, tight lowend but its punchy. Very versatile set.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

haunted shores you say? black winters or the alpha/omega set. both are great for that kind of sound. Personally I'd go for an omega and a coldsweat neck (or liquifire if you want to go cheaper). You'd be able to cover a ton of tonal ground with a set up like that.
    or if you want to stick with only bkp, try a black dog and coldsweat combo. It's one of my personal favorites. You get a snarly mean bridge sound combined with a smooth liquidy neck sound so it works for all kinds of styles.

4. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

Duncan distortion neck and bridge. Bridge has great thick low end (but yet still fairly tight) and no harsh highs like most high gain pups. The neck is great for modern metal leads but also sings on lower gain amps like the Vox ac30, can get your blues on if need be! Really versatile set.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

Hey guys thank you all for the answers!
    Isn't the ColdSweat supposed to be really bright and somehow "sharp"?

I've heard some great thing about Black Winters, but how do they perform on cleans? I might be wrong, but I thought they're like the "refined" version of the Distortion.

The Alpha/Omega set is a bit too expensive, I wasn't able to find one at less than 320 euros, which is about 70-ish more than a BKP set.

BKP-only is not necessary, but every BKP I tried has surprised me in some way (had a PK/CS combo in an another guitar and it was really good) :D
    Never thought about the BlackDog, I'm gonna get some infos!

I actually had a TB6 bridge in a mahogany body-maple neck Ibby some time ago, and IIRC it was a very aggressive pickup with a strong presence. It wasn't bad indeed (very easy to cut in the mix) but I don't think that's what I'm looking for right now

I've also heard some great things about the DiMarzio Superdistortion and D-sonic in the bridge position, along with an Air Norton in the neck position, do you guys have any experience with them?

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Cold sweat neck is smooth and liquidy sounding, it's not very bright imo.
    Black winters have pretty good cleans, they're not super sparkly or anything if you're looking for a strat sound/shimmer, but for high output humbuckers they're quite nice.
    a pegasus is a good substitute for the omega if price is an issue (swap a ceramic magnet into it and it's essentially an omega).

7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Well, the Black Winters and the Pegasus/Sentient set work well for this. Both sound great split, and both do much more than metal- they also sound great in standard tuning. The BWs have more mids, while the Pegasus/Sentient are more scooped, so pick your EQ.

8. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

Mmmh seems like the Pegasus/Sentient set could do it for me, I'll let you guys know!

9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I have an RGA121H (this version doesn't have a maple top though like the regular 121's or 321's) with Pegasus/Sentient pickups and I think it sounds great. It should definitely be able to nail the newer Intervals stuff since Aaron was using this pickup set for quite awhile before he started playing Suhr's.

10. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I had a set in my RG421 and I personally thought they had some of the best cleans I've heard out of all the pickups I've used.