New Mick Thomson Jackson

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by steinmetzify, Sep 12, 2017.

1. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I'm just explaining why it's priced that high. You can call it whatever you want (Jackson's site labels them as special editions). It's a guitar out of the custom shop by master builders (a fact that I think is overlooked by many of the comments)...it's going to cost a lot of money.

AxeHappy and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I understand that, but I don't think a guitar that appeals to Slipknot fans understands their target audience when they put a 4-5k price tag on it. And sure, it's probably worth that, but it's only worth what the target audience is willing to pay for it.

But at least it's not like the 90s Ace Frehley sig Gibson produced. They only made 300 [I think it was 300 anyways], and of those, a handful [~30] never even got released because they were such garbage upon completion and got sent to the scrap heap. Sounds fine and dandy, right? I mean, only the quality ones get put out, and that only makes them rarer, so all should be good...

Wrong. They put whatever the fuck pickups in the guitars because Dimarzio sent them whatever to fulfill the order, so some may or may not be Super Distortions, and should you want to remove the incorrect pickups to put the right ones in, you've just devalued a collectible, rare guitar. To make this even more frustrating, the cheaper versions had the correct specs. Even weirder, the prototypes they made for Ace were based on a different version of the LP [maybe a Custom or something, whereas he I think uses a Studio or perhaps vice versa]. Maybe these are the kind of issues that Brent of Mastodon had when he was working on his sig with Epiphone. If memory serves, there was some talk about him having issues with Epiphone and the release of his sig V was kinda bittersweet.

So, at least they are likely to do this right, but I still think it's way too much for a guitar that mostly appeals to angsty teens. Whomever said it prior was right on target when they mentioned that Periphery appeals to people wanting a high end/custom level guitar, so it makes sense having a guitar at that price point, but for a guitarist from Slipknot... eh.

3. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

You make some good points about target audience, but this guitar might go to somebody that isn't even a fan of Mick or Slipknot. It's an aggressive metal guitar that probably appeals to a number of people outside of the slipknot universe. This version doesn't have a giant "SEVEN" carved into the fretboard (or an obnoxious "P" like the bulb edition jug). An "angsty teen" edition may come later in a production model that really does a better job targeting mick's/slipknot's fan base and will be significantly cheaper. In fact, he mentions that he's still working with Jackson for upcoming models in a video promoting his new sig.

I purchased a guitar from a similar limited Jackson run last year. I got the Dave Davidson warrior because it appealed to me as a world class metal instrument, not because it was marketed to Revocation fans (or the Kiss Army you were alluding to earlier). I dug the shape, finish, specs, and was shopping around for another 7-string with a Floyd at the time and I had a good relationship with the dealer, so it all worked out. Because they were committed to a limited run, it meant the wait time would be 6 months instead of 2 years for a one-off guitar out of the custom shop. If the timing didn't work out, i'd have probably ordered a different guitar, "special edition" label or not...it just happened to pop up while I was in the market for new gear. Also, there's no revocation logo nor is dave's name anywhere on the guitar - you'd never know it was a signature instrument (hence the broader appeal).

I think I've read a few NGD posts about players picking up the PRS Holcomb because it was a longer scale USA PRS with a cool finish, not because they were periphery fan-boys. I recently saw one guy on this forum repaint his Holcomb with an 80's style tiger stripe motif (probably to the dismay of many die-hard periphery fans).

couverdure and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You may be right. I guess we'll see.

The thing about Ace is that he's moderately liked outside of the KISS universe. I've had friends who didn't like KISS, but thought highly of Ace, and enjoyed his 1978 solo album.

I think, and I mean no offense to Mr. Mansoor, that Mark Holcomb might just be, given a few more years, the Ace of the group. Not in terms of being a fuck up or any of his extracurricular activities, but rather that he's well liked outside of the band's sphere. I'm not exactly a fan of the band, but I think Mark is pretty cool. Also, I love the tiger stripe finish if you're talking about one like the ones Lynch used.

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Im a bit visual guy too. So at least with the Bulb I could justify the price with the construction/features/stain colors, But for (in my eyes) a plain color with a flat top, no fancy woods, "generic" guitar, it doesnt justify the even higher price price

6. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I'm absolutely aware of WHY they cost so much... I'm just wondering if Mick is worth the effort. I know he's a popular artist and all, but his biggest fans don't seem to be gear nerds willing to drop 4k+ on a signature. I could very well be wrong though!

Regarding the ibanez models, no I don't think they had super high priced models. I was curious what the sales figures on the expensive models were. (the premium models as opposed to the $700 duncan designed equipped models.) They clearly sold some, I'm just wondering if they sold enough where it would make sense to offer a limited 4k model for the die hard fans.

lewis likes this.
  7. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I'm sure some of 1999's "angsty teens" have made enough money since then to buy a custom shop guitar.

AxeHappy and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I bet even die hard Mick fans who buy this, after 3 months would be like "yeah, this wasnt worth it"

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

I have to agree. I could see a $666.00 professional series sig. But this I just cant see appealing to many people at all. I mean even if I lived In iowa, and slipknot was my favorite band and I just won the powerball, its still a nope.

10. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Now the question is just a matter of are those kids from the late 90's really that into slipknot still that they want a relatively simple looking guitar for crazy custom prices, or would they spend that money on an actual custom?

If I were a fan from the olden days, I'd be more inclined to find one of those gaudy "seven" or "hate" guitars. (I actually own one of the cheap ibbys with the "seven" inlay for the lulz.) Bonus points if you get one of the Warlocks. Fuck those were ugly.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

I think I may be with you on that one. I generally don't like their music at all, but having seen a few of his interviews around release time of his signature model, he does seem like a cool dude.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

No, but they had the $6000 (not MSRP, actual sale price) M8M and Steve Vai sigs, which was made in a custom shop. And their $4000+ Jcustoms.
    People don't talk about this period much, but apparently the late '80s - early 2000s is also Gibsons 2nd best period. Supposed to be some pretty kickass-quality stuff from this era. Probably because they were trying to get out of the rut they had in the '80s

13. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

One thing you seem to be forgetting. Mishas builds are usually a lot more involved. Fancy woods and masked binding techniques and inlays. There really isnt much that is custom on this guitar except the custom shop logo and micks cut. My point being if you went to the custom shop and specd this guitar out before mick was even on the radar at jackson would a red soloist with no inlays and a reverse headstock cost $6,666. I doubt it. Imho its a very very basic guitar for lots and lots of money. It isnt the first time jackson has had a head scratcher, but its a head scratcher to me nonetheless.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  14. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Another pro of using a Floyd as a "fixed" bridge - Fine tuners!

15. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

I really don't get all the furore here, this is a limited production item, built by the head luthiers at the custom shop, and the price directly reflects that. It's no different than the Dave Davidson sig Warrior, or the M8M builds mentioned previously, and those were met with considerably less upset than this. Neither of those had extravagant tops or really fancy anything, they're fairly stripped down, straight forward guitars built by world class shops.

Yes you can buy your own custom for this price point, but that's not the point of these guitars. They're collector items, and your insert brand name custom isn't going to have that, no matter who you buy it from.

Everyones pricing has gone up. Premiums are being listed in stores now for what Prestiges used to sell for, all these major guitar brands are competing with themselves on the used market. This is the new reality of buying high end, new guitars built by production shops. Check the thread below this one about semi custom USA ESP's, and see what $4k is getting you there.

Jackson's listed MSRP has always been high, but I'm yet to see anyone pay close to it in actuality. Dealers are fairly consistently 20-30% lower than that, and then some depending on the dealer.

couverdure and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  16. oracles

As for the Halo mention, go out and buy one. If it's even half as good as these are, consider yourself lucky because you've probably found the best guitar Halo has or ever will build. They thoroughly deserve the reputation they have, they've churned out shitplanks consistently for years, changed management more times than I can count, created fake profiles to leave glowing reviews on forum after forum of one fucked up guitar after another, and by and large, that hasn't changed. They still build terrible instruments. Granted, they aren't alone in this, but that doesn't absolve them of any guilt either.

I've played Dean Murphy's Halo 8 string when he sent it to Paul Ozz to review. It wasn't the worst guitar I've ever played, but it WAS flawed, and it was a genuinely uncomfortable guitar to play. The neck is gigantic in every dimension possible.

17. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

I'm surprised Mick is still using the non-floating double-locking setup, seems like a hassle. I wonder if he's ever tried an Evertune?

Regarding pricing, I agree with oracles. The Dave Davidson Warrior or M8Ms were very similar in pricing and there wasn't nearly a reaction this vocal to either. Not saying I agree with said pricing, but the logic of why the price point is where it is can be followed fairly easily.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Once again, I don't see why it's a hassle. :shrug:

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

If they're only making 6 of these or whatever, they only need to find a handful of formerly angst-ridden kids who now make good money, and another couple whose rich parents will buy them their latest obsession, just because... and the run sells out as a complete success.

20. oracles

The functionality is similar, but tonally there's definitely a difference. The evertune in my experience kills some sustain, and it definitely impacts the overall sound. I also found it bulky feeling under the hand, whereas the blocked Floyd was massively more comfortable.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.