New Mick Thomson Jackson

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by steinmetzify, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Hmmmm reverse headstock, blank ebony board, mahogany body/neck, fixed bridge, active pickups...

My $350 Jackson COW6 gets me halfway there. :fever:

Ammusa, lewis and steinmetzify like this.
  2. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Not to derail any further, but from what I've seen, there's been a number of good reviews of Halo in the last year or so. ERGNerds did a review, as well as Dean Murphy (he might have done two reviews), as well as multiple threads scattered across the web.

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

this!
    not sure what all the complaining about is.

4. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

It takes time to outgrow a reputation for selling badly made shit, and Halo thoroughly earned such a reputation.

Until theres a heap more good reviews, versus the existing bad reviews, people are justified in being sceptical.

possumkiller likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

how is that any different to Gibson, the recent Ibanez's, loads of custom builds that people love getting, kiesels and any other?.

every company has made lemons. It seems to me that some companies get more of a free ride than others despite being guilty of the same shit.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Are Halos seriously made in China? At those prices? Someone must be fucking high to pay for that. :lol:

AxeHappy and theicon2125 like this.
  7. GuitarBizarre

Every company makes lemons, but when for the first few years of its existence your company ONLY seems to make lemons, you can't expect to turn that around in a day.

This is why companoes rebrand or change name rather than fight the first impressions of the public. How many of those oldschool japanese and chinese manufacturers from the 70's are STILL considered to he second-tier builders today despite having been putting out quality product for decades?

People don't forget a brand's reputation easily. It takes time. That's why Gibson's brand is still worth something and Halo's is worth jack shit. Maybe in 20 years that'll flip if gibson's buyers don't turn the quality around and Halo's team doesn't fall back into old ways.

lewis likes this.
  8. GuitarBizarre

There's nothing wrong with chinese manufacturing. Plenty of extremely high tech industry is in china producing bleeding edge product.

It just so happens to be the same country where labour is cheap and working conditions can be shitty, so you get a full spectrum of quality and not just the high end, like you would in a country that regulates industry differently.

_MonSTeR_ and lewis like this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

and again, how many people have played these "chinese built guitars" before instantly deeming them garbage?

At least play a few first before telling everyone online they are going to be garbage. So many people are guilty of that.

10. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Yeah, halo started off poorly and people remember them for that. Kiesel has generally made good instruments, as did Gibson. Only (semi) recently did they start throwing a wrench in their good names, so people still give them a chance. Which is why it'd be in Jeff's best interest to pick up the customer service slack.

I've played a couple halo guitars and they weren't great. They weren't trash, but definitely not worth the price. This was however a little while ago, so who knows? I know I'm not willing to gamble my money to find out.

11. Carcaridon

Carcaridon SS.org Regular

I'd have grabbed this in a heartbeat if it was under $4k. $4999 is just too much. I'll keep an eye out for it on the used market someday, or maybe the production line will be sweet.

12. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

The tuning stability is the attraction, I have to assume, especially for a touring band, too. But now the Evertune exists... Why not use that? If I was fortunate enough to be a touring musician, I sure as shit would be taking advantage of the Evertune.

lewis likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

There's really no hassle with using a Floyd Rose when you have multiple guitars for multiple tunings, and a tech to do your string changes. :lol: Honestly, using a fixed Floyd gets rid of like... 90% of the hassle of owning a Floyd.

And as you said, impeccable tuning stability. Plus, a Floyd Rose just feels good to palm mute on. Very flat and smooth.

Also, I've heard of sustain issues with an Evertune. With this setup, the sustain issues are much less even compared to a regular Floyd Rose, since you're only routing out the wood to fit the bridge in and the sustain bar. No routing necessary to make the bridge move around freely.

Exactly. 5 - 10 years of bad reviews doesn't make up for 1 - 2 years of okay reviews.

And all of those guitars are getting rightfully bashed. :lol: Seriously, half the time you mention Gibson and Kiesel here, you get people bashing them. And don't forget about Indo Ibbys, there's a lot of haters of the Iron Labels here.

And as I said before, Halo has had YEARS of bad reputation. Releasing lemon after lemon. That reputation doesn't disappear because of a couple of cherry-picked guitars sent to reviewers.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    possumkiller and lewis like this.
  14. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

This is what sold me.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I just re-read what I posted and got that sounds fucking weird. :lol:

Dineley likes this.
  16. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

I don't know man. In my experience Gibson has been spotty on and off its entire lifespan.

possumkiller and lewis like this.
  17. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Their early/vintage stuffs were always pretty good. They're well known for a reason. I actually like their newer stuff too, but they hit a pretty gnarly rough spot in the early 2000's, but let us not beat that dead horse.

I'm surprised Jackson is aiming so high with his sig. With Misha it sorta made sense since the whole crowd that's into him being gear whores. Having a high end/high priced guitar made sense there. But slipknot is like a poor angsty teen vent. Fewer people who really care about their gear are going to be into it. I wonder what Ibanez's sales were like on thier higher end models. I can't imagine they were super great.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Were ibanez ever selling mick signatures with $6000 prices attached with $4500+ being realistic?.
    I honestly cant remember. Does anyone know.

19. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

You guys are forgetting that this isn't a production model, it's "limited edition" from the custom shop just like the Dave Davidson Warrior, special edition lamb of god dominion signature, and the reverse headstock PC1 DX. They're making 15 out of the custom shop...the misha juggernauts were production models. I'm sure if they made a special edition custom shop signature for misha it would run the same price tag as these other limited editions.

As far as Ibanez, the last I can remember is the limited run out of one of their Japanese shops for the meshuggah M8M guitar, and those went for 5-6K street price. Not too far off from what Jackson is doing with these special runs.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You sound like a KISS fan trying to justify Gene's overpriced box set with a price of anywhere from 2k-50k depending upon whether you want a shitty group meet n greet, or to have him bring it to your fucking door and hang out for two hours, probably clogging the toilet in the process. "But it's LIMITED! Totally worth the astronomical price tag!" Does it better your quality of life in ratio with the price tag? Probably not, especially when compared to the rest of your guitar collection, so I still don't see the point. You could get another Japan or USA made Jackson and slap some Mick Thomson pickups in and probably save yourself a large chunk of cash.

lewis likes this.