New Mick Thomson Jackson

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by steinmetzify, Sep 12, 2017.

1. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

But it's not a production model. It's a limited edition of 15 guitars masterbuilt in the Custom Shop, which is part of the high cost. There's no wait time now that they're built - there are 3 or 4 I've seen still available.

No denying that, which is why this isn't a shocking price, and more what you'd expect.

couverdure, AkiraSpectrum and stevexc like this.
  2. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

Oh I had no idea it was a limited run. In that case it makes even more sense for Jackson to get the most profit out of their limited production process. From the business process perspective, there would be a huge cost difference between mass production vs limited production. Funny how this limited run made me feel when I ordered my Holcomb PRS. I was thinking "It's now or never". These companies surely know how to seduce fans.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

From what I've heard (not sure if it's true) this is just a limited model and there would be a full-fledged sig model later on with a legit fixed-bridge Floyd, instead of a MacGyvered hardtailed floating Floyd.

Also, this is old news. They released this back in January for NAMM.

Actually it's going to be around $4500 - $5000, which is how much you would expect to spend on a higher-end custom shop guitar.

But I still wouldn't bay $2300 for a fucking Halo. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    AxeHappy likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

5. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

You guys keep calling it a 6K or 7K guitar....in reality you can probably get it for much cheaper and it'll be a masterbuilt guitar out of the custom shop (probably cheaper than what it would cost to get a one-off).

My experience with these Jackson and Charvel guitars is that you can get them at about 35-40 percent off the listed retail, especially if you preorder them (or they've been sitting around - my case with the GG charvel).

Examples:

I pre-ordered one of the Dave Davidson warriors through a dealer and paid $3900 although the retail on the Jackson website was around $6500 (~40% off retail).

I pre-ordered my Broderick soloist 7 for $2100 when I think the retail was listed at $3700 at the time (~40% off retail).

Pulled the trigger on a Charvel Guthrie Govan Birdseye Top for $2700 back when they retailed for $5400 (~50% off retail - it's since gone down to $4100 with the 2017 models). At the time, I shopped around and saw other dealers advertising this guitar around $3,000-$3,3000 (~40% off retail).

It all depends on what the dealer is going to ask up front and how much lower they're willing to go. The number listed on Jackson's website shouldn't even be a starting point. This Mick Thompson guitar will likely go for $4-4.5K once they hit the dealers or a few hundred less if you pre-order through a dealer. It also helps to shop around...some dealers will start high and won't budge...take a look at the Davidson warrior still up for sale through tundra music (been listed on ebay for 12 months at over 5K). I believe all the other dealers I contacted sold this model without much issue and at a much lower price.

For me, I don't go around claiming my jacksons/charvels are 4K, 5K, 6K instruments because that's the MSRP on the website...I value them at what I paid, which is much less. I don't go around claiming my Regius is a 9K guitar...it's just a numbers game to make it seem like you're getting more worth than what you put in. No one will ever pay $6,666 for this Mick Thompson guitar...it's just a tool to make the consumer think they've saved money or the dealer is making you a great offer.

As for the people complaining about the base prices for the USA standard models, I don't think they've jumped up too much based on inflation. I have a USA SL1 (pile of skulls paintjob) I grabbed from musicians friend back in 1997 for about $1,750. Fast forward 20 years and the adjustment for inflation brings that to around $2670 - on par with what the SL1s are going for today from musicians friend and other online dealers.

JimF, feraledge and nikt like this.
  6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Ah, what people will pay for a pile of skulls.

mastapimp and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  7. austink

austink SS.org Regular

8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

This thread reminds me of the kid that planned on spending a hilarious amount of cash on a lefty of misha's sig. What happened to that kid anyway?

9. marcwormjim

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Uh... did he get laughed off of the forums?

11. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Adjusting for inflation, $1200 in 1996 would be $1872 now.

Currently an RR1 is $2,699.99 at sweetwater, so that's an adjusted price increase of 44%

It's a lot but it's also not as much as people make it sound.

12. marcwormjim

It should be 6 dollars, and inflatable.

stevexc likes this.
  13. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

14. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

It's been brought up multiple times but people keep glossing over and talking about MSRP as if it's the actual price.

These run $5K, there were only 15 made and they were master-built by the Jackson CS pros, it comes with a hefty ATA case, etc. Jackson Custom Shop prices are high and have been for a while, but this is on par with any other Limited Edition Master-built run.

Keep in mind, Ibanez put out the limited run of M8M signature models built by the Sugi team a while back and those were $6K with a regular tolex hardshell case. Some folks made a stink about the price, others said "that seems perfectly normal for an artist sig built by their highest tier builders!"... it's the exact same thing here. :lol: Stuff like this is always aimed at the diehard fans and collectors who either sell everything they have to buy one guitar or will be adding it to a collection of other nice gear. :shrug:

Personally, I dig the specs (the side bar markers are pretty cool, wouldn't mind those on a Soloist actually) but I'm not a Slipknot fanboy and I don't love it enough to think it's a "$5K-cool" model. I don't begrudge the fans or collectors who do though. :)

Side-note: The whole "well I could buy a similarly-spec'd Halo for $2K+!!!" argument is beyond laughable. They are not even remotely comparable and clearly not in the same quality range. That's like trying to say "I could buy a Honda Civic for $20K, it's practically the same as the Acura NSX! They're both cars and they both have engines, why would anyone spend all that extra money?!" :rofl:

15. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

I'm just wondering why they went with $6,666.65 vs. $6,666.66... I can't be the only one lost on that, am I? Definitely not $6500 worth of guitar, I'd rather order a barebones Carillion AND a Daemoness for that!

AxeHappy likes this.
  16. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

I think six 6s (two 666s) may seem too.. Heretic

cwhitey2 likes this.
  17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

If you have two 666s they cancel each other out.

18. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It's simple maths/demonic calculus.

19. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

Mr. Thomson to Jackson "I want this guitar to be as metal as possible, Blood red, Floyd Rose, pointy headstock, and we need to have it be as evil as possible. The MSRP needs to be 2 sets of sixes... or $6666.66"
    Jackson to Mr. Thomson "I'm sorry, sir... but, I'm afraid that's just too evil! We have to take a penny off, and make it $6666.65." Mr. Thomson to Jackson "...SIGH... you're completely right, at $6666.66, it just wouldn't sell"

20. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Yes, people need to understand that MSRP is a list price and NOT what anyone will pay. Regardless, even making this a $4-5k axe is f;ing insane. Hell, I'll build everyone here the same thing for $1500 each!! :D

possumkiller likes this.