New Mick Thomson Jackson

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by steinmetzify, Sep 12, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I just created this Custom Halo using their guitar builder. Selected the exact same specs as this sig from Jackson. I Got relatively close.

It came in at $2274

[​IMG]

r33per likes this.
  2. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Back in the day, I used to try to avoid buying guitars with trems, just because I don't use them. But my taste in guitars tends toward brands and shapes that typically have Floyds, so I was missing out on a lot of stuff I would have otherwise wanted. At some point, I realized that you can just block a Floyd, and still take advantage of some of its features. I happen to like the physical feel of them (although I prefer top-mounted rather than recessed), and how my palm rests on it. And I love the fine tuners and benefits of having a double locking system, even if I'm not using the trem. So this is really like the coolest bridge system ever for people like me. Granted, we are probably a minority. But I think you are taking the "floating" part too literal here. It's no longer floating - it's just a fixed locking bridge shaped like a Floyd and paired with a locking nut ... if that makes more sense to think about it that way.

Carcaridon, mlp187 and farren like this.
  3. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

This does nothing for me.

At that price, I don't just want a good (great!) instrument, I want beautiful as well. That's just a slab of plastic-coated wood to me.

And yes: if you're going to put in a Floyd, put one in; if you're going to have a fixed bridge, put one in. That thing is just looking like something it is not setting us all up for disappointment - whether we like Floyds or not.

:fullofit:

4. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

That is SOOOOOO much nicer.

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I thought that haha

r33per likes this.
  6. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

7 grand and they can't figure that Floyd out properly?

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

warmoth doesn't make neck thrus. My whole problem with the guitar is that specs wise it just seems like a regular old soloist where they blocked the floyd, which doesn't warrant it being a custom shop model imo. At 5k I'd rather get exactly what I want.

8. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I couldn't agree more on rather spending $5k on exactly what you want - I would too (although this is actually in the ballpark of something I'd want). I'm just saying that if that happened to be what someone wanted, that's what it would cost anyway.

9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Not my thing, why leaving Ibanez if you endup with the equivalent of Dino's RG.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  10. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

I haven't had a thread leave this much of a palm-shaped impression in my face in a long time.

Now THERE'S a high price worth getting outraged about. $2 grand for a Halo? Jeeeeze.

feraledge, AxeHappy, oracles and 5 others like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

go away and happily spunk $6666 on the Jackson then.
    Meanwhile we will all be facepalming ourselves whilst you do it.

12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

At least he'd get a good, if overpriced guitar. You'd still be left with a $2k+ Halo.

feraledge, AxeHappy, oracles and 4 others like this.
  13. stevexc

Hit a sore spot, did I?

I don't know where I even implied I have any interest in buying it. I just think the sheer hyperbole running rampant in this thread is absolutely hilarious. $5 grand for a limited edition, high-end Jackson is a bit on the high end for sure, but come on. It's not far out of line with any other Jackson Masterbuilt guitar. And saying someone else could build it for cheaper is comparing apples to oranges.

AxeHappy, couverdure and theicon2125 like this.
  14. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

For the price that costs....couldn't you get an actual Jackson custom shop?

15. stevexc

Custom colour, hardtail floyd and maple/rosewood/maple neck may drive up the price. I count about $6300 MSRP for an otherwise similar custom shop. So price would be about the same, but then you lose out on the whole point of buying a limited edition collectible.

16. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

I think the price reflects Mick's artistic/marketable value set by Jackson whether you agree or not; this model is aimed at hardcore..hardcore Slipknot fans. It is a production model so I am assuming the wait time won't be as long as the custom shop route. Plus this model will always have that Mick's signature/name meaning that you are purchasing that artist's name value. I mean when I purchased Jim Root strat of course I thought about other reasonable ways to get a similarly spec'd guitar at a lower price range but it all came down to the fact that I WANT to get Jim's sig model and I did not want it any other way.

AxeHappy and stevexc like this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

where did i say i was buying a Halo?

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i never said I was buying a Halo.

19. stevexc

I... didn't assume, let alone say that you were? I took that post exactly how you intended it - as an illustrative example of how much a guitar with the same (similar) specs would cost. My point was that regardless of how similar the specs were I do not believe the Halo would be an equivalent quality guitar, and that given the reviews of seen of various Halo guitars not worth the price.

AxeHappy, couverdure and xzacx like this.
  20. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I'm a little surprised not many people have discussed how expensive Jackson guitars have gotten since the Fender buyout happened. I have old Musicians Friend Catalogs from like 1996 where You could get a USA Rhoads or Soloist for $1200. I special ordered a brand new Jackson Warrior in a custom color in '03 and it was only $1600 out the door, the same guitar now would be over $3K. I think Jackson prices have gone up way more than any other brand in recent years.