New Jason Becker Track Feat/ Vai, Loomis, Kotzen, Friedman and More!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by IbanezDaemon, Oct 11, 2018.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

fps, aesthyrian, Trashgreen and 4 others like this.
  2. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I listened to this yesterday and it really let me down as a first representation of this new album. I have the warmth in the wilderness compilations and this sounded like it fit right in with the "Jam for Jason" section. There's no real theme to this one, just 13 people taking turns to a tepid backing track. Thirteen guitarists in 9 minutes is all over the place. It kind of reminds of of those long winded jam sessions near the end of a G3 concert. I can only stay engaged for so long before i feel ear fatigue.

I grew up on Jackson Becker and he was really my first shred guitar hero alongside Marty Friedman and Yngwie, but what I loved about his music was that it was generally very thematic, even with the blistering speed lines. I really hope the rest of the album has some developed songs as I was really looking forward to this when it was announced a while back.

I play music, wakjob, Kaura and 2 others like this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Well, that's what it sounded like because that's what it was. The last few quote tiles are from jason, and he said he didn't tell any of them what to play, specifically. It was meant to be their own things. From a marketing angle if for no other reason, it makes the most sense to release the star-studded track as the first track,

There's indications that on the other tracks, that he did give specific feedback when he wasn't getting what he was looking for.

4. IbanezDaemon

That's your opinion and you are absolutely correct in voicing it. I love the track myself...sure it's a lot of guitarists in 9 mins but for me they have all captured that Jason vibe in their own way and let's be honest you'll never see that line up or even 1/4 of it on a single track again...ever. Each to their own of course and thanks for your input. :)

aesthyrian likes this.
  5. IbanezDaemon

Agreed! Thanks for your input!

6. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

It seems though like these players are definitely a bit more in the "becker" style on these solos than they would be otherwise with the bends, arps, and expressions. Just my .02. Seems like they are trying to pay tribute to the man himself a bit.

AxeHappy and IbanezDaemon like this.
  7. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I was really pleased to see what Michael Lee Firkins did on "End of the Beginning" off of Perspective and am hoping there's more like that in this new album. I know that the guys are paying tribute, but it's just not going to get a lot of spins from me. I liked the warmth in the wilderness tracks where each guitarist had the whole tune to shine, which is more of my preference, but I get that others would enjoy this for what it is, a massive celebration on one track.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  8. IbanezDaemon

More info in the link below. I've already pre ordered my copy. Can't wait to hear the track that features Satch and Guthrie.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jo...red-on-jason-beckers-triumphant-hearts-album/

mastapimp likes this.
  9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

i've been becoming more and more of a fan of MLF. i've seen him play a few times now, and I'm always impressed. Once was at a JB "Not Dead Yet" benefit show, and then two other small clubs/bars. Love his version of "War pigs" with a resonator tele and slide. Really fun.

mastapimp likes this.
  10. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Has anyone got sharp enough ears to tell which solo is who?

4:23-4:54 is so clean...there's a bend at 4:38 that says "Greg Howe" to me but I dunno for sure.

11. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

ok

it does actually say in the video who is playing at each moment but don't let that stop anyone trying to guess without looking, it certainly amused me for a few minutes

12. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

First of all, mad respect for Becker for still doing music despite his health condition and he used to be really talented guitarist. But this song just sounds so outdated. I've never liked the 80´s and 90´s instrumental albums by guitarists because they just sound like @mastapimp said, mindless shredding over a stale backing track.

I mean, sure if you listen to something like Altitudes by Becker, the leads are tasty but it still gets boring after a while when the lead guitar is the focus all the time. Maybe it's just because I'm so young but I really prefer and would even call the current generation of guitarists more talented because there's more focus towards the overall composition.

Take Jason Richardson for example, if you took out the leads they still would sound like real songs with riffing and interesting drum parts instead of just a simple backing track that sounds like it was taken straight out of some random backing track video on Youtube.

mastapimp likes this.
  13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

You have to remember this style of composition was from a time when it was basically soloing over a backing track. It got done to death so your ears are fatigued from it or like you said newer guitarists catch your ear more because they are actively trying to avoid that approach.

I love how you can tell its Vai or Gilbert or Marty straight away. Even though they are playing in Becker's style they just can't help but ooze their own mojo. They way they pick or bend is just so recognisable. Not really a fan of instrumental guitar these days but this is a fabulous celebration of Jason Becker's musical style.

mastapimp and IbanezDaemon like this.
  14. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Funny thing is, I love "Altitudes." One of my favorites to play and listen to...and I can't stand Jason Richardson's music! Different tastes i guess =)

15. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Yeah, real shame it's no Jason Richardson track.. :scratch:

16. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I think this "new generation" of generic metal shredders are tired and bland now, the guys on this Becker track sounded fresher, apart from Loomis.

IbanezDaemon and aesthyrian like this.
  17. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I heard this track elsewhere and I think its awesome.

IbanezDaemon and AxeHappy like this.
  18. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I love it, but over the top guitar wank is right up my alley.

Also:
    Anything that gets Greg Howe more press is outstanding. Guy is a fucking monster and it seems like no one knows who he is.

IbanezDaemon and Surveyor 777 like this.
  19. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I like Howe's two albums with Kotzen, but when left to his own devices, you get Maragold. Hard pass.

20. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I had a luke warm reaction to the Valley of Fire track, but this new one released today is incredible. Never heard of the vocalist, but his solo runs complement the arrangement and the guitar leads perfectly. Gonna preorder this one for sure.

kamello and shadowlife like this.