New Harley Benton FanFret-8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Van Portogal, Oct 10, 2016.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

waiting for it to arrive...tracker =

"The slightly damaged shipment is being repackaged"

:hber: great

2. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Does someone at the post office not like you? Djeez.

lewis likes this.
  3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Hope you have better luck than me... once DHL just put my amp inside a bag with bubbles..."repackaged"

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I know right. I think I talked it up because before the headless debacle I had gone like 10 years worth of orders and all of them had been flawless. Now I have the last 2 in 2 which seem to have problems....

The guitar was a B stock granted but I prey its not now smashed up. Not looking good with that tracking info I must say......

Yeah exactly. Stories like this are why I now fear the worst... at least Thomanns refund policy is amazing. If this arrives smashed up, no doubt they will offer the 2018 version for the same price I paid for this as an apology (saving like £40)
    Im sure I remember them doing that before years ago for me when a Harley Benton flying V I ordered, arrived with the headstock and horns with full pieces missing.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

arrived fine despite how shit it was "packaged"/

Loose bubble wrapped guitar flopping around inside a large hollow box?

Not sure how its Bstock?. Its genuinely immaculate haha.

Will post a NGD thread soon.

rahnvu likes this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

You seem to have the best bad luck of anyone I know! :lol:

rahnvu and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha thought that myself lol

8. Icedfirefly

Icedfirefly SS.org Regular

Hello guys.

Has anyone changed the pickups in one of the new models yet?
    I really want to change them, maybe for some seymour duncans, but dunno how much routing needs to be done.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I saw this being an issue which is why I jumped on the 2017 models instead tbh.

Slanted pickups is only worth doing if every company offers them and they are mainstream. Given as they are not, Im glad I personally dont have this issue. Im presuming it would require a fair bit of routing sadly.

10. Arthur McCay

Arthur McCay SS.org Regular

I am getting a Harley Benton 7-string BBB 2018 this month and they have this non-standard routing too. So I googled up a couple pickup manufactures (both from Russia lol). ARB pickups and Fokin pickups - last one is hilarious. :lol: They seems to make slanted pickups that should fit into my harley benton.

Just a couple guitars I found with these pickups (you can find a few videos on youtube as well).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks decent. Couldn't find any info on their websites, guess you gotta contact them. But average prices (for their standard pickups) are around $80.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  11. bostjan

You should get some Fokin pickups, man. They make one called a Fokin Majestic. Too tempting a name to pass up, IMO. Haha. I don't see any info on their site about eight string pickups, though.

12. Arthur McCay

Fokin Majestic!! xD

There's not much info on their website at all. But I saw his pickups on Lepsky and Padalka 7 and 8 string guitars so I guess there is a way to do that. Anyway, those guys are more likely to do something custom than BKP. At least worth a try. Eh, I'll drop them both an email and post their answer here :)

bostjan likes this.
  13. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

I don't have any personal experience with Fokin Pickups, but this company has a high reputation among Russian guitar players.

14. bostjan

I probably should have linked up their Fokin site, since I was talking about it: http://www.fokinpickups.com/cart/humbuckers/ (in case a third party comes along and is wondering - although the site is po Russky).

I really want to like these Fokin pickups. I'd love to try them Fokin out. If I bought a pair, though, I would really need to get some Fokin stickers, too.

Is Shamray still around? I wonder if he ever tried Fokin with his custom builds.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Arthur McCay likes this.
  15. Arthur McCay

You Fokin rock, mate! As for Shamray, can't really tell. They got their website up and running and I definitely see they do repair jobs and such, but not that there's much going on in their guitar workshop. So far I see a couple axes in 2017 photo album. If they still make guitars they better Fokin use those pickups. Those would make a Fokin shovel sound majestic.

bostjan likes this.
  16. TikiMTL

TikiMTL SS.org Regular

Harley Benton Fanfret-8NT QEB 2018
    Schecter Omen 8
    Ibanez RG8

What's your prefer guys? (or another one) I want to buy my first 8strings guitar.
    Thanks

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ive had the Ibanez RG8 and currently own the Fan Fret 8 string.

Ibanez weighs less and has a wider/flatter neck with wider string spacing. Decent jack of all trades guitar and the cavity is large enough to do any electrical upgrades with no problems. Its also a really comfy weight and is an excellent first 8 string outing.

the HB 8 string weighs alot!!!, has 2 truss rods through the neck for extra stability and with its neck through feels more expensive/stable. But gigging with it could be tough on the back.
    Its neck is not as wide as the Ibanez and neither is the string spacing to my feel (I have not measured them) It feels more a shreddy guitar to me personally. I can play very fast on it. Its cavity is very very small though making electric upgrades limited if thats your sort of thing.

I sold the Ibanez once I got the fan fret HB but only due to lack of room. When my RG8 was finished, cleaned, carbon fibre pickguard on and restrung ready for the new owner, I really wanted to keep her.

I think the Ibanez was snappier due to it being a bolt on.
    ( had to upgrade to locking tuners on both as the stock tuners were terrible)

chopeth and Arthur McCay like this.
  18. TikiMTL

TikiMTL SS.org Regular

lewis likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

you are more than welcome, and also, welcome to Sevenstring.org dude!. :)

20. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

How does this beast handle lower than standard tuning? I'm thinking of maybe go down to D# or even C#, same as After the Burial. I know they use 27" scale guitars with 0.090" strings in C# and they sound fine. I'm a bit worried that it will get muddy, but since it's made of basswood it may sound pretty bright?