New Harley Benton FanFret-8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Van Portogal, Oct 10, 2016.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone know if the ABM saddles fit the Harley Benton screw holes /\ ? The stock ones are OK but not amazing by any means.
    You know you are getting real quality with the ABM and tonally they are obviously better and being rounded, probably more comfy too.

[​IMG]

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

one of my fave modern metal tones is heart of a coward --

was chatting to steve recently (ginger guitarist) and he was saying both of them use emg 81-7s with a low F
    so ive been after doing the same since haha
    he also shared kemper tone tips with me which was awesome

3. Isx

Isx SS.org Regular

Looks like it's back in stock, b-stock and deko!

4. Leoo

Leoo SS.org Regular

I don't get why it's so cheap.. Would you guys prefer this over an RG8?
    I'm currently searching for a budget 8-guitar and fanfret makes quite a lot of sense for an 8-String, but this guitar looks fishy..
    Fanfrets are usually a hell of a lot more expensive. Should I get this one or an RG8?

lewis likes this.
  5. Isx

Isx SS.org Regular

Mine came today! Not had much of a chance to play on it yet but the finish is good, it has apparently been "inspected" by Thomann too which makes sense as it seems a fair chunk of the stock went to B and Deko status.
    The frets seem ok but the fretboard needs cleaning and oiling. Bit annoying they didn't clean off some of the machining residue when the threw the Ddarios on it.

Fair bit of fret buzz on the 8th string but it also seems like the string needs a good stretching so will have to see if this tightens up a bit once they're broken in.

The action is pretty high up especially on the high end up bit but this is easily sorted.

The neck has a fair bit of relief to it so perhaps a in need of some tweaking also.

The only finish problems are around the cavity so no problem there for me at least. The hardware however has flaked slightly in areas such as the tuners and the nurling on the toggle switch but for this price it's no real complaint as they're easily fixed/replaced.

Overall pretty happy with this beast, now the difficult task of adjusting to the two extra strings and fanned frets lay before me.

Interesting times.

lewis likes this.
  6. MisterCirKus

MisterCirKus I want to believe

Hey guys, how are the HB fanfret 8 owners actually ??

Please share your thoughts that's you have more distance now to evaluate it.

If you have some videos it can be cool too !!

Thx

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I think other than needing to adjust action/strings and replace stock tuners and pickups like you would expect to do with any guitar less than like $600+, its incredibly well built and an excellent excellent fanned fret platform to spend abit more on to get it really up to quality.

I put locking tuners on mine and straight away those, along with the stock Graphite nut, make a huge difference.

The neck is seriously solid. I believe it has 2 truss rods. It feels anything but cheap. Also its very easy to play. I didnt have any sharp fret ends either.

With better pickups and locking tuners, these things completely slay for the money. You wont find a better guitar spec wise thats as solid as this for these prices.

MisterCirKus likes this.
  8. MisterCirKus

Thx for the reply, I read different view for the tuners, some people liked them and for me grover is a good brand (have some grover on one of my guitar and it's good) and some people felt the need to change them.

Did you put thicker strings for low strings ? it looks that is needed.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i just play very hard and I think without lockers the Grovers would not have been sufficient.

and to answer you, yes I instantly restrung.
    Put an 80 on bottom but that was for like Drop F
    If I were to go standard Drop E I would probably go 90 or 105 on bottom and see what I prefer tension wise.

Im normally a bigger fan of higher tuning's on an 8 string (prefer thinner strings) so for a large period of time I was in Drop G# open tuning but because of tension on the high strings being too much I had the top two the exact same note/octave which is: (I believe from memory it was this)

G#,D#,G#,C#,G#,C#,G#,G#

But this is why fan frets are a life saver.

10. MisterCirKus

Ok thx, interessting !! For the tuning i think i will go 1/2 step down with or without drop (maybe 1step) not sure, need to try that.

For the strings it's hard to find guitar strings thicker than 80 and i'm pretty sure i would have thicker (90 maybe)

Ti seems that there will be another version of this guitar, i'm pretty sure i will prefer it visually but mahogany neck i don't know... I really prefer maple neck !
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_fanfret_8nt_qeb_2018_dlx.htm

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

bare in mind the new versions are all satin black based on the descriptions and the already shown 6 string version.

So if you still want the cool green colour 8 string then you be will stuck buying last years version. Just a FYI

I actually want the 2018 6 string fan fret. It looks great -

[​IMG]

MisterCirKus likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

this is way better than the RG8 I had.
    heavier and feels more solid. Multiscale is obviously a huge bonus