New Harley Benton FanFret-8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Van Portogal, Oct 10, 2016.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

just got done ebonzing my 2017 8 string. The bleed was dreadful. There was so much. Got the steel wool on it. Got all the bleed off but I do need to polish out the back of the neck now.
    Either way the board looks way better now black.

Going to get Luminlay blue glow dot inlays for the board on this

[​IMG]

and then some white soapbar pickups.

Arthur McCay likes this.
  2. BigHandy

BigHandy SS.org Regular

So you say it's a decent guitar out of the box in overall, or does it need just much more modding to say it is? In sight looks OK to me, even the headstock shape is quite cool. Does it come mabye in different color than green? At first glance (and even at second) it looks like a rebranded Agile btw:D...

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I mean the 2018 version comes with Locking tuners as stock which was the main thing that needed swapping out on my 2017 one.
    pickups are only useable if you have something like an Axe or Kemper with lots of tweaking available. You run this into a normal tube amp and you will hate the stock pickups, so thats a replacement that would be needed.

It feels and plays brilliantly and is well worth the money.
    Also, yeah seems like an Agile to me aswell. This 8 string is very weighty and sturdy. Has 2 truss rods so the neck is solid.

4. Isx

Isx SS.org Regular

Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock pickups on the 2017 model? Thinking about switching them out to actives and can’t find my calipers.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

any 8 string soapbar will fit. They are not "9string" sized pickups.
    If thats any help?

Isx likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the issue though is the cavities are tiny so require some meticulous planning to get a 9volt battery to fit.

7. Isx

Isx SS.org Regular

Thanks for the heads up I was thinking about Fitting a pair of EMG808X in there eventually.

lewis likes this.
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Is..is there a gap, against the neck on the bass side, to see light through?

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

there does appear to be one on this dudes particular one sadly.
    My 2 do not have this. (granted one is the neck through 8 string). I would have asked for a replacement if that were mine.

10. BigHandy

BigHandy SS.org Regular

Arthur McCay likes this.
  11. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Picked up a R458BK Fanfret (the cheaper bolt on model) just to give me something to play while I shop around for a higher end 8 string.

Guitar was listed as "Available Immediately" from before, during and the entire time after I placed my order. Yet, it took 2 weeks before it shipped out. I'd emailed them half way through the 2nd week and it took 3 emails to 3 different departments on three different days before I got a generic response. Was actually coming close to just cancelling my order but the price went up during that time and they hadn't actually charged me yet so I waited it out.

Actual transit time to Canada was very fast. However my guitar arrived damaged.

This is literally how the guitar was packaged when I opened the box: https://i.imgur.com/6yMLUhg.jpg

TBH, I don't even. Who packed that box and thought that was a good idea? Whatever happened during shipping had the headstock punch a clean hole right through the foam wrap, guitar box, and put a pretty big dent into the shipping box. (I guess you could say the crack tried to fix itself because there's a substantial amount of cardboard lodged in it.)

The good news is the damage is a ~1" crack on the tip of the headstock that propagates away from any tuners. I'm calling it cosmetic as everything else looks, sets up and plays fine.

I contacted Thomann with pictures to which they replied asking for pictures. So I took more and sent both sets to them and am still awaiting a reply. I asked for a partial refund as the guitar works, i'd rather keep it than go through the hassle of sending it back and waiting how long for another one to ship out. I also don't know how customs works in that case, I did have to pay a fee upon arrival I know I won't get that money back but I don't know if i'll have to pay again if I get a replacement.

Anywho, this guitar falls under the category of you get what you pay for. I can't describe anything as good, but also can't describe anything as bad. Definitely feels like with a little bit of work can be a very fun guitar but haven't been able to do anything with it since I'm waiting to see what's up from Thomann.

Neck is pretty chunky, I've suffered from a lifelong RSI and this neck isn't helping in the slightest. Neck finish is uneven but acceptable. Nut is a little sharp on the treble side just needs to be rounded off a tad to stop it from eating into my finger. You can feel the fret ends everywhere but it's also not eating away at my fingers. Fret surface is very, very rough. I don't know how to describe it but with the beefiness of the neck and the roughness of the frets it's like i'm putting in work dragging a hacksaw across a 2x4. Most noticeable on the treble side but the more I play the smoother it gets so maybe a very light sand or steel wool would clean it up. Very neck heavy with the thickness of the neck but the body is surprisingly thin and light. It has pickups, they work. 3 way selector switch feels mushy. This guitar reminds me a lot of the Washburn WG series.

TL;DR: Mine came damaged. Also needs a little work. Worth every penny, where else you gonna get a multiscale 8 string from a reputable retailer and brand shipped to your door for less than $300.

Zhysick and lewis like this.
  12. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Very interested in how it end up. I've been thinking in buying that guitar as well as the r456fr just for fun as I am enjoying a lot my ff7 deluxe (waiting for a Jeff Loomis blackout bridge right now). So, the neck really is a D ahaped neck... 2x4 style? Because the c shaped from the deluxe model is pretty much a D shape for me... if the cheap r458 is a strong D shape might be an absolute no-no for me...

Hope everything ends well for you. Cheers!! A few pics won't hurt!! ;-)

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

not guna lie, the much cheaper 458BK, looks complete trash to me. That looks TOO cheap so unsurprising its garbage.

14. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Yes, it looks very cheap but as I have a love/hate relationship with 8 string guitars I wouldn't mind trying with the cheaper one if it is playable. A pair of 808s or some dimarzios PAF8 (normally those are the sets that are easier to find dirty cheap around here) and ready to go. I don't mind doing a bit of working in a cheap guitar or even investing a pro fret dressing and levelling if it is good enough (like the deluxe model) but if it is a 2x4 neck... no way.

lewis likes this.
  15. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Since I opened a ticket their responses have been much more consistent and faster. Originally I'd asked what the discount amount would be and they said since the damage was "very big" it would be a high discount at the cost of losing my warranty.

Despite everything about the guitar being passable at best I was still excited to riff around on an 8 and had lots of nitpicks I was going to do to my brand new 'beater'. But the whole experience has soured me on the whole thing and i'm instead making a transport claim and seeing if I can just return it for my money back instead of a replacement. Waiting on a reply from them to see if that's an option.

For a $300 guitar that plays like a $300 guitar I think i'll put that money towards something in the $1000 range. Not ruling out just buying the better version though.

I'll be sure to take tons of pics before I send it back so you guys have an idea of what that model is like.

Zhysick and lewis like this.
  16. BigHandy

BigHandy SS.org Regular

What does "2x4 neck" mean? I guess it's have to do something with how the wood been fabricated?

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

no I think he means that because the neck profile is thick to him, or uncomfy to him he means it feels like this -

[​IMG]

I personally have no issue with the necks on either the 8 or the 6. But then I dont get bogged down in all this. I just pick up a guitar and play it.

18. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Yes. 2x4 is how you exaggeratedly refer to a D shaped neck with excessively pronounced "shoulders". I hate that kind of necks.

Lewis, remember the Deluxe models (the ones we have) are C shape (and I am happy with that) but the cheaper ones (R45*) are D shaped and so my concerns

lewis likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ouch!. I did not know that.
    yeah that would give my hand bad cramp!.

20. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Here a video of the harley benton FF 7. Tone is not the best ...but well, just to see how it looks like.