New Harley Benton FanFret-8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Van Portogal, Oct 10, 2016.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

haven't tried the harley benton but I prefer any newer schecter 8 strings to the RG8. The neck isn't quite as flat as the RG8 (a little bit more d shaped but not terribly so) and from my experience the 500$+ schecters are quite nice. I would take a schecter over an RG8 any day as they seem to have better fit and finish, plus they have 28" scale lengths. The RG8's stock pickups are atrocious imo, though some of the schecters in the same range come with EMGs or passives (and not in a weird soapbar route like some of the earlier RG8s where they basically used bass pickups). If you can, I'd say look for a damien elite or one of their higher priced 8 strings used. I got my Avenger 8 for less than half of what they cost new and it more than holds its own with my other 8 strings.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah exactly. The materials are well suited to low tunings.
    and using thicker strings will be no problem due to having 2 truss rods.............

BUT the stock pickups will be garbage unless running through something like an axe fx or kemper that has lots of tweaking options.

if not and you are using amp heads and cabs, you will need new pickups too (and lockers unless you are buying the 2018 version wich has them)

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

1) a big plus!!!
    2) true!!! damn cort 5 string BASS pickups

4. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Thats a shame, those slanted pickups are not the easiest to replace, maybe its possible to mod regular pickups and make them slanted. Should not be impossible i guess.

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah its exactly why i bought the 2017 models instead. They just have active mount and thats so much easier to swap out than dicking around trying to obtain slanted open coil passive mount. The 2018 models look better and have locking tuners but the pickups was a deal breaker for me due to lack of choice with slanted.

Maybe HB knew that and made this change to force people to have to use their own brand pickups etc

Zhysick likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

depending on how motivated you are, you could take apart the benton slanted pickups, and use the same angled baseplate with aftermarket pickups, or get a builder to make custom pickups for the guitar.

lewis likes this.
  7. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Yeah, i guess you have to use 9-string pickups and they arent cheap :p Damn, this new natural/black burst looks really good :O https://www.thomann.de/se/harley_benton_fanfret_8nt_qbb_2018_dlx.htm Maybe I'll just accept the pickups or get some custom slanted ones down the road.

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Funny you say that as that was my assumption however i measured and both my 6 and 8 string fan fret only need 6 a d 8 string active mount pickups respectively haha so thats handy

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Also there was some real pics of that go up in the 7 and 8 string guitar page on fb. The pics on the site dont do it justice. Looks beautiful for real.
    EDIT:
    -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Arthur McCay likes this.
  10. Arthur McCay

Arthur McCay SS.org Regular

oh boy... I googled my fingers off up to elbows trying to find some real photos of this thing and never even though to look on facebook! I ordered it a couple weeks ago and then read that the finish doesn't quite look like what HB show on their website and got worried. Phew. Thanks to you I can finally get some sleep!

lewis likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha you are welcome dude.

p.s their 2018 version of the mono rail bridge/saddles this year are loads better than last year

Arthur McCay likes this.
  12. Arthur McCay

I noticed different saddles on their newest pinkish 7string and then looked at the brown BBB and saw the old ones on the official photos. That sucks I thought to myself and even started googling replacement options. So glad to see HB put new saddles on this model as well! You officially made my day, sir.

lewis likes this.
  13. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Oh my bad, I know the Ibanez RG8IHM that i won a while ago but didnt receive have 9-string pickups. Looks great, do u have any pics ofthe new green version? It doesnt look as good as the 2017 version on the thomann website imo.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my personal one from 2017 -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arthur McCay likes this.
  15. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Doesn't look too bad! I like the blueish green color more on the 2017, but the green color on the 2018 version looks a bit more unique and interesting than the black burst version.

lewis likes this.
  16. Arthur McCay

So I contacted the Fokin guy. Since I just received my HB 7string fan fret, I thought I'd get some Fokin pups. A 7 string pup with 10 degrees angle (just like on those HB axes) will go for around $80. Not sure if they ship to the US, but still. Thought you and other folks out there would want to know.

bostjan and lewis like this.
  17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Thanks for that Fokin information! :lol:

lewis and Arthur McCay like this.
  18. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I wish Rondo and Tholmann would actually spend time on their headstock logos. The guitars look bad ass but man that stock microsoft cursive font looks horrible.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Just find some cool sticker to cover it.
    Its what im guna do.

20. Icedfirefly

Icedfirefly SS.org Regular