New guitars that you can't play

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by big_aug, Jul 4, 2016.

1. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Anyone ever get a bad ass new guitar that you can't play for whatever reason? Talk about frustrating. I had to post to get it out:wallbash:

So I had very serious abdominal and intestinal surgery on 06/23. I got out of the hospital Saturday. Everything went well and recovery is happening.

I ended up trading my Ken Lawrence for a nice chunk of change and this: Suhr Modern Carved Top Koa | mattsmusic.com

It arrived when I was still in the hospital and was waiting for me when I came home. It's soooooo much more stunning in person. That's awesome right?

I can't freaking play though because I'm not allowed to pick up anything more than about a bottle of water. It is driving me insane to sit and look at this gorgeous guitar and not be able to do anything with it.

I'll post a proper NGD to show some great pics once I'm allowed to move it :lol:

P.S. Does anyone have a link to a good setup guide for the Gotoh 510? I've never owned a guitar with anything other than a hard tail or a floyd.

2. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

I have never found in that situation myself, but i have a co-worker who bought a original 1963 SG junior from a seller in the States (we are in Korea) and he was scared of transport so the guitar was sent to a friend of his in Texas. He was supposed to go pick it up during a work travel to Houston, but the trip was postponed, and now its 4 months later and his guitar has been sitting in its case ever since and he has no idea when he's going. Pretty lame situation.

and to OP, i hope your recovery goes perfect and you feel better soon so you can start shredding on that beauty ASAP. :)

3. SlipknotKoRnfan

SlipknotKoRnfan Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.

Back when I got my K-7, the day I brought it home, literally right as I got it in the house I went to put something away in my bag before I would open the guitar case.When I reached in, fate would have it that the cap on my shaving razor fell off and I sliced the tip of my left (fretting) middle finger and was bleeding all over the place. I had to wait at least 4 days before I could properly play the thing!

4. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Had a brand new Mid Level RG at home that i bought while in Hospital after stomach surgery,ready to play when I got out but I couldnt get comfortable sitting to play so that really didnt get used for about 2 months. That was a bad 2 months

5. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Regarding that bridge- if you can set up a Floyd then you can work any regular modern fulcrum tremolo. It's the same principle, but less fiddly.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The morning after I got my Daemoness I crushed my fretting hand fingers in work and couldn't play for about 3-4 weeks.

7. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Noooooo:flame:

8. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

Definitely. I have problems with heavy guitars ever since I had abdominal surgery for cancer in 2009. I never really recovered from it so I have to play light guitars (this is the reason why my 1.8kg strandberg is my main babe right now).

Also suffering from RSI in my shoulders, back and wrists, so I struggle with just about every conventional guitar neck out there. The endurneck profile just about does it for me though.

This ended up sounding like a shameless plug for .strandberg*, but it's just how it is. :eek:

TL;DR heavy guitars, guitars with long scale lengths, guitars with thin necks/anything but a baseball bat thickness neck.

9. DownTuner

DownTuner SS.org Regular

This thread made me wear chainmail gloves, full body armor and I swear I'll never leave the house again, ever.

10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Just got My ESP RZK the day I was leaving to go snowboarding.

Came home with a broken collarbone and shoulder. Had to just look at the thing for 6 weeks.

11. theicon2125

theicon2125 SS.org Regular

You guys are freaking me out. I have a PRS Holcomb SE ordered and am going to Chicago for a 3 day concert next weekend. Not only does the guitar have a pretty good chance of arriving while I'm gone (thankfully my boss doesn't mind me having stuff shipped to the office) but you guys have me worried about getting injured at the show. :erk: :ugh:

12. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

That's brutal man. At least mine will only be two weeks (hopefully) more.

13. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

All guitars :( Or at least most. :(

I have an allergy to Nickel. :(

I know there are ways around it, but it is all a hassle.

14. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I feel you.

My cousin suffers the same.
    His poor fingers look like leprosy when he plays too much.

Stainless steel frets and coated strings help... a little.

15. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

I punched a box. The center of it gave, but the side that my pinky was headed towards did not. Jammed my pinky so hard that it fractured a bone in my hand towards my wrist. My new JBM 27 had just gotten Bare Knuckle Blackhawks installed.

Mine wasn't so bad, I at least got a solid 30 minutes of play in before the incident... and it was ENTIRELY my fault. Don't widely punch things, it's not worth it.

16. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

I meet with my doctor on the 18th and hopefully will be cleared then to lift small amounts so I can play again. I'll have my custom build being delivered shortly as well so I'll have two brand new guitars to keep busy with lol

17. Force

Force Jackson Addict

It's a turd of a situation for sure, hope you get better rapidly.

4 years ago I was on a break before starting my new job. I ordered a Charvel Star that did arrive in time but amongst other crap that went on, I ended up with the worst case on the flu ever. The guitar arrived on day 2 of it & I was out cold for 6 days, not eating or anything for that long nearly put me in hospital.

After that week I couldn't even look at the guitar coz it made me feel more sick, the trans black has a greenish tinge to it & I reminded me of all the filth my body was trying to get rid of.

Needless to say, I've been loving this beauty for a long time now but it took a month to pick it up. I knew it was awesome so my NGD thread reflected that but bonding took a while.

18. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

I shattered my left wrist the day before my Splawn Nitro arrived. Chugging on open, drop A power chords for 6 weeks get really old.

19. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

Just had ACL reconstruction surgery on my right knee the day after my uncle let me borrow his Charvel desolation single cut and I really want to play it but until I can bend my knee without so much discomfort I can't play sitting down and obviously I won't be able to pay standing up for a couple of weeks