New fanatic attack in Barcelona. 13 killed and 100 injured

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by chopeth, Aug 18, 2017.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Just one question. Why the media says in every attack it's a "terrorist" one while the last one in Virginia is only a matter of racial tension, fanatism and violence according to the president? I find similarities between the white supremacism and nazism. Why is everybody concerned about the salafist or whatever radical islam fanatic rise while nobody looks worried about the nazi revival?

Sad, very sad. First summer in a long time I don't spend my holidays in this beautiful city. I'm sick of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...van-driven-into-crowd-in-las-ramblas-district

2. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I didn't get that as well. If people drive cars into groups of people on purpose, we have a word for that, and the word is "terrorism". Doesn't matter who drives the car and who he crashes into.
    As for the events in Barcelona... don't get me wrong, it is a horrible, despicable crime and I'm sorry for all those who lost loved one or got injured themselves. What pisses me off most though is that the far right rejoices and is quick to tell everyone "See, the evil muslims! Told you they're gonna kill us all if we don't get rid of them!" If we just look at the numbers alone... the statistics that I find tell me about 300 people get murdered every year in Spain, 3,000 die in traffic and about 90,000 die of smoking. It's WAY more likely to be crushed by some idiot looking at his smartphone while driving than by a terrorist. Reducing the victims of tobacco by 1% will keep more people alive each year than reducing the victims of terror by 100% will in 40 years, in theory. Yes, terror is rather random, and it's on purpose, but honestly to me, dead is dead. If I die, the reason is probably gonna be heart problems or cancer. Or an accident at work or in traffic, which is a lot less likely. Suicide is more likely. Killed by lightning is still about thrice more likely than killed by terrorism. And yet everyone is going around making people scared. Scared of arab looking people, scared to go to public places, scared to go to concerts, protest marches etc. Dying from terrorism, in any western european country, or the USA, is about as likely as a new Necrophagist album this year.

setsuna7 likes this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I love that something happened in Barcelona and instead we're arguing about America. "YEAH, BUT SPACED OUT ACE WHAT ABOUT AMERICA!?" Some people lost their lives, and it sucks, period. I don't care where it is. Everything about Charlottesville was cringy as fuck, and everything about this is just as cringy. It would be real great if we could go one day without someone doing some insane antisocial bs like driving cars into groups of people or other incredibly stupid stuff.

4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

It's terrorism here, too. Trump is just too bigoted and/or owes too much to his white supremacists supporters to call it what it is.

They're just trying to distract you while they take away your rights and freedoms. It's easier for them if they can go unnoticed.

5. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

What attacks are you refering to? The ones who attacked the driver by smashing baseball bats and homemade grenades full of piss and shit and other flammables i hope? Those provoking attacks that if you were in the car, youd panic and step on the pedal too?

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

No, just the one the media has been hyping up to create dissent.