Neumann U87 for guitar cab close mic???

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Wizard of Ozz, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

An elegant approach from a more civilized age, if you will. :yesway:

Yeah, KA's band rules. I'll be checking out those clips later tonight, for sure.

2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Thanks man :)

Re-launching under a new name in the next month or so.

When this particular single launches we'll probably also do a mix competition of it.

This is why you're both my favourite, and will be getting the full album months before it's released ;)

billinder33 likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

....even though I failed to check it out last night? :lol: It'll probably be a few days before I can, I'm in for shoulder surgery tomorrow and will be pretty drugged up for a while after that. I definitely want to hear this though, only partly to hear what a U87 can do on guitar.

4. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Yasssss. Definitely keep us posted.

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Thanks for posting this... very helpful. You can really hear the mid-boost provided from the U87 in the raw mix.

I got to try out the U87 myself today... and it does sound pretty different than a SM57 or any dynamic for that matter. I think I have to play around more with mic position as right up close, just off axis of the center wasn't really rocking my world. Maybe I need to track down a SM7 to run together with it. Really mid-mid to upper-mid focused... not a lot of lows come thru.

Your clips also confirmed my dislike of the Royer 121 by itself... I always hear it as too dark, distant, thick, and sludgy sounding.

Great stuff. Thanks.

BTW: What is your favorite 2 mic combo for guitars?

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Finally getting a chance to listen to this - in my defense, for most of the last week and a half I've been trying to do everything with one hand, at work, or both. :lol:

First, the guitars - the combined tracks actually sound surprisingly low gain, which I suppose is mostly the doing of the 5153...? Anyway, the differences are pretty interesting here. I've never gotten to listen to a Royer in isolation (and I keep toying with the idea of grabbing one, but I've heard some pretty killer clips done with a Voodoo VR1 that may be my next mic pickup), and while it's got a fairly thick low end, it's more scooped than I would have expected. cxould be how you've dialed the Recto, though, there's a lot of hair in the high end on both that and the SM57 tone. The SM57 is still one of my favorite guitar mics - it objectively sounds like shit, solo'd, but you can just hear that its hitting everywere you want a guitar in a mix, and with bass and drums its gonna come to life.

The U87 was a surprise - it's like a giant midrange curve, the difference between the SM57 and that (between the mics, position, and amp settings), is like a djent "Eazy Button," or rather would be with a djentier riff. I actually don't much like it on its own, but would be curious playing around with one for leads.

Second, the song - this kills, man. You and I go for very different guitar sounds, but I love the melody, the overall vibe, and what of the arrangement I can hear here. Can't wait to hear this finished. :metal:

KingAenarion likes this.