Neumann U87 for guitar cab close mic???

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Wizard of Ozz, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

An elegant approach from a more civilized age, if you will. :yesway:

Yeah, KA's band rules. I'll be checking out those clips later tonight, for sure.

2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Thanks man :)

Re-launching under a new name in the next month or so.

When this particular single launches we'll probably also do a mix competition of it.

This is why you're both my favourite, and will be getting the full album months before it's released ;)

billinder33 likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

....even though I failed to check it out last night? :lol: It'll probably be a few days before I can, I'm in for shoulder surgery tomorrow and will be pretty drugged up for a while after that. I definitely want to hear this though, only partly to hear what a U87 can do on guitar.

4. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Yasssss. Definitely keep us posted.

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Thanks for posting this... very helpful. You can really hear the mid-boost provided from the U87 in the raw mix.

I got to try out the U87 myself today... and it does sound pretty different than a SM57 or any dynamic for that matter. I think I have to play around more with mic position as right up close, just off axis of the center wasn't really rocking my world. Maybe I need to track down a SM7 to run together with it. Really mid-mid to upper-mid focused... not a lot of lows come thru.

Your clips also confirmed my dislike of the Royer 121 by itself... I always hear it as too dark, distant, thick, and sludgy sounding.

Great stuff. Thanks.

BTW: What is your favorite 2 mic combo for guitars?

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Finally getting a chance to listen to this - in my defense, for most of the last week and a half I've been trying to do everything with one hand, at work, or both. :lol:

First, the guitars - the combined tracks actually sound surprisingly low gain, which I suppose is mostly the doing of the 5153...? Anyway, the differences are pretty interesting here. I've never gotten to listen to a Royer in isolation (and I keep toying with the idea of grabbing one, but I've heard some pretty killer clips done with a Voodoo VR1 that may be my next mic pickup), and while it's got a fairly thick low end, it's more scooped than I would have expected. cxould be how you've dialed the Recto, though, there's a lot of hair in the high end on both that and the SM57 tone. The SM57 is still one of my favorite guitar mics - it objectively sounds like shit, solo'd, but you can just hear that its hitting everywere you want a guitar in a mix, and with bass and drums its gonna come to life.

The U87 was a surprise - it's like a giant midrange curve, the difference between the SM57 and that (between the mics, position, and amp settings), is like a djent "Eazy Button," or rather would be with a djentier riff. I actually don't much like it on its own, but would be curious playing around with one for leads.

Second, the song - this kills, man. You and I go for very different guitar sounds, but I love the melody, the overall vibe, and what of the arrangement I can hear here. Can't wait to hear this finished. :metal:

KingAenarion likes this.
  7. neotronic

neotronic SS.org Regular

Wow the song - I'm speechless. Sooooo good.

KingAenarion likes this.
  8. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Don't know if you've been this video or not, but Choptones does 11 different mics on a Purple Nightmare and Hesu Demon setup. The 87 is in there.

My Top 5 out of those are:

AT2035
    RE20
    SM7

And good fucking god do I hate the SM57... So sick of that damn thing.

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

It doesn't sound great on its own, but it can work well in a mix.

10. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

This is like the CARDINAL rule of mixing. Whatever serves the mix best. Like hell, I've known guys who the right sound for the vocal they were looking for came from a D112, or one dude got the sound from a Macbook inbuilt. I've seen Marshall MG combos do the right tone for the song.

Like the SM57 is awfully harsh, but fuck me dead if it doesn't help the midrange and the important harmonics of distorted guitar cut through a mix like butter.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This, so much. I HATED the SM57 for years, thought it was harsh, unappealingly gritty, thin, and kind of filtered sounding. I kept trying to find different alternatives (which, considering I was in college at the time and therefore broke, was tough), but finally came to terms with the fact that while i didn't love how my guitar tracks sounded solo'd, when I double-tracked them, panned them, and put them in a mix, and then single-tracked a lead mixed down the center with some light delay, all the things I hated about the SM57 alone were things that were very, very effective with a bass guitar below and a wash of cymbals above. It captures pretty much everything you want from a guitar, and pretty much nothing that you don't, and more classic guitar recordings have been done with this mic than virtually any other for that reason.

I still don't love how position sensitive they are, but whatever. :lol:

Kyle Jordan likes this.