Need help with wiring EMG's

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sgsummers, Apr 15, 2013.

1. sgsummers

sgsummers SS.org Regular

Hello all,

I just installed an emg 81 and 85 into my 2008 hellraiser C1. I bought a 5 way switch to go along with it but I am unsure about how to connect the 5 way switch. Any help? Or an easy to read diagram? These are the quick connect set as well.

EDIT: just figured out that I cant use a 5 way toggle switch I guess? Im new at this... lol Anyway does anyone know if guitar center sell EMG solderless 3 way toggle switches in store? I would hate to have to order one and wait another week.

EDIT #2: So , it seems I can use a 5 way with with 2 EMG's and positions 2 and 4 will be dead. I am fine with this. Is there a diagram I can use for this?

2. Krigsmjod

Krigsmjod Luddite

Are you using solderless pots and all the new fancy EMG stuff?

3. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

4. sgsummers

sgsummers SS.org Regular

Yep the quick connect is the new fancy solderless stuff. Pretty awesome. I have the wiring diagrams that it came with. It came with some great instructions. And thank you for linking me to the wiring guides but I dont know what to search for. I dont see anything that shows how to wire a 5 way switch as a 3 way switch... with having positions two and four as dead spots. Probably an uncommon request.

And I have everything installed except for the toggle switch and battery. Battery is easy but Im going to wire it differently since I like my old battery box. The new stuff didnt have a battery box just a connect for a battery so I am going to link the wires with caps. So I am just stuck on this toggle switch issue.

5. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

you can use the 5 way, you just have to solder to the switch and then use the clamps on the end of the buss board that came with the EMGs.

I'd personally wire them as bridge and middle position, that should give you bridge, bridge & neck, neck, neck, kill. Running 2 and 4 dead wouldn't work because 1 and 3 both run into 2 and 3 and 5 both run into 4. Even trying it would give you only bridge or only neck.

[​IMG]

6. sgsummers

sgsummers SS.org Regular

awesome diagram but Im still kinda lost on how I would do this with the wires.

7. Murch

Murch SS.org Regular

Is the switch solderless? I'll try to draft up a diagram for you that uses the 2 and 4 in some way. If the switch isn't solderless, you're going to need to do some extra work with the solderless kit. Also, If you're willing to install extra switches, I can make every position different in some way.

8. sgsummers

sgsummers SS.org Regular

yep everything is solderless. I could get a 3 way solderless switch just to make things easier but I dont know if I can get one on short notice and I was hoping to have this all done by thursday. Anyone know if guitar center sells these 3 way emg solderless switches in store? I wouldn't be able to check til tomorrow evening since I work overnights. I would hate to order since it would take so long. A diagram for the 5 would would be incredible if you have the time!

9. Murch

Murch SS.org Regular

Ok, I can't find a decent wiring base for the 5 way solderless switch, so I'll try to just describe it. There are two ways of going about it, depending on how comfortable you are with soldering it.

1. Send it only through the neck and middle spots. Wire as normal from there. Positions 1-3 will work like a standard 3 way switch, position 4 will be the same as 3 assuming it works like a standard switch, and position 5 will be silent, if you want to do some buckethead killswitch stuff.

2. Wired like above, with some changes to the send/return area. Basically, take the send from the neck pickup, and send it to both the neck and bridge area, as the actual bridge pickup is going to the mid area. for the send to the bridge, you can throw something else in such as a phase inverter (You need an active one for EMGs, they make one, or you can build one yourself using this link.). If you feel less daring, add a resistor or capacitor or something to add a brighter or darker tone respectively. If this is done right, it should switch like this:
    1-3 - standard switching
    4 - Bridge + modified neck signal
    5 - modified neck signal alone

If you need any additional information let me know.

10. sgsummers

sgsummers SS.org Regular

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

The resister thing is pretty cool! I never knew you could change the tone by doing that.

11. Fromeasttowes

Fromeasttowes SS.org Regular

My emg's came with a new 3-way... What was wrong with the old switch? You can also find switches at electrical supply stores.

12. sgsummers

sgsummers SS.org Regular

I have a couple electrical problems and one is a short that neither I or a tech have been able to find. So, I'm doing an entire electrical overhaul.

13. Krigsmjod

Krigsmjod Luddite

If you're putting EMG's into a guitar that had passives be sure to clip the string ground wire. Not sure what came in that generation of Schecter.

14. sgsummers

sgsummers SS.org Regular

Thanks guys. All in good working order. I actually just ended up buying a 3 way and soldering it to the solderless emg set. Works awesome and sounds better than I remember! Of course I had Emg 81Tw and 89TW before and now I just have the 81 and 85. But now its deeper, brighter, heavier, and clearer than it was with the TW's.