NBGD: Regius 7 Baritone

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by teqnick, Jan 2, 2018.

1. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

My quest to own a Mayones has come to an end at last. Although i'm more of a six string player at the moment, this is literally my dream 7 spec wise, and happened be my absolute favorite factory finish to exist.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finish, faded black jeans, is stunning with natural light, and definitely has traces of olive in it. The 27" scale took maybe an hour or two to really adjust to with my girlish hands, but the trade off in the upper registers suits me well. Being only the second Mayones i've played, what's consistent is the level of craftsmanship and detail. It's the least instrument-like guitar i've owned, but not in a bad way. Akin to the burl regius I played, it feels like a museum piece. This example has the 11 piece neck with Mahogany wings, and it's as heavy as my les Paul custom of the past. The neck profile is thicker than jp7's and wizard series', but with no compromise to comfort. It feels like a soft "D" shape, with a nice little shoulder. TONE is MAMMOTH with this bad boy. It's a real focused wall of sound , but just a tad dark for my tastes. The nazgul/sentient work extremely well, very full sound from the bridge, with a roll off in the upper mids. Split coil tones are phenomenal, and rolling back on the volume still provides incredible response to picking dynamics. While these are the first Duncans i've enjoyed, I need a tad more clarity & aggression, so suggestions are welcome there. I thought for a second maybe, that Mayones was a hypemachine, as ~$2500 JPxx models were plenty good, but the Regius is a cut above. Its over all feel is defined by the word solid. Thanks, Poland.

2. NickS

NickS Carvinite

HNGD!! I have yet to actually even play a Mayones, but I would take a blind chance on that one in a heartbeat. Nice score:agreed:

3. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

stunning indeed

HNGD

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Beautiful! I definitely want to try a Mayones eventually. I wish there was an easier way besides just straight buying one. It's too big of an investment for me without being able to play one.

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

gorgeous!

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

congrats!
    if you want to stay in the duncan camp, the alpha/omega set is pretty clear and aggressive. If not, maybe try the guitarmory alnico 8 scud or bkp black dog. Both of those do really well in baritones/ERGs ime, and have great clarity/aggressive snarling voicings (the omega does as well, but all of them have different takes on that snarly voice).

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Looks awesome, btw what kind of bridge is on that??

Also I totally get what you mean about Mayones not feeling like an instrument, I have a lowly Duvell and even that feels like an artifact more than an instrument. Cant imagine how amazing the Regius would be.

8. teqnick

I have actually been strongly considering the black dog. My only fear is that it doesnt track bass as precisely as I'd like. I'm also considering the Ragnarok on the extreme end of things.

I believe it's just the standard ABM that comes on most fixed Regius models. No discredit to the Duvell, those look amazing also. If work is good to me, a Duvell 6 will follow suit.

9. KnightBrolaire

Black dog is tight enough for a lot of genres imo, unless you play tech death or something where you need super tight bass response/tracking. I can't comment on the ragnaroks yet since mine aren't working properly.

teqnick likes this.
  10. teqnick

That's a shame about your ragnaroks, from what i've heard/seen so far, they are massive. The black dogs may fit the bill , as my playstyle doesn't really include super technical riffs. I like wide open, big chords , and punchy percussive chugs. Thanks for your help!

11. KnightBrolaire

black dogs aren't super percussive like the aftermath or painkillers, but they're way better than either of those for playing big extended chords ime. they can definitely get punchier chugs with a boost.

teqnick likes this.
  12. teqnick

Sounds good, thanks. Been more help than the contact i've had with BKP recently.

13. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

HNGD,

Only slight issue in my Regius 7 (apart from missing out on a Schaller Hannes bridge) is the short scale. I wouldn't want to lower than Drop A on it really.

14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

"Lower than drop A" is so high. Drop Z is where it's at.

teqnick likes this.
  15. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Witchcraft and Occult Riffs

Congrats man

16. teqnick

What string gauge are you using? Do you just prefer super high string tension? I wish i had a Hannes as well

17. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Use 10-60 atm for Drop A, but could want something a little heavier on the lowest string. Already find that there isn't any more room to adjust the bridge on the lowest string.