NBD - Marcus Miller V7 Vintage

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Sogradde, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Whaddup!

I needed a bass for home recording. I used to have my bass player's backup at home but he insits on using colored Elixir strings (which sound horrible btw.) so I threw some cash at Ebay to get my own.

Lo and behold, my potato phone manages to crap out another low quality photo. (I will try to make better pictures soon).
    WhatsApp Image 2018-07-04 at 07.48.12.jpeg

So, for German standards I got this for dirt cheap. As such, there is hardly anything to complain about.
    First of all, it came with heavier strings than I feared. The owner but some .120s on it. Still too loose for drop B but better than factory strings. Also it looks like he saved me the trouble of carving the nut.

The good:
    - It's not too heavy
    - Lots of tonal options
    - Quality is pretty decent and it feels sturdy, especially for the price (apart from a large chip in the finish but it was declared B-stock so.. eh)
    - Sounds pretty good

The bad:
    - Ironically the fret ends on the bass side are really smooth, those on the treble side not so much. Not to the point where you can hurt yourself but just so much you notice it. Not a big deal for me but if it gets worse due to wood shrinking or something, I will have to get it fixed/fix it myself.
    - The controls are pretty crammed up. I'm glad I use this in the studio because if I had to use this in a live situation, I'd probably screw up alot.

The wtf:
    - Medium frets are a new one for me. Takes a little to get used to it but I get along pretty well now
    - The side dots are the most useless I've ever seen on an instrument. @diagrammatiks would have a field day with this:
    wtf sidedots.jpg

Just look at them! Look at them and laugh!

That aside, I'm pretty happy with it. I recorded a short comparison of the passive vs the active circuit. In the mix, solo and pure DI.

Passive
    Active
    DI

I can only recommend these if you need something semi-serious.

nedheftyfunk and gienek like this.
  2. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

That’s actually a normal way of doing side dots. Pretty common on more “traditional” electric guitars and basses IME. I get what you’re saying about the functionality, though.

It’s a sharp looking bass. Congrats!

Randy and Sogradde like this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Who else puts white dots half on light colored wood and half in the black binding?

Sogradde likes this.
  4. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Oh snap. Totally forgot it was a bound maple board after staring at the dots trying to figure out what was wrong. Kind of looked like a dark wood in the pic. I’ve got nothing. :lol:

I have seen the dots between maple necks and unbound fingerboards plenty of times, but definitely not halfway into binding!

Sogradde likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, I've seen some cheaper basses where they missed the board too. :lol:

Sogradde likes this.
  6. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

All jokes aside, it seems to be intended. That's what they look like on all the pictures.
    I wouldn't even mind if it was bigger at least. There is no way I would be able to find those markers live with stage light reflecting off the binding (one of the reasons why dark dots on bright background are superior to bright dots on dark background).

7. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

Congrats. I've been thinking about one of these for a fretless to mess around with, but can't justify another bass!

Given that you bought this used and now know the quality of these basses, would you recommend buying one of these at full retail price?

Sogradde likes this.
  8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

tahts waht happen when you try to add modern EQ controls on a traditional platform designed for 3 knobs or so.... Aslo dont worry about live situation, bass is not like guitar where you switch back n forth 230425 times ona song. Bass is more like set and forget for the whole song/gig

Sogradde likes this.
  9. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

Oh, man: Side Dot-Gate.

I wonder how the aesthetics of the Parker Fly would have first been received on this site; what with its fret markers being painted-on squares.

Sogradde likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

Considering they were highly visible and properly placed (at least before the USMusicCorp takeover :lol:), I don't think anyone, anywhere really cared.

Sogradde likes this.
  11. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Considering that they are even cheaper in the US than in Germany, absolutely. The number of basses I have played is quite limited; the worst was an EBMM Sterling (super sharp fret ends) and the best was an FGN Neo Classic I borrowed from a friend for our latest single. I'd rate the V7 somewhere at 80% of the FGN. The features are there, it sounds well, and it feels "I can probably bring this to gigs without a hard case" type of sturdy.

I have yet to read something concerning about Sire basses but I only played this one so I can't tell you if this is an exceptionally good or bad model and how they usually deviate from this quality.

Mwoit likes this.
  12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

those side dots look intentional and at least they managed to get all them on the same line.

although...using the actual line. that's smart as hell. can't fuck that up.

Sogradde likes this.