Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by rummy, Sep 10, 2006.
I can't wait for the season to start. GO BULLS!!!
Bulls? Oh, you're from Chi-town. I guess that makes sense.
Me, I'm all about the Pistons. No Big Ben this year, though. We'll see how they do.
Hopefully, another year of seeing bitch-ass Kobe get denied.
[action=The Dark Wolf]can't wait for the season to start, either.[/action]
In Philly, The Answer is the question!
FINALLY, there IS a Sports Forum and an NBA Thread!!! YEAH!!!
Oh yeah? Kobe for MVP and watch out for #24, y'all!
Just kidding. The Lakers ain't any better than the Kings or the Jazz, or even the Warriors. Unless K-Brown and Odom step up big time, it will be another exciting season to see the Lakers racing for the #8 spot!
Bleah. Fuck the Lakers, and fuck Kobe, the sneaky fucker.
Chill out, dude, Kobe only got 3 rings and I promise he isn't getting another one anytime soon, if at all.
Seriously though, as a Lakers' fan I know some of us suck, but there are actually nice ones, like myself! Ha!
As for your Pistons, nice move trading away Darko and thought Ben staying put was a done deal.
Darko was the biggest fucking mistake of Joe D's career.
Ben leaving does suck big-time.
I can't wait for the NBA either. By far my favorite sport. I am a total NBA dork, I could talk about that shit for hours. I know my stuff
Although the Celts and the Pistons had a great rivalry back in the day. I used to love those Bill Laimbeer vs. Kevin McHale battles. And Bll Laimbeer vs. Bird. And Bill Laimbeer vs. Robert Parish. He fucked up your whole team.
Laimbeer vs. Barkley was the best, though.
First order of business for you guys would be the firing of Danny Ainge.
And, Darko's going to be HUGE over at Orlando. Howard on the defense block, and Darko on the offense. They've got their inside game figured out!
I'm a closet fant of the Celtics. Or, the new and young Celtics. I don't know about the new PG, Telfair, as I see him as another Marbury from Coney Island. I prefer D. West. He can shoot, he can slash, and he passes alright, too. ANother kid I'm very impressed with is Gerald Green. He didn't get too many minutes last season, but when he did, he lit it up almost every single time. The Celtics will be a contender in a couple years, imo.
I actually waited a few days, and no one posted it? What kind of NBA thread is this?
I remember not liking Barkley at all as a kid. He was mean, and was rude. I LOVED watching MJ whoop on him.
He was my favorite player, for exactly those reasons.
Haven't really watched NBA for a few years,last team i really followed was the 90's bulls. Scottie Pippen is my all time fav. player.
Hey, everyone, the season starts in less than a week! Let's not stay quiet!
Can't wait. I just got NBA2K7, and I'm all geared up.
Are you insane? Danny Ainge has done one of the best jobs in NBA -history- for what he's had to work with.
1) The team he inherited in 2003 had ONE great player (Pierce), ONE good player (Walker), and then 10-12 complete STIFFs. We're talking about players so bad, none of them are even in the NBA still today. We're talking about barely CBA level talent. Do these names ring a bell? Bruno Sundov. Grant Long. JR Bremer. Eric Williams. VIN BAKER, Ruben Wolkowski, Kedrick Brown, etc. Must I go on? Paul Gaston sold the Celtics and basically the new owners hired someone to fix his mess.
2) He took that team, devoid of any talent whatsoever, and through genius trades and drafting he's built a group with so much talent, they're now trying to do trades just to thin out the roster because they don't have enough playing time for all our young, quality players. Ainge inherited such a bad situation, the team was over the cap, were paying Vin Baker 10 million a year to sit in alcohol rehab, etc. Now theyre teeming with talent and cap flexibility.
3) Back to trades. Via trades and draft picks aquired from those trades, he took those stiffs and turned them that into (really): Wally Sczcerbiak, Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair, Tony Allen, Ryan Gomes, Theo Ratliff, Michael Olowakandi an the Lakers 2007 1st round pick. Those are all players who are actually IN THE NBA NOW.
It should also be noted Ainge traded Jiri Welsch for the Cav's #1 pick which turned out to be Rajon Rondo, the best PG drafted in last year's draft.
4) Some NBA experts are criticial of Ainge now and then, but NO ONE debates his incredible draft record. No one. He hasn't had the luxary of one lottery pick (until last spring). The Celtics get calls constantly from teams looking to trade from their plethora of young rising stars. Christ, they almost landed Iverson for Jefferson and West alone.
Ainge's draft record: Al Jefferson, Delonte West, Tony Allen, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Rajon Rondo, #7 pick (moved for Telfair/Ratliff), etc. Find me another GM who has drafted that many quality players (some of who have star potential - especially Gerald Green, Jefferson and Rondo) in such a short period of time?
5) Has this translated in wins yet? No. The Celtics are the youngest team in the NBA. But they have one of the best cores in the league, and are setup to be contenders for a long time, especially when some major cap room clears up next season and they can go after free agents again. Ainge inherited a team with NO caproom, only able to sign players to the Mid Level Exception, hence questionable signings like Brian Scalabrine - Ainge's one mistake.
So, I really defy anyone to explain how Danny Ainge hasn't done an incredible job with the Celtics, GIVEN WHAT HE HAD TO WORK WITH WHEN HE INHERITED THE TEAM. Honestly, look at the 2002-2003 roster and notice how barely anyone on that team is still even in the NBA. They overachieved in the weak Eastern Conference in 2001, that was a fluke. The team was going nowhere, as evident by 2 straight rapings by the Nets in the playoffs. Ainge saved the franchise with his GENIUS trades/drafting/player development abilities. Not to mention, the team win or lose, is actually SO much fun to watch now. They play an up-tempo offensive game. They dont just sit back and launch lazy 3s all day like they did before Ainge took over.
My Rant is over, just felt I needed to some education. Now you can see why I was the Celtics columnist for my college newspaper
PS: Anyone want to join my Fantasy NBA League (Yahoo)? If so PM me ASAP, the draft is tonight at 10pm EST. NBA 2K7 is cool btw
I will need to buy my game soon... I am leaning toward getting the Live 07 instead.
All in all, this coming season we will see a tough fight for the # 6 thru 8 spots in the west. I can count up to 6 teams fighting for 3 spots. Good for us fans!
Edit: @ Zimbloth, fair enough. Ainge ain't the worst GM, but I think most Celtics fans are running out of patient by now. BTW, not only the Scalabrine signing sucks, trading for Walker for one half season then re-signing an aging Payton didn't do much for the team either. Seriously, remind me who traded away Joe Johnson? Coaching is another question mark I have for Ainge. I mean, while I LOVE what Doc had done in Orlando, I don't think he is the right coach for a young team like the Celtics, and I think his record reflects my view. Let's just hope a kid like Talfair develops quickly too.
Live 07 isnt a very good game. It never is. Its all flash no substance. Its just not a very smooth or realistic NBA simiulation. NBA 2k7 is the ultimate IMO. Better in every facet other than some bells and whistles.