NAD: Ormsby Goliath 6 String - Review and Stuff

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by diagrammatiks, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

You could pay via Paypal and use their Paypal Credit thing to get 6 months to pay it off if they accept that or buy via Reverb if they'll list it there and use their financing options.

It's a bummer that one has those issues, I was looking forward to picking up a used Red/Gold 6 eventually.

2. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

You can’t use PayPal credit on Reverb.

3. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Weird I used it just a few months ago on a purchase, didn't know they changed it.

4. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Guess so. I actually was going to use it on my Goliath and couldn’t. Looked into it and reverb said they don’t accept it.

5. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I think those things would bother me too. The guitar isn't cheap really. It's actually quite expensive compared to other Korean-made guitars.

And the fact remains, those manufacturers make things overseas because they're trying to cut costs. And when you cut costs, you almost always get sloppier work, mistakes, "good enough" QC. QC and fixing issues is really time consuming and expensive, and will destroy their profit margins, so of course some contractor in Asia is going to wave things through that the original manufacturer wouldn't.

Also, not trying to shit on you here, but why do you need multi-scale for Drop C? Let alone such a large scale difference.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

because you can?

allows you to use thinner string gauges and still have better tension on the low strings, which by default results in a better tone.

I have my 7 string in standard B. Love the tension. And I dont feel anything wrong on the E string. If not my upcoming hype would be a 6 string to be kept at E standard. Lots of folks do that. I could have my 25.5" with 10's, or have my multiscale with 9's and better tension on the low strings

At the end of the day it might seem like a overkill, but everyone taste is different

JimF likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Ok sorry I haven't checked back into this thread.
    Dealing with this shit killed my desire to play guitar for a few weeks.

Ok here's tl/dr
    1. Guitar gets returned for having the worst side dots I have ever seen in my life plus a number of other issues.
    2. ormsby cs takes ages after you've given them your money
    3. basically paid 350 dollars to test out a guitar and find out their quality control is a joke.

long version.

So I'm e-emailing them about the problems with this guitar and their responses are just slow. 4-5 days in between emails while I'm just sitting on this thing.
    They initially offer a neck swap which I'm cool with. But then I find out the guitar isn't even wired correctly. Nothing I can't fix. But between the dots, the wiring, and the finish flaws I figure I should get some discount.

So I tell them about the wiring and they just say hey return. Shipping and insurance has to be at your expensive. Now, if I just didn't like the guitar that would be understandable. But there are things wrong with this one. So I email them back and ask for confirmation about the defects saying I would ship it back at my expensive but I wasn't happy about it.

Radio silence.

Ok, I was originally going to ship it the next day but I couldn't find anyone on the mainland to ship it for less then 500 dollars. So I email them and say I need a bit of time to find a carrier and work everything out.

Radio silence.

I finally get a chance to go to hong kong for a business trip and ship the guitar out on august 7th. Email them the tracking number

Radio silence.

The guitar arrives on August 13th. Nothing from them.

I send them an email on the 18th saying hey the guitar arrived. What's going on guys?

Radio Sience

Opened a paypal dispute this morning and got my refund 2 hours later minus the initial cost of shipping to me.

great so I paid ormsby to ship me a flawed guitar.

I guess I could email them and be like wtf but at this point I just don't want to deal with them anymore.

After everything is said and done I'm out 350usd.

I've purchased so many guitars site unseen from forums and reverb in the last 8 years. Never had a problem this annoying.

I definitely will not be buying anything from them in the future.

cwhitey2, Slaeyer, ikarus and 3 others like this.
  8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Whelp. I guess that cures my GAS then.

I play music likes this.
  9. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I still remember how I almost (luckily I didn't in the end) jumped on the bass run YEARS(!!!!!!) ago. I think those basses still have not been made. That kind of killed my GAS for pretty much everything preorder already...but it looks like I'm in the minority here. I see more and more preorder runs and it always surprises me how people throw their money at such risky (and often overpriced) things.
    Now this case shows me that not only should I avoid anything preorder but also anything without a European return policy...

10. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I always imagined Ormsby as a reliable builder, I wasn't aware of his shady business practice.
    I feel the worst part about the entire thing is that the PayPal refund went through immediately, they didn't even contest it or anything. If that's not an admission of guilt I don't know what is.

11. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

There's two sides to a story so I'm going to reserve judgement for now.

FWIW this is the only poor customer service experience I've seen from Ormsby. There have been QC issues with some guitars that Ormbsy have dealt with ranging from new parts to full swaps and/or refunds with both parties being satisfied with the exchange.

I can understand why it would be daunting buying a guitar directly from Australia as it's expensive shipping (heck we have the reverse issue buying stuff from the states). If I were going to purchase an Ormsby from overseas, I'd spend the extra and buy it from a dealer because then if there are any issues, shipping and returns is on the dealer, not you.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

that's not even on ormsby, paypal almost always sides with the buyer in the case of refunds. i've seen a few shady people get called out in the gear exchange and ormsby group that buy something, get delivery of said item and initiate a refund.

13. diagrammatiks

That's true. And I wouldn't have used PayPal disputes if I wasn't annoyed. It was all fine when I had the guitar and they had the money. But, when they have both my money and the guitar for a week without any word, that's no good. Keep in mind that PayPal could only refund the last payment of 614 aud. They could not refund the other payments because those were made over a year ago. They also didn't refund my shipping when they said they would in the original emails.

Here is the full email transcript. I think I got all my personal information covered. Don't dox me. This has all the pictures I linked too and videos I recorded as evidence.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0q3579ab0coquk/Gmail - Goliath Issue.pdf?dl=0

Look at the end of the day the guitar played fine I actually did like it. But it's 1500 dollars and it should have been as good as any other guitar in that price range. I looked around the web. I asked other owners. I compared it to a lot of guitars. Simply the worst side dots.

Now, I didn't really need a full refund. I would have been happy with a neck swap. Or no neck swap and like 15 percent off the cost of the guitar. That's what B-stocks usually sell full.

And, I needed them to just say sorry we goofed instead of implying that I was only returning the guitar because I was unhappy with it.

I would have been extremely happy if they had just said ok swap the neck and we goofed so here's like 45 dollars to cover you.

I'm not vindictive though. All the information is out here. Plenty of their customers are happy with their guitars. If you are in a position where you can see them and return them easily then it's all good. I have 2 kids, a full time job, and I live in a ridiculous country. This is just way too much hassle for me to gamble with.

edit: they still owe me 200 aud.

14. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I know, I made a PayPal dispute once but it took almost two weeks because they gave the seller all the time in the world to answer the dispute. I believe if it went so fast, the seller had to agree right away, didn't he?

Hang on, I might have misunderstood this but you only got the last payment back AND they kept your guitar? How do they only owe you 200 Aud and not 1200.. ?

15. diagrammatiks

no PayPal refunded the last payment then Ormsby refunded the previous 4 payments minus the shipping. sorry for the confusion.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

depends on what kind of evidence the buyer presents. I ordered a tshirt from china (it was a random online store, I didn't know at the time that it was being shipped from china since they don't advertise the fact). It took 6 months for the t-shirt to arrive. I put in a dispute after 1 month because they gave me fake tracking numbers twice, and when I sent the screenshots to paypal they basically refunded me in a day.

17. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Ooh, I see. Still kinda stupid on their end. I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt and assume they mixed up a "refund this" and a "fix this" case but I heard weird stuff about their customer support before. :shrug:

That makes sense.

18. diagrammatiks

I mean I'm confused as to why this is happening, but there's really no confusion. just take a glance at the emails. It's a quick read.

19. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

Very poorly handled by Ormsby. I don't understand why some companies take shortcuts with QC, it's like they take their chances with the guitar not being returned. And what's up with not responding to emails? You should have been a prioritized customer by that point, the first email I can understand, but having to remind them to respond? WEAK.

20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

thesnowdog likes this.