NAD: Ormsby Goliath 6 String - Review and Stuff

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by diagrammatiks, Jun 27, 2018.

1. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I've had my Goliath in my hands for a couple of weeks now. It actually shipped to my place about a month ago but I was away for work. Now that I've spent some time with it I can do a review.

Edit: I dunno why the pictures in thread are so tiny. If you open them in a new tab you can zoom into the full size pictures if you want.

Disclaimer - There are some issues with this guitar. None of them effect the core playability but they are kind of annoying. I'm currently talking with Ormsby about fixing them. More on that near the end of the post.

tl/dr is that this guitar is like 90 percent good and 10 percent qa team wtf are you even doing.

First the guitar

Hey there it is

[​IMG]

It looks really good from about this far away. The finish is really nice. The sparkles aren't as shiny or as complex as my Anderson but it's pretty good. The top coat also doesn't have the wmi disease that a lot of PRS SEs and cheaper guitars out of that factory have. I don't know if they do it by choice...but some of the PRS's feel just wrapped in layers of plastic finish. The color change effect is nice. The ebony board isn't straight black but the wood variation looks good.

Here it is compared to my Strandberg

[​IMG]

The body is actually just a little bit bigger then the Strandberg.

Playability out of the box was decent. They had it set up for 11s in Drop C. The strings were a little high when I got it. I measured the six string at 2.2mm. I lowered it to about 1.6 on the low E to 1.4 on the high E. It resulted in a little bit of fret buzz but no more then any more my other guitars.

Ok let's review the relevant things.

General Playability - Very good. Neck is straight. No sharp fret ends. Frets are level.

Scale Length - This scale is a little weird. It's not bad but the huge fan makes it so that stretches on the first five frets take some getting used too. It's not too bad because I regularly play 28.625 scale guitars. But the fan and the angling make some of the string skipping stretches even wider on this guitar then on my baritones. I would personally never put this scale length in E. I bought this guitar specifically for Drop C. People have put it in E though.

Comfort - Now this going to be down to personal preference and body shape. I don't find this guitar as comfortable as the Strandberg for how I sit. On the Strandberg the horn of the lower bout rests on my upper thigh. On the Goliath the horn kind of digs into my leg. Normal position and standing should be the same though.

Fret Access - This will also have something to do with the size of your hands...Upper fret access on this thing for me is terrible. I have fairly small hands and the way the neck joint is shaped along with the extreme fan means I have no hope of reaching the last frets on the low strings without some massive hand gymnastics. Access is much worse then the strandberg. That being said...it's ok. Those frets are still reachable if necessary.

Tuners and headless hardware - Much much much better then the strandberg tuners. I still have skin on my fingers after tuning. The headpiece looks cheap compared to the individual strandberg pieces though.

Sound - it sounds like a guitar. I got the Katana upgrade in the bridge. It's the hottest pickup they make. It sounds really good. The guitar isn't as tight as my Warpig guitars but who knows why that is. The neck is their hot paf nunchucker. It sounds good but there's a bit of a tone mismatch between the two pickups. I might change this out for another of their pickups as soon as my other issue is resolved.

Value - this guitar is pretty cheap. The cheapest strandberg doesn't have a chambered body or SS frets. A kiesel is close in price but with a three piece neck and a chambered body will cost more then this guitar.

Now of the Bad and the LOLs.

The first three issues are things that I can live with. 1300 for a headless guitar with ss frets...I except something to go wrong somewhere. This guitar isn't perfect.

[​IMG]

A little excess glue on the fret. No big deal.

[​IMG]

A little chip on the side of the neck pocket. Somebody wasn't very careful putting this neck in.

[​IMG]

this is a spot where there is just no paint under the clear coat. I'm not sure how something like this happens. It's just straight up missing. The clear coat was applied nicely though so you can't feel it. It's not bubbling or anything. But it's visually super annoying since it's right on the horn bevel. If it was on the back whatever. This is kind of annoying. But it's really only super annoying because the rest of the guitar is so consistent.

Bad stuff.

No two side dots on this guitar are in the same place. Now, I know side dots are hard and even great guitars are inconsistent. So I went and looked at pictures of tons of guitars, a number of Goliaths, examined all of my guitars....this Goliath I have has the worst side dots I've seen. Ever. In my Life.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seriously. Whoever did these wasn't even trying and whoever signed off on these wasn't even paying attention. I don't think I would be so annoyed if at least the double dots were right. But the 2 pairs of close dots are just so off. They are also luminlays so when they light up in the dark you get vertigo and throw up.

The lols

This guitar has no bridge ground. The wire is there...but it's not actually connected to anything. it's not so noisy you'll notice right away. But if you turn up the amp it's noisy as hell and the sound only goes away when you touch the pots. So ya, it's a 1300 brand new guitar that's not even wired right. Also if you look at the picture below the entire cavity is nicely covered in grounding paint....except the hole someone stabbed with a screwdriver or something.

[​IMG]

I'm on the fence about how much this issue bothers me. On one hand I can fix this pretty easily. On the other hand...it's a brand new guitar that I basically have to disassemble in order to get at the wire under the bridge. This completely voids the stated warranty. If I were to charge bench time for this or needed this taken care of by someone else it would cost at least 100 dollars and a pack of strings. Kind of annoying.

Customer service - I'm in the middle of getting this taken care of. Ormsby has offered me a neck exchange but I need to pay shipping too them and they'll pay shipping back. I guess that's reasonable since the side dots are an issue that some people would be ok with. I emailed them about the wiring issue. Their email response time lately isn't the greatest. About 1 reply in 4 days.

So ya, that's that. Take all this in account if you are thinking about buying one. Or not.

2. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Thank you for the in depth review! I personally think the fact that there's no bridge ground is inexcusable.. Those dots are pretty darn bad too. I think the solution they offered is fair but it still sucks to have to pay extra cash after the fact. The huge spread is the number one thing that has me intrigued and also concerned about these guitars. Wish they had the zero risk return policy that Strandbergs do.

3. diagrammatiks

the stretch on the 6 is a little wide but it's ok. Are you looking at a six? I don't think the seven would be much of a problem at all.

4. Angel0fshreD

Angel0fshreD shredaholic

First HNGD!
    Second for 1300$ this guitar has issues that custom guitars should not have.
    These side dots seem to have been made by someone who doesn't know his job right.
    For the electronics the same.
    Wtf you bought a new guitar and you need to pay that much shipping for their fault?
    Send the guitar back and take your money!

5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Thanks for this review!
    So overall would you say the Strandberg Boden Original or the Ormsby Goliath is better value for the money?

6. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I've been looking at 7s good sir. Close to pulling the trigger on a hype but I am still concerned. If it's as angled as the bottom frets of the Ibanez RGIF7s (25.5-27 but parallel fret on 12..) then I definitely won't like it :(

7. Dust_to_Dust

Dust_to_Dust Mathew

Jesus, same sort of problems with the Run 1 HypeGTR's too. The control pot on mine came bent, pickups needed repotting, or weren't potted at all. Bridge was screwed up, and a list of other things.

Hope you get it sorted.

8. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

Man, those sidedots would kill me.
    It is also evident from photos alone that these guitars suck in classical position. The long horn on the back of the body just screams "I pierce your leg and everyone you love".
    Bodens have the same problem, however, far less drastic. This entire shape just looks like a silly Boden copy with the necessary 'design changes' that weren't even thought out well.

I also have a special kind of hate for the switch placement. Who thought that cramming it between the two pots like this was a good idea?

thesnowdog likes this.
  9. guitareddie

guitareddie SS.org Regular

@crackout: I have a Goliath and I play exclusively in classical position and I have no issue whatsoever with the body horn you mentioned. Have you ever tried one yourself? But I fully agree on that switch placement ;)

10. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

+1 on the Goliath being comfy to play in classical position. Then again, I'm used to having a full-sized classical guitar so anything smaller than that is pretty comfy.

11. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

If you spread your legs like a hooker from Amsterdam, then I'll believe you.

RiksRiks and I play music like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

honestly the switch placement isn't bad. It looks more crammed than it really is. I had more of an issue with the main cutout digging into my leg and the lower horn limiting upper fret access. I never had that problem with my bodens or vaders. :2c:

13. guitareddie

@crackout : Did you ever try out a Goliath?

14. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

I haven't because it would mean for me to buy this thing.
    I played several Bodens though and judging from the resting point on the left leg, the piercing in the right is inevitable on the Goliath if you're sitting in a comfortable manner.

15. guitareddie

16. diagrammatiks

AxeHappy, crackout and I play music like this.
  17. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

VAT kills, man :/

I would love to try a Vader and a Goliath, aesthetically I love neither but I have a Vanquish (talk about bad taste) and a Hype and both neck profiles are quite nice for my average sized hands... in OPs opiniĆ³n what is (was) the strongest point of the Goliath?

18. guitareddie

I did not pay that much for my Goliath (nor my HypeGTR). You can buy directly from Ormsby.
    Anyway, I would also be more than annoyed having to look at those wonky side dots while playing. Total dealbreaker for me. And about the bridge grounding thing... o_O This should not have happened and then slipped through QC.
    Let's hope their customer support is able to rectify the situation.

19. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

I'm pretty sure buying directly from Ormsby + shipping + import taxes = roughly the price mentioned by the OP.

I agree with you in everything else :/

20. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I'm really torn. I wanted a Giloath 7 really bad and asked the EU distributor for a price. He quoted me at about 1700 and some change, which is alot for a WMI instrument but I was carefully optimistic. So I asked for a payment plan and he said "yeah, we can do that but you only get the guitar after the final payment", which defeats the idea of a payment plan for me. That's where I finally jumped the ship. Now I see these threads popping up and all the issues and it kinda breaks my heart because I really like the design and the specs but it's way too much money for what it is. I'm a little disappointed in how this turned out because the Goliath is by far my favourite take on the headless multiscale design.

JimF and I play music like this.