NAD: My First Tube Amp - 5150 II

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Frostbite, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I've been playing guitar for nearly a decade and never owned a tube amp or any amp that I would really consider "good". I've used the same distortion pedal through a Fender Frontman 25r and then a Blackstar HT-1 head and combo to get my tone so my tone has remain mostly unchanged since I started playing guitar. I've been looking for a 7 string and decided to check Manchester Music Mill in New Hampshire to see what they had. I grabbed a guitar and one of the employees mentioned they had a new amp room and asked me if I wanted to hook up to a 5150 II. Why yes, I'd love that. Playing the 7 string I realized that I loved the sound of this amp. It's in amazing condition. I keep staring at it like "Wow, this is great sounding". Then I checked the price. 500 bucks. At first I thought "Wow that's a great price" but I wasn't looking for a amp so it didn't cross my mind to buy it. I texted my buddy telling him that they had a 5150 for that price. I left MMM and went back to my buddies place who I was hanging out with and I just kept thinking about the 5150. I ended up driving the 30 minutes back to MMM and bought it. I don't play live so it's slightly impractical but I plan on buying a torpedo captor to be able to use it to record and play at sane levels since this thing KICKS. I'm playing it through a 1x12 ATM though so I'm looking for a 2x12 since that seems like a good balance been a 1x12 which doesn't really do the amp justice and a 4x12 which is ridiculous for my needs. Looking at an Orange PPC212 or the Misha Invective 2x12 (if it ever actually comes out)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Damn good amp for your first tube amp man. Good score!

3. Frostbite

Exactly why I bought it haha. Price was way too good to pass up

4. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

So it begins.

5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The 5150II/6505+ was my first tube amp too. I still have it. If you want to play real quiet turn down presence and resonance down to zero. You still get the tone without the chest thumping kick.

6. Frostbite

Interesting. I'll definitely try that out. Thanks man!

7. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

If your brave the bias mod helps quite a bit . It involves changing one resistor.
    Congrats on your new amp.

8. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Still one of my all time favorite amps. I have owned 3 of these.

Check CL for 212 cabs. There are SOOO many good options out for cabs these days. Avatar cabs have actually been my favorite ones, particularly the Contemporary and Signature 212s. I currently own a Mesa 412, Fender MH412, and an Avatar signature 212, and the Avatar is by far my favorite sounding and most used cab. You can sometimes get Avatar 212s or 412s for crazy cheap...like $150-$200 on CL or GC used.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Nice score! I have a Block Letter that I love :metal:

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Hell yes dude. I have the 6505+ and I'll just give you some advice since my amp is virtually the same as yours: Avatar 2x12 with Eminence Governor/Swamp Thang. The result is a hellacious onslaught, especially if you've got a guitar loaded with Black Winters.

Also, these amps aren't impractical even in home settings. A lot of the tone comes from preamp distortion. Granted, they do sound good turned up, but it's not necessary to get a good tone from these bad boys.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  11. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

12. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Hell of an amp to be your first. Congratulations!

13. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Hell yeah, awesome.

The invective 2x12 is already out, got mine in July. It's the head that's been delayed.

14. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

The 5150: A first tube amp so good, it could also be your last! ;)

15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

HNAD

A 5150ii/6505+ always loves a recto cab.

16. sandalhat

sandalhat SS.org Regular

Congratulations, man! A 5150 II was my first tube amp as well. I ended up selling it off after a while but then missed it. I decided I needed to have a 5150 family amp again, so I snagged a 6505 to try the original 5150 tone - not planning on letting this one go because like everyone says, they are great.

Feel free to ignore my unpopular opinion, but I'd steer clear of the invective cab. I don't have personal experience, but I don't get why people would want a pine cab for high gain. Everyone else is jumping on the hype train of the invective, but to me the cab seems like an afterthought riding the coattails of a hyped, but seemingly well-designed amp. Or at least an amp that features an iconic sound with a great feature set. Best bet if you're considering one is to at least A/B it with something a little more standard.

17. Frostbite

Went to my buddies show last night with this amp in Cambridge since his 6505+ was having issues and I let him use it. Hearing this thing cranked in a live set was great. I hooked this thing up with my precision drive and my isp decimator this morning (the decimator is there since the gate in the precision drive isn't fast enough IMO) and it's the personification of a tight "djent" tone. Couldn't be happier with my purchase

18. Frostbite

Yeah I'm keeping my eye on the local gear swaps for any solid 2x12 deals. Avatar is definitely on my list if I can find one haha

19. Frostbite

Tried this this morning and was surprised how well it worked. Definitely lowered the volume but all the character of the amp was still there. Thanks again for this definitely will be using it in the future.

20. Frostbite

I saw a video of the bias mod and it would definitely make life easier but at the same time, not 100% sure I like the slight tone change that I heard with it (going off Glenn Fricker's video on the topic). It's obviously minimal but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future as something to do since I don't plan on ever getting rid of this amp