NAD: Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 (finally settled on a Marshall)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Feb 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Totally different experience indeed!
    I still love modelers and they definitely have their place.
    Using tube amps is just a unique experience so it's fun to have access to both ;)
    I now believe everyone should at least own one proper tube amp, just to touch base with the analog world every once in a while.

mnemonic likes this.
  2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Yeah, I think I’ve got the best sounds out of my axe FX after having tube amps to compare to.

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

It can be used for distortion, In the case of the DSL I just use it as a clean boost. I crank the volume all the way, keep the tone in the middle and have no gain up on the pedal.

The trick to the DSL I've learned, and read from famous users of the DSL such as Joe Bonamassa, which I'm not a fan but is besides the point, is to keep the treble DOWN low. Once you get the treble close to the 12 o'clock position the amp gets very bright, but also the Ultra Gain channel gets very fizzy.

I try try to EQ the amp before using the boss SD1 in a way that allows for a very clear chunky but not sizzle bright sound. I want the gain on the amp to be articulate, almost to clean then I use the SD1 to get it where i want.

The Deep switch just makes the guitar tone very thick. People need to play with these amps. It's 100% tube gain, no diode clipping, nothing solid state to that.

It's a fun amp, that has an extremely fantastic channel (green)

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The SD-1 is based on the TS9 circuit, but has a different tonality. It cuts more bass and doesn't add as much output, but it's sooo much more bitey and aggressive than the TS9. It's the perfect pedal for ERGs IMO.

The SD-1 is in the Helix now. Try it.

5. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Congrats! DSL are amazing amps. I've owned 2 JCM 800's, and the DSL Crunch channel + Boss SD-1 is almost dead on. Kill 'Em All Thrash ALL DAY LONG!
    Dial back the OD1 channel Gain to 10 o'clock and it's that Hot Hodded JCM tone everyone is always talking about. It does it soooooo well.

I've owned a couple of JVM's too, and they are also amazing, but also a lot less Marshall, and more of a Marshall/Mesa hybrid. Very cool all the same. The JVM OD Amber boosted with a Digitech Bad Monkey was my main tone for a few years. Sepultura nailed!

AngryWhiteMan likes this.