N(dream)gd Parker fly STEAL!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MaxAidingAres, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I've had some good deals in my life but this is insane! Congrats man and awesome guitar!

2. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Can somebody explain this "pre-refinded" thing to me.

3. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Think pre fender CBS. Pre refined is what I thought was when different owners took over. However I believe it was when they revised the Parker process making various components and features cheaper quality. Like I heard they cut the cost of manufacture of the bridge by half etc.

4. yuri_1973

yuri_1973 Romantic Shredder

That's not a steal ... this deserves a new word

Congrats!

5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

That’s an OK way to think about it, although it doesn’t really have the collectibility connotations that the Fender designation has. There are some specifics too though, like Gen 2 pickups in the refined, exposed balance wheel in the pre, and different control layouts.

IMO there’s nothing super special about either in the sense that they both have all the things that make a Fly special already. I don't think there's a significant difference in quality—maybe some of the individual components, but not the overall instruments.

6. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard delightfully devilish

Pre-refined are the older Ken Parker guitars, then they were acquired by US Music Corp which changed the design a little. Pre-refined have the spring tension adjustment wheel, dimarzio pickups, and more knobs. The refined models simplified stuff like MaxAidingAres said, as well as switched to seymour duncans, and eventually changed the distinctive headstock.

7. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Don't show this to the guy who paid $450 for a half finished build from the Parker factory junk pile.

vilk, mastapimp, I play music and 3 others like this.
  8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

That's so much worse that it was Sam Ash, I was at least hoping that it was like a local deal or something. Damn dude, that's incredible. You must be having the best week out of all of us.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Hmm..."That's an embezzlement of a deal"? No, still not far enough..."a murder-worthy price?" No...still not quite far enough. "A holocaust of savings"...how 'bout that? To far? Probably too far, huh?

yuri_1973 likes this.
  10. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I don't think I have ever been more jealous than reading this NGD.

Congrats and enjoy it!!

11. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Essentially, everyone will go on about how pre refined is better but thats bullshit. Pre and Post both have cool features. Somethings changed for the better and some for the worse. Either way, your going to get a bitching instrument.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the really sad part is how little the previous owner of the gutiar got for it. If the store sold it to you for that cheap, that means theya re making some profit on it, even if its 20-50$

I get the store clerk on the day had no idea as he prob only knows about Fenders. But to the previous owner to not know????, seriusly dude, a quick google/ebay check would show you the re-sale price. I get it, he was desperate and needed the cash and couldnt wait months for the gutiar to get sold. Biut you need to draw the line somewhere.

I was on a similar position. Way behind my rent, closest gig I was working was too far away. So I took my LTD with upgraded EMGs and a flightcase into a pawn shop. The offered me half of what the pickups alone cost me, in other words if I had come with the pickups in their box I would have gotten same deal. The guy was a guitar player so he knew what it was. Either trying to rippme off to keep it for himself, or for me to not sell it and keep the guitar lol. Bottom line, it didnt matter how little they offered me I couldnt sell it for that

I have no idea how this guy sold a PArkeer Fly for 80-100$ at the best case scenario. Even putting that guitar at 200$ on ebay would have sold quicker

13. MaxAidingAres

Exactly when I asked if anything was wrong with it the clerk said “nothing”. Then proceeded to say the resale value for these is really low so I can even imagine someone coming in with it and knowing what it was but NOT know how it truly functions as far as setup etc and therefor getting screwed. Or maybe it was a family member that doesn’t play guitar knows nothing except it ain’t a fender or a Gibson and goes based off of what Sam Ash tells them. Sad.

JSanta and A-Branger like this.
  14. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Stolen. Had to have been at sometime. I doubt someone bought that legit and then sold it for nothing. Reguardless, that dude at the store should be fired and never allowed to even THINK about a guitar again. Good deal for you though bro.

15. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

At least if that was the case, then based on the sell price, they at least didn't crank up the price to further rip off that other person...if they sold it for $169.99, the absolute most they made on it is $169.98, so at least know that GC didn't profit too much on their own stupidity.

16. MaxAidingAres

Here’s some better pics of the color, and better assessment of the damage it came with.
    [​IMG]
    Electronics cavity and you can see how the spring is broken but still works.
    [​IMG]
    Here’s a chip on the side that could be worrisome? Idk? The fretboard is perfect attached still and frets are still perfect, just want to know if I should take action Incase it might expand?
    [​IMG]
    Believe me, I’m still pinching myself

Constructivist likes this.
  17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I get some people treat their guitars like "meh", but that previous owner didnt give a F about it. Going by the damage and the scratches in the lower horn closeup of the fretboard and in the top/back/around :O

at what point you get a "Parker" and just trow it on the floor like a Squier..?

which gaves me the next point, the previous owner didnt knew what guitar this was, and prob bought it really cheap too like 200-300$ on a pawn shop/garage sale or something.... Like "oh thats a weird looking guitar cool"

which makes a lot of sense why sold it for so cheap and didnt knew how it worked

18. Constructivist

Constructivist SS.org Regular

wut?

That is unreal mate. Enjoy it!

19. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Pretty likely.

20. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

Holy crap that's a great deal! congrats!