My custom Lopoline 2x12 is coming!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mgcasella, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mgcasella

mgcasella SS.org Regular

It took only two weeks and my cab from Lopoline is coming! :hbang:

EarCandy Cabs could learn a thing or two from Lopoline's turnaround time. :nono:

I got the tracking number last Friday and it is on the move. I decided to go a little nuts and get it made exactly the way I wanted. Here are the specs:

1. 2x12 empty
    (But will soon contain 2 Jensen Electric Lightnings)
    2. Signature style
    3. Italian poplar
    (This will reduce the weight by about 7-10 pounds, which will be good
    for my weak back and shoulders :yesway:)
    4. Dovetail jointing
    5. Black Smooth (Taurus) tolex
    6. Black grill cloth

It will be here on July 2nd and there will be much rejoicing. Hopefully, the speakers will be here by then, too, so I can hook them up.

I will update this thread as things develop.

Apophis likes this.
  2. Apophis

Apophis Banned

Congrats, but as always :worth:

3. mgcasella

mgcasella SS.org Regular

Patience my friend, patience. When the cab comes, there will be many pics! :lol:

4. mgcasella

mgcasella SS.org Regular

After a very long day, I was finally able to come home to my custom Lopoline cab.

I got it out of the box and something just didn't seem right. So, after going on their website, I decided to take some measurements...

The depth was fine.
    [​IMG]

The height is supposed to be 20 inches.
    [​IMG]

The length is supposed to be 30 inches.
    [​IMG]

Basically, I received their standard model (with some extra wood on the front panel) for the price of their signature cab. Of course, by the time I got home and took the measurements, the Lopoline shop was closed.

I hope they are in tomorrow because I want to call them and take care of this as soon as possible. I am not happy.

5. defchime

defchime SS.org Regular

those are external measurements right...you dont want vomit (node) inducing measurements...if there external and the wood is 3/4" than you'll be fine i think.

that royaly sucks...if they wont take it back, which im sure they will...than pm me and i'll buy it from you.

6. maat

maat 'stortion junkie

Take good care of that cab when you get it. I believe poplar is soft wood.

7. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Strange... I ordered a custom cab from them (not the Sig model), and it came with all the proper measurements. They even hooked me up with a custom wiring harness I asked for for free.

Whats the Sig cab look like from the front? I was looking into getting one of those too.

8. mgcasella

mgcasella SS.org Regular

Here's an email I just received from Tiffany:

Hello Matthew,

We are currently closed. I am monitoring emails and was concerned when I saw your message so I have been waiting for a reply. We placed your order as a 2x12 TV style lightweight dovetail cabinet. TV style is a different model with our line than the Signature series. They are similar in style, but not the same. I am sorry, we did not have this order correctly stated. A 2x12 Signature Dovetail lightweight would be more expensive than we charged you. However, we strive for customer satisfaction therefore, I will waive the additional charges and we will build you a Signature 2x12 Dovetail Lightweight cabinet. It will be larger and weigh more. You can keep the original cabinet until we ship the replacement to you. I will then have UPS pickup the original cabinet and return it to us.

We will build the new cabinet next week.

Best Regards,

Tiffany

Holy shit :hbang: I thought the TV style was just another name for the Signature style. I wasn't even aware there was an actual "TV Style" on their site until just now (which is odd, considering of been on their site quite a bit).

This is amazing customer service and I am writing an email right now explaining how happy I am. I feel bad about the mix up so I am offering to put some extra cash towards the Signature cab due to the price difference.

Especially after dealing with so much much shit from EarCandy, this really is a breath of fresh air. If I ever need another cab, I am going with Lopoline :metal:

Of course, when it comes you can all expect picture diary of the un-boxing an installation of the speakers :agreed:

9. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

they are great, ive gotten 4 cabs from them so far and all were awesome (JJ has one now)

Gonna place an order for blue tolex now, since i got a Carvin X60 im gonna retolex to match my other cabs.

you'll like it when its finally done/exchanged.

10. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

Holy fuck that's nice of them! Good customer service makes me all warm inside, haha.

11. mgcasella

mgcasella SS.org Regular

After dealing with some stupid bs from Jensen, I finally got my Jensen Electric Lightnings in the mail.

BTW my new cab has been shipped and should be at my new apartment within a week :hbang:

Behold the Photoshop unboxing:

[​IMG]
    Oooooh - a package!

[​IMG]
    Yes, it is indeed from Jensen :shred:

[​IMG]
    A pamphlet of stuff you should know if you already bought the speakers (such as, what models Jensen carries).
    But...what is this?

[​IMG]
    Hmmm - a t-shirt that is too big for me. It looks okay, and is a nice freebie, but I would have preferred to just have everything shipped on time. I'll just give it to my friend who is helping me move into my new apartment today :agreed:

[​IMG]
    What a lovely cone! It looks and feels very sturdy.
    I don't know much about the mechanics of building a speaker; however, I expected that the dome in the middle would have been much bigger. I thought it would have looked similar to my Eminence Swamp Thang, for some reason.
    Just thinking out loud :metal:

[​IMG]
    The spyder (and some other parts I don't know the names of).

[​IMG]
    That's a pretty big magnet!
    I can't wait to see what they sound like when I put them in my cab.
    It will be 140 watts at 4 ohms and will rule - I just have to make sure I'm patient and break in the speakers first.

12. mgcasella

mgcasella SS.org Regular

My custom Signature Lopoline is finally here! :shred:

Actually, it came last week but I was super busy with finals. Now I finally have time to edit the pics and post the un-boxing.

[​IMG]

The return address for the other cab and some casters...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks very nice! Unfortunately, a lot of the vinyl cord/inlay/lining had come out of the grooves. It's really had to get it back in so I gave up.
    [​IMG]

Wow - this thing looks sweet!
    [​IMG]

The underside looks nice; however, in the bottom-right corner above the wheel, you can see staples. So, does Lopoline not know how to apply tolex? I know how to use a staple gun - maybe I should see if they are hiring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking off the back and installing the speakers was nice and easy.
    [​IMG]

This looks like some decent speaker wire! They even have the jacks ready for parallel wiring!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back of the back panel. More staples. Is this normal? I don't recall seeing this with any of my Avatar cabs.
    [​IMG]

The inside looks great. Why do cab companies paint the inside? It would have been nice to see the grain of the Italian Poplar.
    I would like to add, however, that the dovetail jointing makes the inside seem much more roomy.
    Four t-nuts and matching screws made installing the speakers quick and secure.
    The bottom of the front panel looks sloppy.
    [​IMG]

There is sticky residue like this throughout the corners of the front panel. Why? If it was glue, shouldn't it have dried by now? If anyone has an explanation, I would like to hear it.
    [​IMG]

I tried to get a good shot, but this was the best I could come up with. This is the bottom-right corner of the back of the front panel. Not all the corners are as bad as this - this was the worst one.
    The corner of the front panel is not flush with the bottom and side panels of the cab. I never expected this to be perfect; however, there is a noticeable GAP. It looks like something went wrong with the blade when the front panel was being cut. Unfortunately, this photo does not show just how bad it looks, but it was the best photo I was able to take.
    [​IMG]

This is how the front looks when the cab is ready to be played!
    It was disappointing to see the staples and sloppy corners, especially after how awesome my first cab was. That one was a standard 1x12 as opposed to a custom signature 2x12 so maybe they are just not used to building these.

It's not as if I spent a ton of money on an Emperor cab, but still, the sloppiness is disappointing.

Anyway, it sounds fine and I'm sure that once the Jensens break in it'll sound even better. If any problems arise (especially with the speaker baffle) I will be sure to give Tiffany at Lopoline a call.

Hopefully, nothing will happen and I'll be able to just use the cab until it dies from old age and wear-and-tear, as was my plan in the first place.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts, anyone?

13. defchime

defchime SS.org Regular

the stickey residue in the corners could be some kind of caulking to seal the cabinet...Im not sure if thats what it is but that would definitly make it have a sealed design.

I did this with a cabinet i built myself and it actually makes a huge difference in the low freq. ranges.

14. mgcasella

mgcasella SS.org Regular

Ah, I see :agreed:

That's probably it - thanks for the input! As long as I know that the front panel wasn't "recycled" from another cab we're all good :lol: