Musicians who never learn how to restring/setup their instruments?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Angel0fshreD

Angel0fshreD Death or Glory

-

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. Angel0fshreD

Angel0fshreD Death or Glory

N o o b h e r e ! lol
    Im playing 7-8 years(only tabs,not music theory)and i cant restring it and set up it.
    I fear that i will break my instrument or make some serious damage.
    So i take my guitar to a technician and pay some cash...
    I know this is not the best for me so i need to learn about some time set up and stuff...

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

On my guitar with the frickin Floyd Rose, I would rather drop the damn thing off at the shop and have someone else deal with the annoyance and pay them to do it than make myself feel self-sufficient by being incredibly pissed off for an hour or two :D It's worth ~50 bucks to avoid the headache and have it set up nicely to boot.

Jamey36 likes this.
  4. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I think we also look at need. I gigged a lot when I was a kid, and having to know how to set the action, tweak the trussrod, restring, etc... was essential to being able to play a couple of shows a week. That was my reality. Right now, my new to me PRS hollowbody II needs to get the frets worked on - I leave that to the experts.

lewis likes this.
  5. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I don't see why anyone would pay someone to move the truss rod 1/4 turn to the right and adjust the action, change the strings, ect. Fretwork is a different story.

lewis likes this.
  6. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Because there are people who get paid for that, also the fear that your guitar's neck might get broken if you mess up with the string tension and leave the neck bent. It's just that easy to understand.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Once you try and see how easy it is being a bit careful, it's not that easy to understand.

smokiekouki, bostjan and lewis like this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i do think its a reflection of modern society.
    We want somethings/people to do things for us too much.

That may offend but its the truth tbh.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Well, you know, as DLR used to always say: "Joke em if they can't take a fuck, Sylvie!"

lewis likes this.
  10. wankerness

If you can easily afford to pay someone to do something better than you can, something miserable that's a waste of your small amount of free time, why wouldn't you? I feel the same way about lawn care, I guess that's the only other thing I outsource that I could easily do myself.

Unless you're like the dad in Calvin and Hobbes - "IT BUILDS CHARACTER!" :D

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

but its this attitude which has increased the importance that paper with presidents/queens on, has in ruling our lives.

Maybe if everyone were self reliant and never needed to just palm someone money to do it for them, all our costs/overheads would not be so high? and money would not rule are lives soo much.
    Like....how did guitar techs/luthiers learn to do it?. Or were they born holding a truss rod adjustment tool and a pack of ernie balls?

Angel0fshreD and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  12. will_shred

It would take longer to drive your guitar to the shop, wait for it to get done, and pick it up than to do it yourself :2c:

smokiekouki, TedEH and lewis like this.
  13. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Thats how the free market works. Or bartering if you will. You pay someone for a service. Simple as that. Can you learn to do it yourself? Sure. Does it matter in the grand scheme of life? Not a drop.

If someone has the money to pay someone else to do work, who cares?

Do i know how to change my motor oil? Yes. Do i hate working on cars? Yes. Would i rather pay someone else to do it since i can afford it? Yes i would.

Its not necessarily that people cant do it. They just dont want to do it.

couverdure likes this.
  14. wankerness

That only applies if you never go into town for any other reason, or if the closest guitar store is in some remote corner of the countryside by itself? Or if you wait to restring your guitar till "right before it's time to play."

I'm not trying to convince anyone to do this if they can do it themselves, I'm just trying to argue against the snottiness of these people who are like SOCIETY IS RUINED BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T STRING THEIR OWN GUITARS!!! Live and let live, dawgs.

couverdure likes this.
  15. will_shred

I don't think anyone is saying that lol

lewis likes this.
  16. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

This might sound like I'm picking on you but I'm not, trust me. This whole mentality of a guitar being this fragile instrument drives me insane, its made out of wood, metal and plastic, not glass. There's almost nothing you could do to harm your guitar just from setting it up normally. I can understand not wanting to touch the truss rod at first since you always hear about guys "ruining" their necks but that takes an immense amount of stupidity to do. Some of these guys that say you should only give it a 1/8-1/4 turn and let it rest for an entire day are out of their minds, you should let it rest for 1-2 hours at most and then adjust again if you need to. Basic guitar maintenance is super simple. Changing strings? Easy. Replacing a nut? No problem. Setting your action and intonation? So easy your dog could do it. Setting up a Floyd Rose? Eh, I'll pay someone else to deal with that headache:lol:

Angel0fshreD and lewis like this.
  17. wankerness

Oh yeah?

18. will_shred

:lol: well it keeps repair shops in business, and for that I thank them.

19. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

One reason I stopped subcontracting stores for repairs is because you can't change enough strings in a month to pay for more than a few hamburgers.

My overhead is measured in units of hamburgers.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not sure what you meant to say here - is this a "legit" reason to pay for a setup? Cause you shouldn't be waiting till the last minute to do your restring for a bunch of reasons, but also, I thought you had to leave a guitar behind for any work to be done? Having a hard deadline for when you need the instrument ready is absolutely a reason NOT to bring it to a tech.

If I need a guitar restrung so I can use it the same day the option would be:
    a) Take the 15 minutes to do it myself because it's easy and literally only takes 15 minutes (even with the zr trem on my S)
    or
    b) Drive to store, explain what I need, drop off instrument, hope it's ready in time, realize it won't be, pick it up a few days later when I don't need it anymore, be generally sad.

Angel0fshreD, lewis and smokiekouki like this.