Musicians who never learn how to restring/setup their instruments?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Sep 2, 2017.

1. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I'm not good at wrapping the strings around the machine heads though, they always end up looking disorganized.

I tried out an Iron Label RGD the other day and it had locking tuners with posts so small you can't wrap the strings around it, maybe I should have those installed on my guitars so changing strings would be a lot easier.

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Although I have lockers on almost all my guitars, I still have a couple with non-locking tuners. It can be a bitch to get strings wound perfectly around the posts but a small pair of needle-nose pliers can really make the process much easier and subsequently, the final result much more professional-looking. As you wind the string around the post, using pliers allow you to keep more consistent tension on the string... helping the wraps to stay seated a bit better as you turn the tuner and continue wrapping. It's also a hell of a lot easier to pull on strings with pliers as opposed to your fingers.

Disregard if you're already doing it this way since it's still more of a PITA compared to locking-tuners lol.

3. NickS

NickS Carvinite

As a side note to this, it is really annoying guesstimating how much extra string length to use to wrap around the tuning peg on a guitar without locking tuners. Especially being that most of my guitars have different headstock shapes and lengths/reverse setups.
    Sometimes you get way more string wrapped around the peg and sometimes you start wondering if there is enough string to hold on:wallbash:

4. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

I never setup or even restring my guitars myself.I pay a tech even to restring.Don't get me wrong,I can change strings,I just prefer not to.I travel a lot for work so I have the time to leave it with someone.All my guitars have Floyds.Having a tech do it just saves me time and mild hassle.

Razerjack and couverdure like this.
  5. smokiekouki

smokiekouki SS.org Regular

I've never really understood why people pay other people to work on their guitars. Then again, I work on my own car too. I'm a firm believer in, if I can do it, so can you. I've been playing for 15 years. My dad showed me how to change strings once when I was 10. That was it. Since then, I've swapped multiple pickups, bridges, nuts, necks, adjusted truss rods, set intonation, etc. I recently restrung/setup my 7 string with a floyd rose with the help of youtube.

It's a good feeling to be able to accomplish something for yourself that a shop charges $100+ to do. Plus, you gain knowledge and experience to make the job easier next time. I'll always work on my own guitars. Youtube is super helpful, along with all of the other forums and information on the internet.

watson503, Spaced Out Ace and NickS like this.
  6. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

It's so that those techs can get paid for doing their jobs.

Maybe it's a lot different here in my country, but I never paid over $10 for whatever setup I had. Although there are some shops here that do more professional setups like refretting but I don't have any needs to have my guitars get them at the moment.

smokiekouki likes this.
  7. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I'll do whatever. I was kind of afraid I'd mess something up in the beginning, but I have a good tech in my area that told me can fix anything I break.

That being said once or twice a year I'll do a partscaster...I pick and choose quality parts that are aesthetically pleasing to me, chuck it in a box and take it to him for first assembly, because dude does the best setups I've ever had. After that, string changes, pickup swaps and guage/intonation changes are all me.

I DO have a friend that lives close by and had a stroke a few years ago and is unable to work. I kick him IRs or Kontakt instruments or whatever...free strings sometimes etc...and every once in a while dude asks what he can do for me. I'll drop off a guitar for him to change strings and set up in a different tuning; he's pretty good at it but it's mostly a favor to him, gnome sane?

feraledge likes this.
  8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose of a partscaster? ie, building it yourself

9. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

It's no less a partscaster if someone else builds it. A kit is meant to be assembled by the purchaser, a partscaster is just pieces put together. It could be super high end, it could be junk, being a partscaster isn't a qualification for anything other than the fact that it's not pieces that originally came together.

steinmetzify likes this.
  10. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Exactly. There's no manual that says I'm the guy that has to put it together. I dig picking the parts, figuring out it's going to look and what's going to work well together.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I guess another angle to look at it from is that I see the basics of guitar setup as necessary to be properly prepared for a show. What if you break a string the day before a show? Or AT the show? During a set? Are you going to just quit playing until you can get a tech to look at it? Are you going to carry two guitars to every gig? (Arguably, that's a legit option, and a good idea sometimes anyway.)

What about small touring bands that can't afford to bring a tech with them? If you're on the road, you don't have time to find someone and leave them your guitar for setups. If you can't do the most basic maintenance of your own instrument, there's no way you can be properly prepared to play any more than some one-off shows.

I recently started playing drums in a band setting to fill in for someone who quit, and I've never been in a proper drumming role before so I know there's gaps in my knowledge- so what's one of the first things I do? Learn how to setup the kit. Learn how to tune the drums. Learn how to replace the skins. I'm not a "real drummer" so I ended up with a super cheap used shell kit, but I was able to make it sound pretty good with few days of tweaking and some youtube watching.

I guess the way I see it is that if you're not willing to take the time to learn how your instrument works, then you're not taking that instrument seriously.

lewis and NickS like this.
  12. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Let's shift the topic slightly to the high volume of instrument reviews on this site by guys who don't know enough about setups to report on the QC corners cut at the factory that would be seen as glaring by others:

I get tired of rolling my eyes at $800 purchases that "beats or matches" the guy's 3rd-hand reference-Prestige "any day of the week", and the review ends with the guy saying that he's dropping the guitar off with his local tech tomorrow for a "full setup." Apparently, they're grading based on a combination of color and how they look in the bathroom mirror while wearing the guitar.

13. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I've been playing for the better part of 15 years - I have no problem tweaking the truss rod, cleaning up wiring when needed, string changes, changing pickups and pots. Where I draw a line are on things like refrets or even fret filing. My PRS needs new frets. I'll gladly pay the money to a pro to do the work correctly.

When i was younger and playing gigs fairly frequently, I took it upon myself to learn about taking care of the guitars and basses. I think it's important to learn about this stuff.

lewis likes this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

:lol:

15. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Exactly this. No sense in playing if you're not willing to learn the absolute basics of the instrument.

I learned to set up a floating bridge a few weeks after buying my first guitar thanks to a couple of YouTube videos and few hours of trial-and-error and patience. Over the years I've become more comfortable taking on more and more projects and adjustments to my guitars to the point where the only things I can't do are fretwork/refrets and major repairs like a headstock break, and those are only because I don't have the tools for that kind of work. Doing my own work feels incredibly rewarding, and makes me care about my instruments/playing that much more.

I do know a few guitarists who are skittish about doing their own pickup swaps, setups, and restrings. Luckily for me, I get to be the friend who does it for them and make a few bucks here and there :D

lewis likes this.
  16. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Does wrapping the strings around the posts properly have to be required for knowing how to change strings? I tried to do this method after replacing the old broken machine heads on my cheap acoustic guitar.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can replace the heads, cut the excess strings, and wipe the frets clean but not this.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

If the string doesnt break and stays relativley in tune then it works.

But the strings in the bottom picture look wrapped too loosely to me.

18. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, TBH that's what a lot of people worry about, so it's a legit evaluation :D

19. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Sounds like I could corner the YouTube review market by being the "Hi, Welcome to Chili's" guy with a guitar on.

On a pass-or-fail basis.

20. Spaced Out Ace

So the only difference between now and your future YouTube career is posting videos. :rofl:

Note: this establishment would like me to inform everyone that this is what used to be called a "joke" before people were offended by everything. Carry on.