Multiscale 8 + high gain amp = medium/low output BKPs?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by chopeth, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:48 AM.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I play in a extreme metal band. Fast riffing songs spiced with eerie clean parts. In my other guitars (27'' sevens) I have modern high output ceramic pups and they work great but sometimes too noisy and ear fatiguing in combination with such a crushing amp.

I'm going to build a new axe:

Swamp ash + maple FF8 (26,5''-28'')
    EVH 5150III 50w

As the pups are going to be slanted, I have to be careful which ones I chose. I'd love Black Winters but they don't do it slanted, so they have to be BKPs. I'm considering getting a different thing here. Instead of modern ceramic high output pickups should I get some vintage alnico medium or even low pickups? will they still serve my purposes?

I'm torn between the new Ragnaroks or trying something like the Holy Divers.

2. odibrom

odibrom .

I'm not aware of BKPs pickup series, but I can tell of my experience. I've been a DiMarzio user for quite some time until last year. I decided to ask a local pickup builder for some white 7 string pickups (hard to get around here) but I was looking for something different of the traditional DiMarzios 7s (Blazes, AirNortons, D-Sonics, DAs, Evo...), all with ceramic magnets. I asked him to do me some low magnetic pull, kind of modern sounding Alnico 5 pickups.

Bang, I was stroke by lightning, I found my sound. Super clear and articulate sound for my 7s, full sounding and open... and can be tight as well. Now I have these pickups in all my 3 most used guitars with slightly different takes on the formula. I'd say you should try some Alnico 5 pickups with moderate output power...

By the way, I'm using a Triaxis (with all Mark modes: LD1 Green and Yellow and LD2 on all modes) and a 2:fifty power-amp setup, mahogany or basswood body with mapleneck+rosewood fingerboard Ibanez guitars, just for reference. I get pretty heavy drives and wonderful cleans with these modes and these pickups.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    gienek likes this.
  3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

You want Black Dogs

4. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

I'm planning on doing a similar build to yours in the future with a BKP Black Dog 8 set, just to try hot-rodded PAFs pickups in a modern metal contest and I've heard they sound exceptionally good on ERGs.

Currently I've a set o Ragnarok on my RG2228 and they're high output as bkp says but very articulate and decently tight.
    They're not the ultimate djent weapon someone could expect but they stay clear among all the strings.
    I'm not completely sure they would work on swamp ash since they're upper-mid focused and, in theory, they could result in a too much "glassy" sound with no low end.

5. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I have a set of Mules in a 26.5” scale custom 8-string Schecter. I can’t say I’m a modern metal player but I do play with lots of gain (think Alice In Chains type tones).

The Mules are MUCH hotter than I was expecting. Maybe it’s because there’s just so much wire used to wrap the huge 8-string bobbins? But they drive my Marshall about the same as a Duncan Custom, maybe even more.

I’m not sure why they seem to have so much output, but I shutter to think just how hot the higher output Bare Knuckle 8-string pickups are.

As far as their tone, sound thick and even across the spectrum, to me. Seem to be able to do anything reasonably well.

6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

At BKP they advised something "more precise" for an 8 stringer when I asked about Rags or HDs

7. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

Interesting, what did they advise?
    I guess something like the aftermath .
    I don't see why the Rags wouldn't be enough precise for an 8 stringer.

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Exactly, I was advised to get "Aftermaths, ceramic Nailbombs, Painkillers, or maybe Ragnaroks"

too many bad critics on Aftermaths, I had Cbombs and hated them with all my heart, Painkillers are too trebbly for a swamp ash axe so only ragnarok might be an option, together with other possibilities like the black dog, which I'm started to be interested in.

9. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

I personally wouldn't recommend the aftermaths. I had them in a basswood guitar with maple top, and were totally "dry" sounding and harsh on the highs, i hated them and I guess in a swamp ash 8 string they would sound even worse.

I'm also interested in the black dogs and I've heard they're ery mid focused and bkp uses to suggest them for 8 string guitars.

If I had to choose between the pickups they suggested, I'd probably go for a set of Ragnaroks: they retain clarity even with lots of gain which is a good thing for an 8 stringer.
    I would also take in consideratin the black dogs abut I have no further informations at the moment.

10. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

They always steer me to pickups that seem strange for what I was asking about.

I really don’t know what to think of their products. I had a Holy Diver that I’d read was like a perfected Duncan JB. I like the JB and hated the Holy Diver. It had no guts or character at all IMHO.

I try to Mules because I was expecting a moderate output, bright and scooped sound (and had to pick BKPs because I wanted metal soapbar covers), and instead I got what I’d consider mid-heavy flamethrowers.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

if you want medium output and a relatively precise,aggressive tone, get black dogs. They definitely hold up for technical stuff, though the low end isn't super tight (it needs some help from a boost or such to get it real tight). They might be a tad bright in your guitar, but that's easily remedied with some eq'ing via a tone knob/bigger capacitor/tweaking amp settings.
    Painkillers are tight as hell, but they have shit cleans and they're ear rapingly bright in the wrong guitar. Also they have this weird slightly fuzzy high end and big upper mid focus. They definitely scream and riff like crazy, but I don't think they'd be well suited to an 8 string.
    Aftermaths are horrible in bright guitars, especially in my swamp ash 8 string I used to have them in. Super dry, tight, but also clanky and metallic in the midrange (it's very hard to dial out), horribly bright in the wrong guitar. They're basically only good if you throw metric tons of gain at them and put em in a darker sounding guitar to help smooth out the weird midrange/bright highs.

since you're already looking at getting slanted pickups, check out the elysian javelin or the goliaths. They're not super high output but they have great cleans (especially when split), and they're very tight/responsive on the low end with excellent clarity. I know the javelin will work in swamp ash since I tested it in my swamp ash 8. The goliath should work equally as well, plus adam can tweak the voicings/magnets depending on what exact sound you want.

Funny, because I hate the JB and love the holy diver. It gets rid of that honkiness that the JB has. The nailbomb is closer to the JB ime. The holy diver had this nice thick sound that just meshed better with my setup than the nailbomb. Plus the lead tones were wayyy better imo

12. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Very interesting answers here.

That is out of question, I'm only offered BKP

At the moment I'm sold 70% Ragnaroks / 30% Black Dogs

13. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Aren't Ragnaroks voiced to sound like active pickups? Seems like that would be way too hot for the application you're looking for.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nah that's the Blackhawks.

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Ok, Ragnaroks finally. Thanks everybody!

16. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Lundgren? They'll make slanted pickup for you. And I don't need to tell you about famous 8 string players who swear by them...!

17. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Nope, the builder said that is no option.