Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I love Tim Robbins in Jacob's Ladder. And The Sure Thing, of course.

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I just noticed the tags for this thread. :lol:

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Watched Terrifier and Wolfcop again last night. Awesome modern horror. Wouldn't mind more like this.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

It's on Prime. What's it like? I don't think I've seen it.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I saw The Festival recently. Fun film, guy from The Inbetweeners basically plays the same character again. It will be on Netflix by the end of the year.

6. wankerness

Jacob's Ladder is one of the best horror-ish movies of the 90s IMO. As a horror fan you should watch it. It's got some religious imagery/parallels in it, and there's a bit of sappy material, but it's mostly kind of a precursor to the popular "mindfuck" movies. It also famously inspired Silent Hill imagery. Basically about a vietnam vet that starts seeing things after his kid dies, and discovers it might be related to drug experiments back then.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

wat?!, that makes it sound like he was forced into it and barely made it till the end, like if it was a task

what kind of kid doesnt like that movie!!? lol I have never watched a movie so many times and never gets old. One of the very few movies I actualy know the dialog off, and one simple line (with a Jamaican accent) and everyone knows which movie and what part of the movie you talk about haha

eitherway.

Saw the alst one of MI, pretty awesome movie, but you def need to see the alst one(s) and have it fresh, I got lost couple of times in this one.... specially on that spy chick (forgot her name, the one who started on the alst one too), Im so in love with her, its stupid.....

Saw Happy Times Murders, because muppets. Movie was cool, but tilting more into the "meh" category. Best jokes was on trailers as always.... Think mostly was the awful choice of the main muppet character. Cool home movie, not cinema worth it

TAG. I didnt saw it at the cinema as I was expecting the "hollywood comedy script #34"... you know, where they chooce a random comedy script out of the wall and jsut fill the gaps and names.

Movie was actually pretty cool

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Mostly my son is still young and we're still learning what he likes and doesn't like. He'll point to something but change his mind on 5 minutes. He picked Cool Runnings and seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

aaahhhh fair enough :) .... or should I said "no problem mon"

glad he liked it

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

So I watched Let The Right One In again and then read the book...

As great as the movie is, the book stomps, easily. Entire fucking plot lines were left out of the movie, though I will say... The book is supremely fucked up. It's a great book, but I don't think I can stomach it again. Shit left me feeling dirty afterwards.

11. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Black Panther
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Assassins
    Hardcore Henry

12. Spaced Out Ace

More of you need to watch Terrifier.

13. wankerness

As a huge fan of the movie, I say the book is total sleazoid garbage with horrible writing (though, that could have partly been the translation). I was excited to read it and get the backstory for that odd memory-sharing scene when we find out about the...scar. But, instead, I got utter trash that makes Stephen King look like Shirley Jackson. Yes, we really needed a zombie with a boner trying to rape Eli the whole time, that would have been a much better movie. And Oscar should have been constantly referring to his bladder problems. And we needed a character sitting in a basement smashing someone's head over and over and over. Etc.

On the positive side, it made me appreciate the movie all the more for managing to extract such an emotional, amazing story out of all that dreck.

14. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I guess I've got a different view of the book than you do. Oh well. :)

15. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Eraser
    Doctor Strange
    I, Robot
    Face/Off
    Under the Skin

16. fps

fps Kit

Black k Klansman. Awesome film!

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Terminal- it's a madcap kind of noire movie. Margot Robbie is excellent in it, same with mike myers. The color palette and camera work are great. Definitely worth a watch if you want to see something a bit zany.

18. Spaced Out Ace

Just finished watching Funland on Amazon Prime. After that, I think I want to blow my fucking brains out. Yeesh!

19. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

The Revenant: That'll stick with me for a little while, I expect. What a beautiful (and super intense) movie! The cinematography was incredible. Long, flowing shots that seem to be one take even when/if they aren't. I'm not sure there's anybody around right now who's better at being unlikeable than Tom Hardy. (And please don't misunderstand: I think he's brilliant; just exceptionally great at playing unredeemable bastards.)

Atomic Blonde: Basically Charlize Theron doing a Jason Bourne movie set in the 80's. I got a kick out of the way they had popular 80's tunes play over most of the darkest moments. Enjoyed the movie more than I expected to. I feel like Theron has tried to do movies like this before and whether due to her performance or the direction, they've not gone right. This one went right. Some of the better fight scenes I've seen in the last several years. Also, bonus points for bewbs! :lol:

Fearless (1993 Jeff Bridges; not 2006 Jet Li): Depressing. Solid cast, good acting, but kinda... I hesitate to say 'pointless', but... I get the impression they were aiming for 'cathartic', but I feel like they missed the mark.

*edit* Oh, and, Major League II: Basically the same movie as the first one, except they tried to replace Wesley Snipes with Omar Epps, like we wouldn't notice. Still, I can't help it. I just have a soft spot for these things.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  20. wankerness

Fearless is good. The Revenant is beautifully made, but man, that's one of the prime examples of Oscars giving someone an Oscar cause they did the Oscar thing with Leo in the lead role. He was outside in the cold a lot and ate some raw meat! GIVE THE MAN AN OSCAR! His character has basically no depth and the only way we see ANY of his feelings is through those garbage flashbacks that basically have no depth to them either. They have to TELL us what he's feeling cause we can't tell from his performance, and even then there's really no emotional depth to it. Tom Hardy is so much better it's ridiculous.