Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

there's no point in neutering the original film. that'd be like making a pg13 version of cannibal holocasut.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

He's been wanting to make a more general, audience- friendly live adaption of the Toxic Crusaders, which I remember watching when I was a kid. But even still. Troma is tits, sex, violence, and crude jokes. Despite how ahead of their time they were in the 80s, there is no way the way Troma does it is a box office friendly affair. And with something like Toxic Avenger -- ie, their most important property -- the film is going to get destroyed by -- pun intended -- "toxic" fandom.

3. KnightBrolaire

it's one of those remakes i hope never sees the light of day, like the crow one.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

finished NOES 4. by far the weakest of the films but still has some great effects (weightlifter girl getting turned into a cockroach/ trapped souls ripping out of freddy's body/ pizza covered in faces). It also has some of the worst kills in the series (karate boy being in an invisible fight with freddy then getting stabbed). Also let's never speak of the krueger rap at the end. one of the worst musical endeavors since TMNT/Vanilla Ice uttered Go Ninja Go for a few minutes straight.

5. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

finally saw avengers infinity war . they did a good job with it. Balancing all the characters and styles. wasn't totally stoked on how it ended. felt like half a movie but it was entertaining for sure .much better than the 2nd one

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

We can 110% blame this on Vinnie Vincent. Had his track actually been of any note at all, perhaps even 1/4th of what Dream Warriors is, we might not have gotten some shitty Freddy rap track.

What really pisses me off is that Something Moved by Frehley's Comet with Tod Howarth on vocals was never used in an 80s slasher film.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

[​IMG]

synrgy likes this.
  8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

You REALLY think it's worse than 5 and especially Freddy's Dead?!

9. KnightBrolaire

no, I think it's weaker than 1,2 or 3. prob should have clarified

10. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Weird Science!

Despite being born in 1980, I managed to make it through my whole life to this point without ever having seen this. I'd heard it referenced a lot and I was aware of its basic premise, but I never actually watched it until now.

Classic 80's goofball teen comedy. Nothing makes any sense at all, and it's glorious. Though secondary characters, Bill Paxton is at the height of his absurdity, and young RDJ's facial expressions are priceless. I especially love the 'hacking' effects, and bonus points for this gem in the soundtrack:

There are some bits that have aged poorly. I guess they're accurate representations of the time, but, still. I don't mean to sweep any of that under the rug, but I guess the nostalgia goggles make it difficult for me to jump on the anti-John-Hughes bandwagon.

The906 likes this.
  11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Chet is the best.

Roger Ebert's contemporary review still holds true, for the most part. It would be far more offensive without Kelly Lebrock playing it how she does. I think it's vastly less offensive today than Sixteen Candles, and even The Breakfast Club. The horny teens are portrayed as sex-mad children at the start, the woman they create doesn't sleep with them and basically ends up pitying them/mothering them, there are no offensive stereotypes, and no one gets raped and likes it. :p

synrgy likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

I still love when Chet gets turned into a disgusting blob. prob my fave scene.
    Anthony Michael Hall did nothing wrong
    Long Duk Dong and Mickey Rooney's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's still piss me off. They were lazy outdated stereotypes back when the films were first made (seriously, buck teeth and coke bottle glasses are straight out of WW2 propaganda). At least karate kid played up the positive stereotypes for asians.

13. KnightBrolaire

14. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I started watching Tusk about 2 years ago when our ISP went down at work but didn't get all that far before regaining the world wide. Totally forgot to pick up and finish it until seeing it pop up on Netflix this week. I knew the movie would be weird and kind of disappointed in myself for not guessing what was to come.

15. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

But did you find the answer to life's question: "Is man really a walrus"?

16. synrgy

Deadpool 2.

Pretty sure I liked it better than the first one. Will need to see it retains replay value over time, but I thought it was solid on the first pass. Their budget was roughly double that of the first movie, and it really shows. Production value aside, even, just in the writing, the humor seemed better timed (and better landed), and the pacing seemed better, too.

Approved.

17. synrgy

American Gangster.

Didn't like it as much as I expected to. Wasn't bad by any stretch, but I guess I had high expectations. Denzel was Denzel. Liked Crowe's performance more than usual. Actually forgot it was him for a stretch, which is always the goal. Probably coulda used more of the conflict between Denzel and Idris Elba's characters.

18. KnightBrolaire

Equalizer 2 aka black punisher pt. 2
    it was ok. the opening fight scenes were good, the story isn't terribly interesting though. the final setpiece has some cool moments but overall i think it was a less interesting film than the first movie.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Mission Impossible

Completely predictable but still decent.

Start around 11:30 in.

20. synrgy

Good Morning Vietnam (a couple weeks ago), and Dead Poet's Society (this morning).

Robin Williams was a treasure. I miss him.

I hadn't seen GMV since I was a kid. Great flick.

I'm not certain I'd ever seen DPS all the way through in one sitting, before. I was too young to 'get it' when it came out. I had no recollection of how it ended, so I wasn't prepared for it to turn tragic in the third act. Weighty. Really well done, though. I'm not certain that stories about kids feeling helplessly trapped in the shadow of their parent(s) will ever lose relevancy.

Rosal76 likes this.