Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Ant Man And The Wasp

Not as good, nor clever as the first one, but still just as fun. Though that's the Sloppy Seconds Sequel Syndrome talking.

There's actually a lot, perhaps too much plot and exposition going on, especially considering it's one of the more smaller light hearted MCU movies, which felt too convoluted and confusing at times. Still, it keeps the spirit of the original and some good laughs. There's a scene in the second act that Paul Rudd delivers so damn well (and Michael Douglass and Evangeline Lilly go along so convincingly) that it's both hilarious and awesome. Actually, Lilly is fantastic throughout the movie. The third act is also a fun spectacle with humorous gags aplenty.

I'm using the word fun a lot, but I guess that's what it was. Light hearted fun.

Also, maybe it's the nerd side talking, but I'm still surprised how people walk out of these movies once the credits roll. It's been 10 years, you've had 10 years of conditioning. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    LeviathanKiller and synrgy like this.
  2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I tend to have stuff on in the background while I work every day. Yesterday, I was on a bit of an 80's binge:

Top Gun: I'd had the Cheap Trick song solidly stuck in my head for the last month (because reasons?) so I figured I'd finally cave and give it an outlet. Amusingly, I'm still able to enjoy this movie, despite all of its obvious flaws which have definitely been underscored by three decades of hindsight. I guess it's just a timing thing: I saw it at a formative age/time in my life, so it's one of those movies that just kinda feels like 'home' whenever I watch it.

Commando: When I was a kid, I thought this movie was awesome. These days, I think it's hilarious.

Stand By Me: I hadn't seen this in a long time. Maybe a decade or two. I picked up on a lot of little things that I'd either forgotten, or never noticed at all during prior viewings. It definitely still holds up. There's just something 'timeless' about it (even though it's a period piece).

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

American Animals: pretty interesting heist movie about college kids stealing the most valuable books in north america. It's less Ocean's Eleven and more Heat/A Simple Plan (ie everything goes to shit). It's almost more documentary esque in its approach by mixing the real life kid's interviews in with the movie.
    Worth a rental, but I wouldn't recommend paying to see it in theaters.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

Late to the game... but Thor Ragnarock is already in my top 10 movies of all time.

I don't understand why Blockers is so highly rated? I thought it was meh at best.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

yeah blockers had some funny moments but overall I thought it was super meh.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

And I wanted to like it. I loved Cena in Trainwreck.

7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

How do you know? You can't see him!

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Dario Argento's Phenomena (110 min cut)

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That's probably the movie that I've spent the most money on. And I don't even like it all that much!

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Also going to watch Demons, Demons 2, and Inferno.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  11. wankerness

Ant Man 2 - It was probably an expectations thing as I hadn't really planned on going to see it at all, but I LOVED it up until the last 15 minutes or so. I found it much funnier than the original, and I think the action part of the climax is probably the best in any Marvel movie. I see a lot of reviews saying "it's funny, BUT IT LACKS THE STAKES/SCALE OF OTHER RECENT MARVEL MOVIES" as if that was a bad thing. This movie is so funny that I laughed really hard at the Stan Lee cameo, which is saying something considering not one of the last 30 was even close to funny!

Problems with it were really just the attempts at pathos, and the actress who plays Ghost. She's supposed to get all twisty with pain and anger in a few scenes, and she's not very good. She's certainly nowhere near as awful as Cara Delevigne or anything, but it got dodgy. Still, she's better than the Hank/his wife stuff, since Hank is just such a total asshole all the time that when it flips and asks us to care about his feelings it didn't work at all. But, oh well, the vast majority of the movie is great.

I think leaving before the first credit scene is a great idea, since it really undermines everything else and reminds me of Dawn of the Dead '04's credit sequence, which is the worst of all time and actually ruins that movie if you take it into account. There was a row of middle school/high school kids behind us, and it was funny when they all went WHAT?! C'MON!!!! at it. I agreed with them!

12. KnightBrolaire

Sicario: Day of the Soldado
    Just like the first film, it starts with a bang and ends with a bang. Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro do excellent jobs returning as their characters. Jeffrey Donovan (from Burn Notice) also returns and offers some minor comic relief at times. The action sequences are quick and dirty, which I thoroughly enjoy. It mimics other aspects of the first film successfully (ie the tense SF CQC scene, the converging side characters, minimalistic score and general grounded feeling).
    The score is very minimalistic with some occasional string swells and some thumping ominous synths that increase in pace/volume to build tension.
    I've seen some reviews claim the movie is fearmongering, which is bullshit imo, since other thrillers have dealt with the same concept of suicide bombers getting onto american soil via mexico. It's also basically a macguffin in this film. Fighting corrupt cops/cartel members and showing the progression of a young cartel member is what the movie is about.
    Overall I'd say it's as good as the first film.
    I'd say it's well worth a watch if you like the first one.

13. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

finally saw Schindler's List, GREAT movie.

14. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Demolition Man
    I saw it last night at the theater downtown. It was a lot of fun, it hit a nice balance cheesy action and comedy. Elliot Goldenthal's score was solid and Wesley Snipes made for a super entertaining villain. The funniest moment of the night actually arose from circumstance; a couple had brought their young children with them to see the movie and during the "sex scene" I heard a tiny voice from the front row ask "what is sex?", they must have had a long night. :lol:

15. KnightBrolaire

Ant Man and The Wasp
    It's a nice breather from the overall heaviness of Infinity war's story, with the majority of this story not having any significant impact on future films. I thought it was pretty entertaining and funny film, though not quite as much fun as Ragnarok was.
    I like how they didn't waste our time with a bunch of exposition telling what happened between this film and the first ant man (barring the few lines between Scott/Hope and Woo/Scott/cassie at the beginning of the film).
    the Ghost character's reasoning is kind of flimsy as an antagonist imo (pun not intended). I know that people in great pain will go to great lengths to deal with it, but she was basically just Black Ops Kitty Pryde (god i hope they retcon the xmen movies again and she ends up in Xforce).
    I like these later Marvel films where the villains are pretty sympathetic and more fleshed out. Ghost was somewhat sympathetic, but Walton Goggins was basically wasted in his role here imo. He's so damn good at scenery chewing/stealing the scene (just watch Justified or the Shield and you'll see what I mean).
    The kitchen fight was a lot of fun to watch, same with the car chase sequences.
    Very enjoyable film imo.

16. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

Blazing Saddles

The best cowboy movie ever.

synrgy likes this.
  17. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Thank fucking God I'm not the only one who enjoyed these movies. I'm hoping they make a third one, but I've got a feeling that everything will come full circle in the third if they make it. Also it was rather sad to know that
    his daughter was deaf because I don't know, I tend to think of children with handicaps as being, I don't want to say better in any way but... Fuck I don't know what the word is I'm looking for. But either way, this movie didn't compromise on a whole lot, similar to how the first one was.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

they already said there will be a third film, with a different director

19. wankerness

Nothing I've heard about the second makes me want to see it in the theater instead of waiting to redbox it :p The first one was really damn good though.

20. KnightBrolaire

It's more action oriented than the first, but it's still a very enjoyable, tense film. It's the same writers as the first, and I think it holds up to that movie.