Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

If it makes you feel better, marvel is probably already retconning all that shit so we can get a new wolverine. Personally I hope we get a Daken or X23 movie next.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

After The Wolverine, Jackman started saying he was done with the character, but that he might come back if they wanted to riff on the 'Old Man Logan' story. I think if the movie had been anything else, neither actor would have agreed to do it.

After Logan, both Jackman and Stewart have repeatedly said they were done.

EXCEPT, both actors offered (tongue-in-cheek?) remarks that they might reconsider if the characters got pulled into the MCU. It was a surprising middle-finger to Fox, especially considering Jackman was basically 'nobody' before they made him Wolverine -- and he wasn't even their original choice; they had already done several weeks of filming X1 with Dougray Scott cast as Wolvie, but then he got injured filming MI:2. Anyway, IIRC, they were making these statements before the Fox/Disney deal was a reality, so we'll see what (if anything) shakes out. I'm guessing not much, especially if the recent rumors of Stewart coming back as Captain Picard come to fruition.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've seen that reaction a lot of times, people mad that the movie made them feel something they didn't want to feel when they went into a "fun" movie. That scene was really shocking and making it that blunt and senseless was a brave and effective move. If he'd had some big heroic scene in slow motion with touching piano music playing while he, I dunno, pulled a Vazquez/Gorman or something it would have brought the movie down.

I watched Annihilation. It was similar to Ex Machina in that at some point I was like "wait...all that intelligent lead-up, and it's just really pretty shlock?!" Like, really, going in and for most of the movie I thought something profound was going to happen, and instead it's exactly what it looks like -
    a troop of soldiers goes in to find the problem and kill it. Increasingly abstract and bizarre and awesome scenes all lead up to the heroine handing a grenade to an alien in the middle of the shimmer and THE WHOLE THING GOES AWAY. Give me a break.

I HATED the framing device, too. I can't think of any movie that is improved by interviews with the main character interrupting the film periodically, but with something this weird it's especially distracting both in terms of upsetting the amazing visuals/tone and the stakes.

The visuals are really unique and the mood with them and the eerie Brad Fiedel-like score (albeit with low-frequency wubs) makes this a must-watch. And that fucking bear scene in the house is fantastic. It's much scarier than anything in Hereditary, and I LIKED that movie!!

4. KnightBrolaire

Yeah but the shimmer didn't go away before it replicated/altered oscar isaac/natalie portman's characters.
    I think that movie was way overhyped. I enjoyed the visuals/soundtrack and some of the creature designs/gore, but overall it just kind of plodded along. I enjoyed it enough the first time, but watching it a second time really soured me on the pacing.

5. wankerness

Yeah, but that doesn't alter the intelligence of the film in any way. That's just the silly monster movie putting a ? after the THE END like Reptilicus or something.
    We already knew that about Oscar Isaac and the Natalie Portman thing was just dumb (or it was that when they hugged he passed on the replicating genes or something).
    Who knows. It was shlock. I am guessing that if I watched it again without the expectations of something profound that I'd like it more. I liked it regardless thanks to the style. But man, that bear scene will not work as well after that first time.

Tessa Thompson is like the kid who played Geoffrey on GOT. She's WAY too good at playing horrible, arrogant characters that I just want to get killed so badly that I can't think of anything else during some of their scenes. Westworld and now this. She's like the new Michelle Rodriguez!!! (I actually liked TT in Thor: Ragnarok, quite a bit, I think they utilized those same powers in the right way).

EDIT: What the hell?! Gina Rodriguez was the mean asshole?! They look similar!! I am so used to her being a sweetheart on Jane the Virgin and Tessa Thompson being horrible that I had their characters backwards. Well, I look like an idiot. Gina Rodriguez clearly has serious range.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

If timey-wimey stuff is what you're referring to, nah, no problem. The amount of characters seemingly killed-off was what bugged me. I feel that having the new generation kids escape didn't balance against all of the loss presented.

I'm really late to watching movies so I put spoiler tags on for the people like me.

Yeah, it's one thing to do away with a couple of characters in a movie but in Logan you get rid of the present characters -- Caliban (minor), Wolverine, and Charles -- all in one go while also "btw'ing" that hey, everyone else important you know died too! Two of the present characters chosen to axed happened to be the only one other than Deadpool to get his own movies AND the other one is the leader of the group in all the other movies. It was a lot of characters to seemingly kill off at once. Until they retcon the series (if they decide to), they've pigeon-holed themselves into the recent past (James McAvoy period). Dark Phoenix is up next as is The New Mutants so we'll see what happens. I just dislike that they killed off everyone from a specific time period at once essentially. The MCU has way better support, you could kill off any two characters and things could still go on because you have many more dominant/series-supporting characters.

I actually enjoyed it not being so "happy". Totally okay with Charles dying and the negativity around his last moments but the implications of everyone else also being dead was what had me upset after the movie. I really liked Charles' helplessness that was portrayed in the movie like him being kept in the tank against his will, him having to be helped to go to the bathroom, and him being carried upstairs to bed. He came off as just an ordinary old man...who just happened to have extraordinary problems. It was very real.

Also, I don't remember any hints in the other movies towards the adamantium poisoining/weakening Wolverine. So all in one movie they invented brought up a complex character issue and in the same movie used it to kill off the character. That felt rushed. Having that hinted at in just ONE of the other movies would have made a world of difference imo (and maybe it was. My bad, if so.).

7. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow make a phenomenal musical team, and they have really been setting a new standard in this resurgence of synth music in film scoring that has come about in recent years. (This resurgence of 80s/90s-vibed synth music is giving the generic, homogenized "Hans Zimmer / Remote Control" ghostwritten crap a run for its money.)

Also, the sound design team for Annihilation should've gotten some honor or award, specifically for the sound morphing to create the bear's roar. To get the sampled/recorded layers of uttered animalistic sound to be that smooth and actually sound "like one" together (instead of multiple layered samples simply glued randomly) is no easy feat.

Necris and wankerness like this.
  8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Until the Light Takes Us

9. wankerness

That sound was creepy as hell and a big part of why that scene was so damn scary. Plus, it ties in with some of the more subtle grotesqueries of the creature design. Something I didn't notice while watching the movie was the hideous inclusion of a human skull on the left side of the bear's skull, facing outwards (along with a human lower jaw/teeth behind the bear's teeth). It's kind of covered up by the fur and the lighting in the film. But, the making-of featurette goes into a lot of detail on the design of it and shows a lot of the animatronics they used while filming it that were later subbed in with the CGI bear, and ugh. It's on the level of that heinous dual-faced fried alien they pull out of the snow at the beginning of the 82 version of The Thing. The only problem with the bear was that it reminded me of the mutant bear in Prophecy. Though, maybe that was a good thing.

Speaking of the sound, the whole thing had a pretty aggressive soundscape. I have a surround system, and it was pretty much constant loud surrounds with ambient "swamp" noises and the score being heavily pushed towards the back (usually it's more stereo). Also, the sound was VERY tightly tied to the score, to the point where I really had no idea if it was sound effects or score that we were hearing in the climactic reveal of
    the alien "petals" (when it spawns from Jennifer Jason Leigh).
    I thought that was really cool.

Anyone that likes this movie at all should get the blu-ray. It has well over an hour of making-of stuff that actually had effort put into it. Like, it has real discussion from many of the people involved with the movie along with tons of really cool design artwork and properly shot behind-the-scenes footage that gets into stuff that matters instead of being some puff-piece. It's really good, it reminded me of the good ol' days of DVD when we'd get stuff like those documentaries on the extended version of LOTR. It could have used a fourth section that covered sound and score, though.

10. Emperor Guillotine

I actually had a discussion about Annihilation last night where I brought up the fact that Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow absolutely deserve a mention for the music that plays during the lighthouse sequence - specifically with how the pitch-bent synth waveforms that you hear during the ultimate encounter with the antagonist synchronize with the visual action so perfectly that the synths transcend imitation and BECOME ONE with the antagonist, almost seeming to become the antagonist’s form of language/speaking even though it never utters a single word of dialogue or noise throughout its entirety onscreen. (Those who have seen the film [like you, wankerness] know exactly what I’m talking about.) THAT IS SUBCONTEXT, FOLKS. THE TRUE ROLE OF MUSIC IN FILM AND TV.

Necris and The906 like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

natural born killers is like looney tunes woth sociopaths, the tone is so weirdly comedic

12. Emperor Guillotine

Watched Hereditary (2018). I have never been so disappointed by a film. Ignore all of the positive reviews that hype it up. This film is a steaming pile of boring garbage.

13. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Thanks.

14. wankerness

I thought it was good! Ignore the negative reviews that hype it down.

I was thinking about The Witch most of the time I watched it, it's similar tonally and has some similar plot elements. I liked it more than that one. The middle party-gone-wrong sequence is fantastic. I didn't love the movie or anything, but that whole sequence (especially the way the kid behaves in shock and the aftermath the next morning) is great. Plus, I was very surprised by how they did not pull any punches in that whole sequence. That big close-up the next morning was quite something!

The ending got kind of stupid, but whatever. It's not deserving of hype as "the scariest movie ever," but I never expect to be scared by horror movies anyway, since I've seen 8 million of them, and thus I don't grade things by "WAS IT SCARY?!?!?!" It's pretty good. Compared to the mainstream idiotic jumpscare stuff with gigantic soundtrack hits (ie, It, Insidious, etc), it's really refreshing.

I would expect almost any mainstream audience member to hate it. You will not have a good time unless you're the kind of weirdo that also likes things similarly difficult things like say, The Neon Demon and The Witch and whatnot.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  15. Emperor Guillotine

The basic "jump scare" stuff has been overdone to the point that not even mainstream moviegoers are giving modern horror movies a shot anymore. Even total plebs have realized that there is no substance and no real scare...just the occasional loud noise with a possibly shocking image...then it's over. Boring, dull, and predictable.

I don't like that kind of stuff. I need more depth and more build/burn. I did enjoy The Witch which was a slow burn with a constant eerie atmosphere due to the setting (both time and location) of the story. I even posted on the previous page how much I enjoyed Darling when I watched it last week. But considering that Hereditary had such rave reviews (for whatever reason) which gave me such high hopes for it since I am a (former) horror movie buff...I was left only miserably disappointed. So miserably disappointed.

They could’ve chopped an hour and a half out of that movie’s two-hour runtime, and nothing would’ve been affected.

No scares. Period. "Scariest film of 2018. Making viewers jump in their seats." No. Definitely not. Absolute exaggeration by over-hyping.

Several attempts to mislead the audience by shifting who you think might be the real victim of the possession (the daughter, the mother, the son) as it runs through the family all fall flat. And then, several attempts to mislead the audience by addressing the mental health of the main character (not going to say which one) all fall flat. There are multiple glaring plot holes that the writers clearly tried to cover or sweep under the rug with endless, stereotypical, homogenized “suspense” tropes. (I guess they got lost themselves in their attempts to mislead the audience.) And the film’s ending was rushed as hell. (Literally wrapped a two-hour film in under five minutes.) Like you said, wankerness, the ending got stupid. I was expecting more. Then the director even tried to pass off the poor ending as being "metaphorical". No. There was nothing "metaphorical" about it. The possession was complete. The family's dark destiny was fulfilled. The end.

16. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

When I saw Hereditary it had every opportunity to impress me, I hadn't seen any of the hype for it until a day before (a youtube video ad, I skipped it) and the only knowledge I had of it was, I believe, based on a trailer which played before I saw A Quiet Place. It failed utterly. I think I said a few pages back that I liked it better than A Quiet Place, which I maintain is trash, but I'd hesitate to say it was anything more than okay, it wasn't worth theater prices to be sure. While I can see parallels to The Witch in terms of the story I think The Witch a vastly better film.
    This is actually the conclusion I came to about Hereditary's apparent success/popularity (5 star reviews on letterboxd continue to flow in fwiw). Beyond a marketing blitz claiming it was "A new generation's The Shining" (seriously, I saw that ad only after I'd seen it - thank goodness) and the scariest film of the year, it succeeds with mainstream audiences primarily due to conditioned low expectations. Hereditary must seem absolutely revolutionary to a viewer used to whatever trash horror is dripping out of Blumhouse or Platinum Dunes.
    For critics the film has just enough of an art-house veneer that they can credibly throw up their hands and say "Post-horror!" without having to admit to liking a horror movie.

17. wankerness

See, I HATE this kind of dismissal. It's so unbelievably subjective. It's unbelievably subjective for the same person depending on their mood/physical condition that day, even!! Thus, I can't grade any horror movies based on "scariness." Like, if I did that, movies I watched while stoned would be all the scary ones and anything I watched while even slightly tired would be all the "failures," no matter what the actually quality difference was between them! Once in a while the stars align and I watch something great while I'm also in a nervous mood and everything connects and I get the shit scared out of me (Ju-On: The Grudge, REC, to a limited degree Suspiria), but I'd say my list of favorite horror movies is mostly made of things that didn't scare me in the slightest. Like, Mulholland Dr (except maybe that winky's scene), Let the Right One In, Pan's Labyrinth, The Exorcist, The Fly '86, Don't Look Now, all scareless and all fantastic.

Regarding plot holes, here was my review, where I specifically said I was impressed that it DIDN'T have any plot holes and was really tightly constructed!!! That's funny. Where, exactly, did you see them?

7/10

I don't quite know how to feel about this, as it had zero effect on me either viscerally or jump-wise, yet it was clearly immaculately constructed and very bold. I would compare it directly to The Witch from a couple years ago, in quality, tone, general plot arc, and unfortunately my reaction. It's FAR nastier than that one, though. If I hadn't seen a million horror movies, there are a couple scenes that are really, truly nasty and I think would upset most viewers. One fairly early on could be considered to violate some serious unspoken taboos of US cinema.

Toni Colette gives yet another bold, crazy performance in something I ultimately didn't care very much about (I watched all of United States of Tara a few years ago, yet I can barely remember a thing about it). The rest of the family is quite good, with the daughter in particular being VERY strikingly weird.

The movie might be too long, but the script is very tightly wound and almost every single detail of the plot is there for a reason and ultimately pays off. It is vaguely comparable to Kill List in this regard. Plotwise, I'd probably compare it to some combination of Ju-On: The Grudge, The Changeling, Rosemary's Baby, and especially Don't Look Now, but it really isn't very similar to any of them. It's got things like seances and coping with death in the family, but it does NOT go in any directions that even seasoned horror vets are likely to anticipate.

It didn't "work" on me, but it was very obviously a quality movie. I'll have to watch it again some day when I'm feeling jumpier and see if it has more of an effect.

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

took the child to incredibles 2 . I enjoyed it. only seen the original once when it came out and cant remember much about it but had a few good laughs at the sequel and really dug the styling and the score

19. KnightBrolaire

blade of the immortal has some of the best sword fights since the rurouni kenshin live action movies. it totally nails the aesthetic and dark humor of the manga, but isn't quite as gory/rapey (it's still pretty damn gory though).
    i love the use of mostly practical effects, it just gives it a more grounded vibe.

20. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

Saw Hereditary last night and quite enjoyed it. I have to side with Wankerness in that for me, it's a pretty tightly written story with limited holes. Admittedly there was a couple of "turn on the damn lights!" moments (including one shot where the light switch is in the frame in the off position, with the character frozen, looking into the darkness) but other than that I have no beefs with it. I liked the inclusion of legit historical Occult mythology from The Lessor Key of Solomon, which is one thing that I find intriguing and scary. If you can handle a slow pace with an hour of pretty solid family drama in the middle, I say go for it.