Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

I watched Mom and Dad last night. It was a neat take on parenting/midlife crises/subverting parent's love for their kids into something horrific. The basic gist is there's a white noise signal being broadcast that manipulates parents into murdering their kids. There's wayyy too much shaky cam but some of the gore is quite visceral because of that. Letting crazy Nick Cage play Crazy midlife crisis Nick Cage was easily the best decision the casting team/director could make. Selma Blair is also great at veering between loving mother and psychotic murderer. The introduction of the grandparents later in the film had me cracking up since the grandpa/grandma were trying to murder Nick Cage, who's trying to murder his son at the same time. It's utterly ridiculous, which is why it was a pretty fun film.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

The shape of water

I enjoyed it. Def something I need to be in the mood for but I was. Thought it looked and sounded great .I dug the Paris soundtrack vibe ,mixed into the early 60's Baltimore

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  3. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Finally convinced my wife to watch Blade Runner last night, the original release was on Stan a streaming service here in Oz. She was a bit baffled at the fact the film has multiple versions but all up she really liked it.

Ralyks and The906 like this.
  4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Went nuts yesterday and watched more movies yesterday than I had in the last few months total! All of these are on Amazon or Netflix (a couple on HBO streaming), except You Were Never Really Here.

The Handmaiden - I avoided this for a couple years, despite being a huge fan of the director's other stuff (ex Oldboy, Thirst, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance), cause it looked like a boring chamber drama. But man alive, it's GREAT. It's a combo of back-stabbing chamber drama and sweeping romance, two things I don't normally like, but I loved it. It has a three-act structure with different perspectives and some cliffhangers and messing around with chronology and perception. And it definitely does have some touches of the weird (and the gross). The leads are great. It works much better as an emotionally involving romance than Blue is the Warmest Colour, which it seems fair to compare it to since it's an arty lesbian romance with some incredibly explicit sex.

You Were Never Really Here - Joaquin Phoenix is a dude with all kinds of psychological issues (apparent child abuse, PTSD from Iraq) whose job seems to be recovering kidnapped girls by killing their captors with a hammer. In his newest job, he gets in over his head when the target is a senator's daughter, and the senator gets murdered before he can return her. It's VERY hallucinatory and strange, and has a Johnny Greenwood score that might be his best yet. I'm not sure how much I liked it, but that score is incredible.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Vince Vaughn is a stoic, silent guy who's really good at beating the living shit out of people. He works as a drug runner, and one goes south that ends him up in jail and on the wrong side of a bigtime dealer, who tells him he must kill a certain prisoner, or his unborn child and wife will have some...very specific atrocities visited upon them. The catch is that he's in medium security prison, while the target is in maximum security prison, in the dungeon section that the warden keeps secret from the outdoors. It is flat and very deliberately paced and Vaughn doesn't even go to jail for an hour, but this is all for a slow, slow boil to the climax, which has some unbelievably violent material (and two variants on head crushes which rank with the best I've ever seen!). It's from the director of Bone Tomahawk, which explains a lot. It's good. And Vince Vaughn is GREAT here. I can't stand the guy normally. I guess being bald and barely talking and being a huge badass just works for him. I never realized he was 6'5".

Logan Lucky - great heist movie, about a white trash family (Adam Driver, Riley Keough, Channing Tatum) who recruit a nutty explosives expert (Daniel Craig) to steal a ton of money from a race track. It's a ton of fun, the characters are really likable, and I'd watch this repeatedly over any of the same director's goddam Ocean's movies.

Free Fire - an arms deal goes south in an abandoned factory, and the two sides shoot each other for 90 minutes. It's an achievement that it remains moving and relatively entertaining for the whole running time, but I didn't love it. I mainly just watched it for Brie Larson, but her part isn't really any better than anyone else's. The 70s setting means you can't tell half the characters apart cause of huge moustaches and mop hair.

Wendigo - two unpleasant city people and their boring kid go out to the countryside during the winter, and get on the wrong side of a psycho deer hunter. Also, the kid is told about an Indian shapeshifting spirit that can destroy people. Things go about how you'd expect. It's fine, nothing great, I liked the winter setting and the idea of a movie with the Wendigo, but it could have been a lot better.

The906 likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

"Two unpleasant city people and their boring kid..." :rofl:

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

[​IMG]

wankerness likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

Logan Lucky and Brawl in Cell block 99 were great. Cell Block 99 has some excellent gore/sound effects, probably some of the best I've seen in quite some time. I also dug Free Fire just for the pure ridiculousness of the idea.

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Papa, Grandfather Frost is Dead - Someone described this as Prerestroika-era Russian Eraserhead. That would be apt if you completely removed any and all humor from Eraserhead (and nearly all dialogue for that matter) and left an oppressive funereal atmosphere and sparse dream-like dialogue in its place. There are also no catchy songs. :lol: In the first 10 minutes a man wandering a flooded corridor trips and falls into a wire noose and is strangled to death, a little boy steals his clothes as his disabled father watches and then the boy resets the noose to catch another before they cart the corpse away. It's hard to choose, but that, or the scene immediately following it, may be the most "accessible" scene in the entire hour long film. I appreciated the atmosphere, but I don't think I'll watch it again any time soon.

The Last Family -
    A biopic on Polish surrealist painter Zdzislaw Beksinski. As a fan of his work I'd been wanting to see this one for a long time since I'd first heard it was in production. I'm happy to say that it's decent but I can't help but feel that most people, especially those who aren't aware of Beksinski, would get just as much out of browsing his Wikipedia entry or a reading a brief biography online.

Sorcerer -
    I'd heard good things about this film and apparently it's enjoyed something of a critical re-evaluation, but overall it simply wasn't for me. Tangerine Dream's score is great, though!

9. wankerness

Sorcerer and Wages of Sin are both classics, but neither one is perfect. Sorcerer cuts out a good 45 minutes of boring puttering around town at the beginning, but Wages of Sin is more involving during the actual truck driving (even if it can't come close from a technical standpoint). I think both are very good. The Tangerine Dream score is good and creepy. I found the LP in a used record bin recently!

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I bought a 4K Blu Ray player, and with it, The Peanuts Movie and Straight Outta Compton. I asked my almost 3 year old son what he wanted to watch. He didn't pick Peanuts...

... Oh well, he can watch Compton when he's older :lol:

11. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Come and See and Under The Skin, they're both immediate favorites. Come and See needs a proper Blu-ray release outside of Japan.

On the completely opposite end of the quality spectrum Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe, what a beautiful, entertaining disaster of a movie. Carlos Lopes deserves special recognition for writing a score which feels consistently jarringly out of place in a movie where almost nothing works to begin with. I got it in a 2-movies-on-one-DVD set that I picked out of a box marked "free" (I got some other movies too), the other film on the DVD is Slipstream - I can't choose between the two.

12. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I finally got around to watching John Wick last night. My wife remarked early on that she hoped that nothing bad happened to the puppy- so we know that spoiler culture doesn't reach everyone.

I'd put it in the category of Movies I Enjoyed But Don't Understand All the Brouhaha About Them. I think that if you'd like to see a stylized & deliberately-cheesy action movie featuring a typically-laconic actor in big, dumb set pieces, Shoot 'Em Up is a better movie and I was constantly reminded of that while watching this.

13. KnightBrolaire

Shoot Em Up is a great movie but it's completely different in tone from John Wick. Shoot Em Up knows that it's an inherently stupid action movie and has lots of winks and nods to that throughout the film. John Wick isn't self aware in the same way. I think part of why a lot of people (myself included) loved it was because the fight scenes were very fluid and did something relatively different in terms of choreography. The second one is even better in terms of fluid choreography and relatively grounded gunfights/hand to hand combat.

wankerness likes this.
  14. Bloody_Inferno

To elaborate with John Wick, the fluid choreography is really apparent when compared to say the Taken movies which relied heavily in frequent cuts and edits. John Wick's action felt grounded real and you knew what was going on. Kind of an evolution of the old Hong Kong action films of the 90s.

Also helps that Keanu Reeves does a great job of making the character feel human. The way he staggers and feels the pain of every blow and wound shows John Wick is not invincible and adds a lot of depth you normally don't pay attention to in action scenes.

15. wankerness

Plus, a revenge film about a puppy is WAY more emotionally charged than one about a spouse or whatever :D

16. Bloody_Inferno

You know, the first Taken is a guilty pleasure of sorts for me. Sure it's a dumb fun power fantasy Dad action movie for the old and grumpy demographic (as was recent Equaliser movie, which was also dumb fun), but they were fun in a ridiculous way. Turn your brain off and watch Liam Neeson beat up people. The sequels on the other hand are terrible. Taken 2 had a great premise only to be completely contrived and by the numbers predictable to the point were it was pointless while Taken 3 was literally The Fugitive.

17. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Darling (2015)

The entire production of this indie film seemed to follow this idea of: "Hey, what if we made a horror movie in 2015 that looked, sounded, and felt like it belonged 50 years ago in the 1960s?" Because of this, the film is colored in black and white; and everything about it is stripped down, minimalistic, and gives that strong, raw, "shot-on-a-shoestring-budget" indie vibe.

A simple premise. A simple plot. A simple cast. A simple script with simple dialogue. A simple setting. A simple score.

The plot is nothing new. It is essentially an equal blend of Polanski's memorable 1965 flick Repulsion and Kubrick's classic 1980 take on Stephen King's The Shining. If you've seen either film (or both), then you'll immediately recognize the setup and the elements of Repulsion and/or The Shining in less than five minutes after the start of Darling. In fact, many elements of Darling are pretty much shamelessly carbon-copied from its two predecessor flicks.

The minimalism contributes to the constantly claustrophobic and somewhat gritty feel of the film. Silence plays a big role, and the usage of diagetic sound from the main character's perspective (such as the stereotypical creaking doors or the constantly ticking clock anytime a scene takes place on the bottom floor of the house) adds to the growing sense of dread as the film progresses. Not much action happens, and not much is said; but a lot happens psychologically to both the main character and to the viewer, which is what makes this film one of the most unnerving movies that I've seen in quite a long time. You're NOT going to suffer from cheap, half-assed "jump scares" and loud noises or gut-wrenching imagery that will frighten you out of your wits; but you will feel the mental breakdown portrayed between both what is seen onscreen and what is NOT seen throughout Darling's achingly slow burn within the short span of less than 80 minutes. (Quite a paradox that such a short film feels longer...yet kind of in a good way as the six chapters of Darling menacingly churn onscreen.)

Due to the rapid, quick cuts spliced throughout the film, there is a seizure warning at the very beginning. I'm not sure if that would entice potential viewers or turn them away. Just be careful if you or someone you know deals with epilepsy.

18. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I caught up on al of the X-Men movies this weekend since X-Men: The Last Stand. There's so much timeline editing done that it's kinda hard to keep track of what the current timeline is but anyway...

I was happy until I finished Logan.
    The scene with Professor Charles Xavier dying was awful. That and the fact that basically everyone important is now dead totally blows. I hate it when they come up with weird twisted plots that "revive" characters or undo other writer's changes but dangit they need to undo the premise of Logan. It made watching all of the other movies near pointless. All of those crises averted only to have the important characters killed by one of their own. Geez

19. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Man, you watched all of them, and Logan is where you're drawing a line? Not X3? Not DoFP? Not Apocalypse?

I guess everything is subjective. Fair enough.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

It's been over a year, spoiler tags can fuck right off

Sounds like he's more mad/sad about how Logan was the closing of the X-Men chapter that started so long ago, and that means Stewart as Xavier, and Jackman as Wolverine - two huge roles in the comic movie world - won't be seen again

LeviathanKiller, synrgy and The906 like this.