Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I watched Mom and Dad last night. It was a neat take on parenting/midlife crises/subverting parent's love for their kids into something horrific. The basic gist is there's a white noise signal being broadcast that manipulates parents into murdering their kids. There's wayyy too much shaky cam but some of the gore is quite visceral because of that. Letting crazy Nick Cage play Crazy midlife crisis Nick Cage was easily the best decision the casting team/director could make. Selma Blair is also great at veering between loving mother and psychotic murderer. The introduction of the grandparents later in the film had me cracking up since the grandpa/grandma were trying to murder Nick Cage, who's trying to murder his son at the same time. It's utterly ridiculous, which is why it was a pretty fun film.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

The shape of water

I enjoyed it. Def something I need to be in the mood for but I was. Thought it looked and sounded great .I dug the Paris soundtrack vibe ,mixed into the early 60's Baltimore

3. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Finally convinced my wife to watch Blade Runner last night, the original release was on Stan a streaming service here in Oz. She was a bit baffled at the fact the film has multiple versions but all up she really liked it.

The906 likes this.
  4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Went nuts yesterday and watched more movies yesterday than I had in the last few months total! All of these are on Amazon or Netflix (a couple on HBO streaming), except You Were Never Really Here.

The Handmaiden - I avoided this for a couple years, despite being a huge fan of the director's other stuff (ex Oldboy, Thirst, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance), cause it looked like a boring chamber drama. But man alive, it's GREAT. It's a combo of back-stabbing chamber drama and sweeping romance, two things I don't normally like, but I loved it. It has a three-act structure with different perspectives and some cliffhangers and messing around with chronology and perception. And it definitely does have some touches of the weird (and the gross). The leads are great. It works much better as an emotionally involving romance than Blue is the Warmest Colour, which it seems fair to compare it to since it's an arty lesbian romance with some incredibly explicit sex.

You Were Never Really Here - Joaquin Phoenix is a dude with all kinds of psychological issues (apparent child abuse, PTSD from Iraq) whose job seems to be recovering kidnapped girls by killing their captors with a hammer. In his newest job, he gets in over his head when the target is a senator's daughter, and the senator gets murdered before he can return her. It's VERY hallucinatory and strange, and has a Johnny Greenwood score that might be his best yet. I'm not sure how much I liked it, but that score is incredible.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Vince Vaughn is a stoic, silent guy who's really good at beating the living shit out of people. He works as a drug runner, and one goes south that ends him up in jail and on the wrong side of a bigtime dealer, who tells him he must kill a certain prisoner, or his unborn child and wife will have some...very specific atrocities visited upon them. The catch is that he's in medium security prison, while the target is in maximum security prison, in the dungeon section that the warden keeps secret from the outdoors. It is flat and very deliberately paced and Vaughn doesn't even go to jail for an hour, but this is all for a slow, slow boil to the climax, which has some unbelievably violent material (and two variants on head crushes which rank with the best I've ever seen!). It's from the director of Bone Tomahawk, which explains a lot. It's good. And Vince Vaughn is GREAT here. I can't stand the guy normally. I guess being bald and barely talking and being a huge badass just works for him. I never realized he was 6'5".

Logan Lucky - great heist movie, about a white trash family (Adam Driver, Riley Keough, Channing Tatum) who recruit a nutty explosives expert (Daniel Craig) to steal a ton of money from a race track. It's a ton of fun, the characters are really likable, and I'd watch this repeatedly over any of the same director's goddam Ocean's movies.

Free Fire - an arms deal goes south in an abandoned factory, and the two sides shoot each other for 90 minutes. It's an achievement that it remains moving and relatively entertaining for the whole running time, but I didn't love it. I mainly just watched it for Brie Larson, but her part isn't really any better than anyone else's. The 70s setting means you can't tell half the characters apart cause of huge moustaches and mop hair.

Wendigo - two unpleasant city people and their boring kid go out to the countryside during the winter, and get on the wrong side of a psycho deer hunter. Also, the kid is told about an Indian shapeshifting spirit that can destroy people. Things go about how you'd expect. It's fine, nothing great, I liked the winter setting and the idea of a movie with the Wendigo, but it could have been a lot better.

The906 likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

"Two unpleasant city people and their boring kid..." :rofl:

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

[​IMG]

wankerness likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

Logan Lucky and Brawl in Cell block 99 were great. Cell Block 99 has some excellent gore/sound effects, probably some of the best I've seen in quite some time. I also dug Free Fire just for the pure ridiculousness of the idea.

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Papa, Grandfather Frost is Dead - Someone described this as Prerestroika-era Russian Eraserhead. That would be apt if you completely removed any and all humor from Eraserhead (and nearly all dialogue for that matter) and left an oppressive funereal atmosphere and sparse dream-like dialogue in its place. There are also no catchy songs. :lol: In the first 10 minutes a man wandering a flooded corridor trips and falls into a wire noose and is strangled to death, a little boy steals his clothes as his disabled father watches and then the boy resets the noose to catch another before they cart the corpse away. It's hard to choose, but that, or the scene immediately following it, may be the most "accessible" scene in the entire hour long film. I appreciated the atmosphere, but I don't think I'll watch it again any time soon.

The Last Family -
    A biopic on Polish surrealist painter Zdzislaw Beksinski. As a fan of his work I'd been wanting to see this one for a long time since I'd first heard it was in production. I'm happy to say that it's decent but I can't help but feel that most people, especially those who aren't aware of Beksinski, would get just as much out of browsing his Wikipedia entry or a reading a brief biography online.

Sorcerer -
    I'd heard good things about this film and apparently it's enjoyed something of a critical re-evaluation, but overall it simply wasn't for me. Tangerine Dream's score is great, though!

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Sorcerer and Wages of Sin are both classics, but neither one is perfect. Sorcerer cuts out a good 45 minutes of boring puttering around town at the beginning, but Wages of Sin is more involving during the actual truck driving (even if it can't come close from a technical standpoint). I think both are very good. The Tangerine Dream score is good and creepy. I found the LP in a used record bin recently!